PDA

View Full Version : Won Brothers Heaters

geodehunter
01-25-2006, 09:05 PM
For those of you using Won Brothers heaters are there any pro's or con's with them. Just wondering what type of heaters to run in my new setup. Thanks

alpine
01-25-2006, 09:27 PM
I have read so much about heaters this year, I think there are Pros and Cons with every heater out in the market. I have had trouble with my Won heaters , I have the LCD type 250 and 150 watt heaters. I have come to the conclusion that they are a good quality heater, the finish and design I think are first class,they have a safety shut off so they will never stick on and fry your fish(I think Hagen is the only other heater with that feature) you have to send $10.00 plus pay the shipping to get their warranty, that does not inspire you to buy their product.. the Lcd controller is delicate, but for what I hear controllers of all heaters are delicate unless you go into a higher price and quality range. I heard from a reliable source my problems might have been caused by not aclimatizing the heater(letting it sit in water before plugging it in for about an hour) .
Overall I have concluded that I will still buy Won heaters.

roberto.
Fisrt Year Discus Keeper..

Elcid
01-25-2006, 10:13 PM
The most amazing thing is that you can still pick up the old ebo heaters on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ebo-Jager-Aquarium-Heater-250W-Submersible-120-Gallons_W0QQitemZ7727949591QQcategoryZ46311QQssPag eNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hexed
01-25-2006, 11:35 PM
I use (2) Jebo 300 watt heaters in my 55 gallon tanks, I have tried others and they failed but my Jebos never let me down ;)
Frank

dtownkennel
01-26-2006, 03:31 AM
Won heaters suck!!!:D

pcsb23
01-26-2006, 03:48 AM
Theres a sticky at the top of this section with loads of good links, also in this section this thread should help.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=40892

Paul.

Timbo
01-26-2006, 05:09 AM
yes, read that thread before you buy one Won.

i just changed my heating system in my 90gal and I went with a 500 watt titanium heater from Custom Aquatic along with the Jalli heater controller.

http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/brandcategory.asp?brandID=JL&catID=he

troyclark
01-27-2006, 09:57 AM
I bought 9 won brothers heater over the last year and only 3 are still working as originally contructed. I bought 2 of the 500 watt and 1 still works. I don't really trust it though and have it in my water storage tank. After the other one shot craps I plugged the element into a wall outlet and it didn't warm up at all. Out of the 7 350's I bought only 2 still work. Some of the rest of them I cut the cords off the controller, threw the controller away and put a plug on the end of them to see if the elements still heat up. On the ones that did I plugged them into a Jalli heater controller and they have been good ever since. I have two of the 350's on one Jalli controller to run my 180 and it seems pretty good now that they are on a good quality controller. I would highly suggest that you not use Won Brothers heaters if at all possible. I have bought 4 300 watt ViaAqua (2-titaniums and 2-stainles steel) and two 150 watt titanium ViaAqua's and so far they are working like champs. There's my two cents. HTH

jeep
01-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Do not buy a Won. Don't look at it! Don't even THINK about it!! :D

funkyfish
01-27-2006, 01:47 PM
i bought a won and it quit working after 6 months. i like stealth heaters by visatherm very good heaters

discus4life
01-27-2006, 03:02 PM
here is the pro and con. pro heat really well. con dont last long. their replacement program socks. cost 5 bucks per heater. i bought three last year. all die with in 6 months. did not bother to exchange. forget about it.

Bainbridge Mike
01-27-2006, 05:11 PM
I purchased a 350W digital (ProheatII, I think) about 18 months ago--before all the posts discussing problems with Won Bros. heaters. Mine has worked flawlessly and continuously (knock wood) to date. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Mike