PDA

View Full Version : Quick Sponge Filter Questions

DiscusStudent
01-26-2006, 11:51 AM
I have a 25 gallon bb setup which I recently added breeders to. The tank has been set up and running for a couple of months (with Juvi's before I acquired the breeders). My question is this: can you have too much biological filtration? When setting up the tank I used 2 Hydro-sponge 3's which alone are rated for a 40 gallon. Is it bad for me to be over filtering with sponges? The next question I have is about sponge maintenance. I've read that they should be cleaned (squeezed?) into old tank water to save the bacteria colonies. How frequently does this need to be done and how thoroughly do they need to be cleaned?

Thanks
-Matt

Alight
01-26-2006, 12:28 PM
You can't over do biofiltration. The only problem is the physical space the sponges take up. The ratings given are only max ratings. I think they overestimate this. I believe one rated for 40 gallons will really only do a 20 gallon.

As to cleaning, I clean my sponge filters every time I change the water. This is once a day for my baby tank, and once every three days for my adults. Put the tank water in a bucket when you're doing the change, throw in the sponges and squeeze vigorously for a while. Lots of junk will come out. The throw out the water, refill the bucket and do it again. Do it until the water after you're done squeezing is fairly clear (hard to get it absolutely clear). Don't do it this vigorously if your tank has been cycled less than a couple of months. Before they are thorougly cycled, just squeeze them out in one or two fresh buckets of tank water.

DiscusStudent
01-26-2006, 04:06 PM
I was kind of figuring that having an extra sponge wouldn't hurt much. Thanks for maintenance tips!