PDA

View Full Version : Another vacation question

Sue50
01-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the site and fairly new to keeping Discus. I got 6 Discus last October. They were around 2 1/2 to 3 inches and are all now between 4 1/2 to 5/12 inches. They are in a 110 gallon barebottom tank with 3 sponge filters and 2 Emporer 400 HOB's. Their tank mates are 1 pair of Bolivian Rams and 3 pairs of German Blue Rams. I am leaving for a 13 day vacation. I've read your vacation care threads and it seems most of you suggest not feeding. I have a lady that comes each day to feed all my fish, and my married daughter is going to do a 85 gallon water change after the first 7 days. Here is my question.

I'll do a 85 gallon water change early in the morning before we leave. Should my daughter feed them when she changes the water mid vacation? Or should they be fed lightly once a day since they are so young? 14 days is a long time. They will eat anything, including Tetra Color Bits. Sounds like that is the cleanest food. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in Advance
Sue

pcsb23
01-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Sue,

If you have someone coming in that can feed them do so. The problems that occur are when the person overfeeds them believeing it helps. What I've done in the past is to put the daily amount into little packets and labelled them with day and date. Then all they have to do is empty the packet into the tank!.

Another otion is to use an auto feeder, if so I (and most of this site I think!!) would recomend the eheim auto feeder.

hth,
Paul.

RyanH
01-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Hi Sue,

Welcome to Simply!:)

Since your fish are probably close to being full grown (around 5"), getting fed every day isn't as crucial as it was, say in October.

As Paul said, if you can get ahold of an autofeeder (I also love my Eheims), I'd set it for maybe one light feeding a day so you aren't sacrificing your water quality. If not, I wouldn't be too terribly concerned about it. Discus can go quite awhile without eating with no ill effects.

IMO, what's more important is that your fish aren't living in filthy water while you are gone.

-Ryan

Sue50
01-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks for your speedy replies.
pcsb23, I use ketsup cups from McDonald and fill them for each day so she just dumps it. I have a friend that owns a McDonalds so I am blessed with a lifetime supply of these.
RyanH, thanks for your reply, I was wondering how big they get and when they are considered full grown, because I read you shouldn't let baby Discus go unfed, but that it was not too harmful for adults. So do you both think a very light feeding of color bits once a day would be the way to go?

I've always been fortunate to be able to hire this lady to come over and feed, rinse filters, add water (sump on one show tank).

pcsb23
01-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Yes, one light feeding a day. As Ryan says going without food isn' that big a deal, living in poor water is. BTW lucky you having someone you can trust to come in and feed!
Paul.

RyanH
01-26-2006, 02:31 PM
One light feeding of Colorbits every day or every other day should probably be fine for you. If your friend can do a water change or two or even just syphon out any waste while your gone, then all the better.

A 5" Discus is no longer considered a juvenile. They could well put on more size for you, but IMO, they are out of their crucial growth months where 4-6 feedings a day is pretty important.

Enjoy your vacation Sue (I'm really jealous:( ). Let us know how things go for you when you get back.

-Ryan

Sue50
01-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Yes, it's fortunate to have my gal. I'm going to ask her to rinse the filter pads every day like I do. I can't imagine how nasty they would get in a week. She loves the fish and worries about losing an Angel while I'm gone. This will be her first time with the Discus, I'm sure she will be in awe of them. I know I am. lol

Thanks again for the warm welcome and the advise. I really enjoy looking through your archives when I have a question. I just didn't see the exact circumstances I was facing, so I couldn't resist posting. I'll be glad to post the condition of my fish when I get back. I sure hope it won't be bad news.;)

Sue

P.S. Thanks for the birthday wish late last month from your website. It was a pleasant surprise.

Sue50
01-27-2006, 10:39 AM
One other thing I forgot to ask about are the the tank lights. They are set on a timer to come on at 8 in the morning, off at 1 pm until 3pm, then off for the night at 8pm. Should this remain the same?

pcsb23
01-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Yes, I would leave it as it is.

Paul.

Sue50
01-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Ok, thanks so much, I leave Sunday.;)

pcsb23
01-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Enjoy your vacation, btw where are you going?? somwhere nice I hope!

Sue50
01-27-2006, 12:14 PM
Scottsdale Az. for 6 days, then a golf resort in Mesa Az. for 7 days. Golf golf golf, that's my husbands ideal vacation. lol Ok, I like it too. I also like to horseback ride in the desert and of course shop, oh, and did I mention eating at different restaurants than we have in our smal midwestern town.;) Thanks, we will enjoy it.

Sue50
02-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi. we got back last night after dark. I couldn't wait until this morning to look at the fish!! They all look famntastic. My daughter did a 90 gallon water change twice in the 13 days we were gone. And of course we fed minimally. Thanks for all your advise.:D
Sue

Organic Farmer
02-12-2006, 12:38 PM
check out sedona az youll be glad you did

pcsb23
02-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Sue,

Glad the fish were ok, they are a lot tougher than we credit! Hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Paul.

Sue50
02-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks Paul, I was worried about them while gone and was so relieved to see they were in great shape!

We have stayed in Sedona before harleyguy. It's really beautiful. We plan to go back sometime.
Sue