PDA

View Full Version : filtration question

dax29
01-26-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm running an Aquaclear 300, an Emporer 400, and a Whisper 30 on a 55 gallon tank. Do I need a sponge filter too, for aeration and grabbing bad stuff on the bottom? Do I need pre-filter sponges on the intakes to the HOBs? What type of filter media do you use in HOB filters like these? I know activated carbon is a no no. I may take the Supercartridge SC6 and use a microfiltration pad in place of the carbon-impregnated sponge on the Emporer.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13375&N=2004+113804
I don't run carbon in the AC and I can use a pad in the Whisper.

What do you think about all these questions and ideas?

Cosmo
01-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Dax,

You probably have enough filtration. A sponge filter certainly wouldn't hurt, and may come in handy for a hospital tank once it's cycled, but you'll probably be fine without it.

Yes you should have prefilter sponges on your HOBs. I know Carol makes her own but you need to be really careful because many sponges come pretreated with chemicals that will kill your fish. You can buy prefilter sponges at most the online supply stores, but I'm not sure what will fit your HOBs :confused: the Emperor with it's square lift tube is especially problematic..

Your AC I think should already have sponges, doesn't it? I don't have one but from what I've read this will do fine. Yes, remove the carbon unless you want to change it every few days, which would get very expensive.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com used to sell "cell pore media" inserts for both your filters that are trememdous for biological filtering. If they still sell these, and I believe they do, I'd recommend them, they will nicely compliment the sponges and bio wheels and increase the bio load capacity of your tank.

hth
Jim

dax29
01-28-2006, 01:28 AM
I have found a pre-filter for a submersible pump that is pretty big and, although the opening is round, should accomodate the rectangular uptake of the Emporer. The suction created by the pump should help hold it on and since it won't be fastened it should be easy to take off.

dax29
01-28-2006, 01:31 AM
I also think I can heat and soften the plastic on the intake so it will accept the Filter Max III. I have more uptake pipe than I need anyway.

wheeler
02-14-2006, 02:54 PM
for my pre-filter sponge, i just used a square sponge that i found at my LFS and slit a hole in the end about halfway through and slipped it on the end of the intake. works for me and it was cheap. i would advise against buying sponges at grocery stores or dicount stores as they are likely treated with chemicals, LFS are generally the way to go for these.