PDA

View Full Version : NADA Newsletter - FREE SAMPLE

Carol_Roberts
01-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Go to http://www.discusnada.org/ Look at the menu bar on the left and click on NADA News Letter. Be patient - it takes a few minutes to load. You'll find several great articles! Topics include SELECTING DISCUS, treating HEADSTANDING, using PP, and a very interesting article by Willie Loh on the benefits of 90%+ water changes rather than 50%.

Let us know what you think of the newsletter :)

Ardan
01-28-2006, 06:54 AM
In my honest opinion.
I think it is well written and very informative.:)
Thank you, I will read it again after work today.:) (did not retain all the info the first time)

Ardan

Jarrod
01-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Very well written!! and very informative as well!
Thanks for sharing it with us.:) :)

BIGFOOT
01-28-2006, 02:28 PM
It was very helpful for me. I enjoyed the part about water changes. Also though it was well written.

candyl70
01-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Great first News letter Carol. I enjoyed reading it, and found all of it to be a very good resource!

Candy

lkleung007
01-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi Carol,

You all did a great job on the newsletter...very helpful for Discus hobbyists of all levels.

Well Done!!

Lester

Carol_Roberts
01-29-2006, 09:18 PM

CAGE-RATTLER
01-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Great newsletter carol!

Ive heard willie say before how much he believes in the large water changes and its actually pretty much common sense that constantly doing small changes ...... will never get you back to the pristine conditions you originally start at.

Personally i dont do enough large changes especially in my 100 gallon community tank. But i do a 75% WC once a week on it ......... and when nitrate gets to high i try to do even more ...... like a 90% change and repeat that 2 days later to get me back to a low nitrate reading.

If it was a barebottom tank ............. i would opt for the 100% once a week tho.
Now on my grow out tank .... ive been doing 50% each day and the nitrates keep rising so i did a 95% WC last night to get it back to optimum levels. This tank is almost fully cycled now ............. and i will probably start doing the massive WC's for now on. I just need to keep an eye on the nitrates to see how long i can wait to do them.

My tank looked pretty similar to that pic of willies with the discus laying on theyre sides on the bottom of the empty tank in the newsletter .............. and it didnt seem to bother them one bit. In fact they seemed happier to have the cleaner water now and were very freindly and hungry all evening.

I mainly drained it down that far to get the nitrates back under control ........... but ive also had a small juvie thats been staying dark with white stringy poo and was getting ready to do a metro treatment. The tank was getting a grey waxy build up on the airlines and black suction cups and heater cables too and i wanted to do a major cleaning before doing the metro treatments. In cleaning everything ........... there was gunk floating every where ........... so i kept vaccuming it out and letting it settle ...and vacumming again ....... till it was almost gone .......... then did the huge WC.

Now im back to a clean tank and low nitrates again and starting the metro treatment.

I did notice Willy had one line backwards i believe but im sure most could see that too so it was no biggie ..... lol.

"The model, however, shows the relative efficacy of making many small water changes versus fewer larger ones."

(that was in reference to his TABLE 1 chart)

Your article on PP was very informative as im a relative newby with discus and trying to learn more on the proper treatments and when needed.

I do have a couple questions tho ................

I understand that your doing the PP treatment for the gill flukes but when you said to remove bacteria .............. are you talking about bacteria on the fish or in the tank in general .... or both (im assumng both).

You also said it will remove the bio load? Im assuming with that you are referring to detoxifying the ammonia, nitrite & nitrates??

Cann PP also be used to help steralize a tank while fish are in it??(Im assuming yes since it sounds like it kills the bad bacteria in the tank)

And since you said remove the filter media ........... im assuming it would also kill the beneficial nitrifying bacteria as well? So im assuming you would need to remove the sponge filters and anything else the grows the beneficial bacteria?

Im also assuming it would kill any beneficial bacteria in the gravel and rocks and driftwood in my community tank??
Sorry if these questions sound stupid ...... lol .......... but im just trying to make sure i fully understand its use better and what all it can be used for.

Thanx

chris allsop
01-31-2006, 01:11 AM
not read it yet but i will when i have finished work.

DiscusStudent
01-31-2006, 02:06 AM
Awesome newsletter! Very informative, I learned a lot! Just kind of curious... how many NADA members are there? I will probably join here sometime soon, especially if there are more newsletters like that :D

Timbo
01-31-2006, 09:13 AM
thanks Carol! great newsletter, very professional

Cage: that quote is fine as is (the "relative efficacy" is shown as smaller -and can be shown either way and still be relative)

chris allsop
01-31-2006, 10:38 AM
dito
great letter.
very informative, i learned alot!!
thanks for sharing!!

Carol_Roberts
02-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Think of PP as fire. The PP "burns up" everything in it's path that is small enough to be oxidized. . . good bacteria, bad bacteria, copepods, flukes, algea. There can be a residue (like ash) left in the tank. If you put enough in it will burn up the fishes' gills and kill the fish too. NADA currently has about 95 members now.

CAGE-RATTLER
02-01-2006, 07:09 PM
thanks Carol! great newsletter, very professional

Cage: that quote is fine as is (the "relative efficacy" is shown as smaller -and can be shown either way and still be relative)

It just sounded to me like that line was saying more small water changes are more efficient than large water changes .......... which is just the opposite of what he was trying to convey in the entire article.

Maybe i just interpreted it wrong?