PDA

View Full Version : Do pairs just suddenly stop?

pikashy
01-28-2006, 01:20 AM
I had a pair of pigeon bloods that have successfully breed 2 batches. I am currently raising both of the two batches in a 40 gallon tank and left the pair alone in a 29 gallon.

A week after I transferred the second batch, they spawned but ate the eggs. Then another week, another spawn, eaten again. I figured it was the formalin in the water to prevent fungus that prompted them to eat the eggs, so the third time, I didn't add formalin after they laid eggs. Then their next batch, the eggs were not eaten but all turned white and then all gone. The next two spawnings produced the same results - eaten eggs after they turned white. It seems they have "de-proved" their spawning techniques.

It's been 3 weeks now with no signs of spawning. Anyone have tips or comments or have experienced this type of problem?

Rod
01-28-2006, 03:23 AM
Hi,

It is not unusual for a pair to have a rest every now and again. A normal spawning season will last for a few months with the pair spawning every week or so, then take a break for awhile lasting 4 to 8 weeks. Normally i would take the pair out and put them into a community tank during this period and set another pair up, but leaving them together should be ok as well as long as they get on well together.

Rod