PDA

View Full Version : New Ebo Jager Heater Performance opinions

Jeff_Hart
01-28-2006, 02:36 AM
I ordered 10 of the new Ebo Jager heaters about 3 months ago. In a 29gallon, one (of any of the 10) heater will maintain a decent temperature, but cannot go above 86 degrees. My 55’s I have to use two. In my 125 I am using four with glass tops. In my 75’s two would be needed.
Three of the ten cannot maintain a temperature over 80 degrees in a 29.
My few remaining older Ebo’s I can run any temperature on one heater in a 55. I even have a “Green Ebo” that heats a 55, to 90 degrees if I need.
Room temperature is a bit chilly at 68 degrees.

I see constant recommendations for the Ebo heaters and have to wonder if it is the older heaters or are the recommendations for the newer ones. Any other experiences with the “New” Ebo Jagers?

cobaltblue
01-28-2006, 02:40 AM
Hi Jeff, i have two of the new eheim jager heaters in my 90g (250w X 2)
and they keep it nice and even at 85, and have gone up to 90 without a problem.

Im my 125 i have two 300w hydors, and i am very pleased with them. constant 84 degrees, and go higher if needed. :)

lkleung007
01-28-2006, 02:50 AM
Hi Jeff,

I find the new Ebo's unreliable...I now use Visitherm's Stealth. I can easily heat a 75G with one 250W Stealth heater without a problem.

HTH, Lester

CAGE-RATTLER
01-28-2006, 04:12 AM
Hey Jeff,

Im sure you probably know more about them than i do ........... but you didnt say what watt heaters you are referring to in your results of some that wont even heat a 29 and so on.

If they are under powered then they wont raise the temp high enough from a 68 degree starting point correct?

I bought the 200 watt Via Aqua Stainless heater with external controller for my 55 and with only one in there ........... its maintaining 86 degrees very consistantly ............. and i also had it at 92 consistantly for a week.

troyclark
01-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Try this thread

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=38372&highlight=reflectix

The insulation could help the heaters perform better. HTH

Jeff_Hart
01-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the information and the replies. I did miss the part on what wattage I am using. I am using the 250 watt versions.

wvgdiscus
01-28-2006, 08:27 PM
I have 1 EBO 250 watt in a 125 gallon with temp at 87 gone as high as 93 for 2 weeks.
I have been using this one for a year now & never had any problems with it.

Dave C
01-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Over the years the number of complaints about Ebos has indeed risen, but by far the model that people have the most trouble with is the 250w. Much less complaints over the 200w.

stiver james
01-31-2006, 03:02 PM
I have found the ebo 200w heater to be very reliable. I have one in my 29gal breeding tank and it keeps the temp steady at 82. This is the only ebo I have owned but it has been working for going on 4yrs now. I recently bought the new visa therm stealth heater in the 200w and 250w size. I have also had good luck with visa therm. The verdict is out on these for me as I just purchased them yesterday. They seem to be working good so far. Jim

RyanH
01-31-2006, 03:40 PM
I've had a helluva time with the new Jagers. They don't seem to hold temps well at all or get stuck on all the time.

When I called Eheim, they told me that they often need to be calibrated to work properly. Wrong!

The ones that didn't fail altogether now reside in my water barrels. They're set at 88 degrees and keep the water a toasty 79. ;)

I've still looking for a heater that I trust but the Visitherm stealths have done ok so far.

-Ryan

CODISCUS
02-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Jeff,

I'm running the new EBO's as follows with no problem @ 85 deg. I've standardized on this heater and found it to be the best.

29's get 125 watt
55's get 200watts
75's get 250 watts

Ebos are the only heaters that I found reliable. Stay away from the Won titanium's and the gaurdian's.

The Won's will either electricute you or fry your fish and the Gaurdians will stick.

johara
02-07-2006, 04:24 PM
I ordered 2 250W Ebo's and neither works properly. I have calibrated them both. the problem seems to be that they don't consistently come on when the temp falls. One is in a 29 (no fish yet thankfully) set at 90 and keeps water at about 76, the other is in my water change barrel, set at 90 and usually keeps water at 82-84, but sometimes shuts off. I wouldn't trust them with valuable fish for sure!

Bainbridge Mike
02-07-2006, 04:48 PM
I have had problems with the new ebos too. Of the last 5 I purchased, 1 shorted out and did not work at all and 2 experienced wild temperature fluctuations. I have had good luck with a visitherm stealth, and will probably stick to those for a while. I do have a 350W Won Brothers on a big tank in my basement and it has been extremely stable for the last 9 months---but I have a couple of backup heaters just in case!

Mike

RyanH
02-07-2006, 05:55 PM
I just ordered a couple of 300 watt Guardian heaters by Penn Plax.

To be honest, I know absolutely nothing about them and have very low expectations. I haven't seen or read anything to indicate good or bad experiences with them.

I'll probably try them out in an empty hospital tank before I allow them to keep my fish warm.

I'll say this: I'd trust a candle in a rain storm before I trust a Jager again. :(

johara
02-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Did anyone with defective heaters try to return them? I got mine from Big Al's and can't decide if it's even worth trying.

Cosmo
02-07-2006, 10:51 PM
ah the good old days and the green Ebo Jagers... best damn heater ever made. I've had inconsistent results from 150, 200, and 250 new Ebo's, but strangely enough the 250s seem to perform the best for me :confused: I have one 250 in a 90gal and 1 150 in a 55gal in the basement... they both keep the water at a consistent temp, just not the temp they're set to :( I've tried calibrating them too :( REally a shame, Ebo's always had the best thermostats out there... I have 4 250watt stealths hooked up in my 180, but they're wired to a controller so I'm not sure how'd they do on their own :confused:

Ryan.... Penn Plax :confused: I'd be real curious how they work out for you

Jim

RyanH
02-07-2006, 11:55 PM
I still have two of the old, green Ebo's and they heat like the day I bought them.

I can't believe how Eheim has let this brand slip. What a shame. :(

I'll let you know about the Guardians Jim. Kensfish.com has em' on sale so I thought I'd try them out.

tag
02-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Hi All,

Here's a bit of a twist. Ebo is now made by Eheim. I've always bought Ebo heaters and had no trouble previously. Ebo heaters here in Canada used to have the temp noted in celcius as opposed to farenheit but now...our heaters are in farenheit and I've had nothing but trouble :confused: . Condensation within the heaters, unreliable temps and general on/off trouble. I've been slowly replacing them as I had all Ebo's. I'm going with visatherm but I'm not comfortable with it... yet!

Something else: Heaters are just recently being marketed as truly submersible realizing I guess that there are keepers who generally use them that way. People are saying that Ebo's are not meant to be submersed noting the warning on the box about keeping water levels above the noted line on the heater BUT.. I've always understood that it is necessary for them to place that warning as per the electrical standards...in our case in Canada the CSA label saying the appliance is safe for use. My lfs tells me that although the product is not sold as submersible it can be :confused: .

Maybe we have this trouble because we fully submerse a non-submersible heater???

Who knows... just my thoughts ;) .

Take care

Tina

stiver james
02-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Again I want to state that the ebo jager heater I have in my 29 gal tank has given me no problems. It's a 200w and keeps the temp steady at 82. I just stated that I bought three visa therm stealth heaters and I must say that I like them but, I have a 250w in my 55gal planted tank and it has a hard time keeping the temp up to 88. I also have two 200w heaters in my 29gal and my 20gal and I find in the 20gal I have to turn it down to about 78 degrees for it to stay at 82. In the 29gal it seems to work fine. Did I not let these set in the water long enough or are they just out of calibration? If so does anyone know how to calibrate a visa therm stealth heater? Or can I just unplug them and leave them for awhile and then plug them back in? The directions just say you have to put them in the water unplugged for a few minutes. I think I left mine unpluged for about 15min. Thanks Jim

DiscusStudent
02-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Comparitively to many of you I am new to keeping discus as a serious hobby, I have about a year and a half experience. Although I have a lack of experience I did a lot of research before I jumped in. And EVERY source that I read talked about spending the extra dollar for a good heater and when named, every single source named the Ebo-Jager heaters. So I did just that, right now I have 2 200 watt Ebo's in 55 gallon tanks and I have two 150 watts coming in the mail. At this point I am seriously tempted to not even open the 150 watts and send them back. I'll admit the Ebo's hold the temperature pretty damn good, I'm not seeing a fluctuation in temps as I have with cheaper heaters. But I cannot get my tanks above 83 degrees. I was hoping for somewhere around 85 and after multiple calibrations and readjustments one tank won't even get above 80 degrees, unhappy discus. I'm glad I am not the only one that is having these problems.

Did anyone with defective heaters try to return them? I got mine from Big Al's and can't decide if it's even worth trying.

Johara, I got mine from Big Al's and they were pretty accomodating when I called them with the problem. That's why I have 2 200 watts right now because I had the one and couldn't raise the temp so I called, had them send me another one when they sent me the label. I'm giving it another couple of days to see if anything changes and if not I'm going to be calling them again and they can have both of them back.

Riche_guy
03-04-2006, 06:55 AM

If it hasn't been that long, I would return it. They might want to test it though. They wanted with me, but did finally give me a replacement.

Riche_guy
03-12-2006, 04:14 AM
I returned 2 Renas 100 watts because they were unable to get the water to 84 degrees. Instead I bought a 150 watt Jager and it works great. I had to readjust the thermostat to acurately show 84 degrees. For 84 degrees I had it at 77 degree on the thermostat.

thang45
03-12-2006, 12:25 PM
I have 2 ebo 200W, both can hold temp at 92 with no problem. I really like them. I was about to order 2 ebo 250W from kensfish.com, but after reading this thread I'm thinking if I should stick with the ebo 200W, or try the ebo 250W.

Riche_guy
03-12-2006, 12:36 PM
I have 2 ebo 200W, both can hold temp at 92 with no problem. I really like them. I was about to order 2 ebo 250W from kensfish.com, but after reading this thread I'm thinking if I should stick with the ebo 200W, or try the ebo 250W.

If the 200w are able to get you to 92 and maintain you there why change?? Spend your money elsewhere. :D

thang45
03-13-2006, 11:40 AM
If the 200w are able to get you to 92 and maintain you there why change?? Spend your money elsewhere. :D

:D True. Getting more Discus. Therefore got to buy new tank, filters and heaters. I will give Guardian 300 Watt Metal Heater a try.

Riche_guy
03-13-2006, 11:50 AM
:D True. Getting more Discus. Therefore got to buy new tank, filters and heaters. I will give Guardian 300 Watt Metal Heater a try.

I got a new tank, filter and heater for the very same reason! :p