PDA

View Full Version : Drip system with BBS ???

troyclark
01-30-2006, 03:26 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried to utilize a drip system with BBS to feed your babies all day while your at work. I have two 29 gallon tanks, 1 with 24 baby angels and 20 baby discus that are all about 3 weeks old and the other tank with about 60 2.5 week old discus fry. I can't go home during lunch to feed and check on them so I thought that I could make some sort of drip system with a 2 liter soda bottle and some airline tubing. I could adjust it so that it would continuously drip in the takes over a six hour period and do a water change as soon as I got home. Has anyone tried this type of thing before and if you have did it work for you. I know the BBS get nutitionally deficient with age but I thought that at least they would have something to eat during the day plus the shrimp would be in colder water that I use to hatch them. I think I would also dilute the salt water with half fresh tap so that the rearing tank doesn't get to much salt in it. I also have thought about not hatching the brine shrimp and using decapsulated eggs instead. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening to me ramble.

pcsb23
01-30-2006, 05:17 PM
T-Roy, I wouldn't do this with very young fish, their stomachs can't handle the salt, even small amounts will upset them. Feed them before you go to work, maybe get an auto feeder (eheim ones the best) and feed baby dried food once or twice whilst your out, then fatten them up on bbs when you get in.
hth,
Paul.

Green Country Discus
01-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Troy, a nice bundle of CBworms would hold them over nicely and you would see great growth. IME, if you keep em clean, you will love the results.