PDA

View Full Version : spawns - nil eggs to show for it

nicholas76
01-30-2006, 11:48 PM
HI all.

currently experiencing some interesting activity with a newly acquired pair (15 months old).
for example.

last thursday observed from a distance spawning motions by both on the cone. ( assumed i had some eggs coming ) came back an hour later found zilch

sunday ( so 3 day later ) again spawning runs on the cone, let them do there thing and again no eggs to show for it.

i didnt go up to the tank and have a look as they stop doing it and come to the front of the tank for food all the time.

now they are both flirty as ever still!

does it sound like eggs eater?

do discus do "dry runs when flirting??( 20 - 30 minutes worth )

generally confused as my other pairs always spawn properly!

ps will consider spoiling the party next time by going for a look.

Rod
01-31-2006, 05:19 AM
Hi Nicholas,

Sounds like egg eaters mate, the discus do dry runs but normally eggs come soon after.

Maybe you can spy on them with a video recorder if you don't want to disturb them too much.

Rod

nicholas76
02-01-2006, 03:32 AM
HI Rod,

yeah probably, i cant get within 5 feet without them noticing me.

I think it might be time to move them into a busier part of the house so they can adjust to people !

cheers

Luca
02-01-2006, 04:02 AM
Recently I noticed a couple of my fish spawning, as the female lay eggs the male ate them, I promptly threw some oxheart in and wholah he stopped eating them. Yours might be different but just a suggestion.

nicholas76
02-01-2006, 04:40 AM
spot on Luca,

actually fed extra today, im thinking if i fatten them up more it might discourage the munchies aswell!

thanks