PDA

View Full Version : Eco System Filter for Breeding Tanks

stiver james
01-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Iam always looking for the best filteration I can get. So I have another question. I have three eco system filters from past marine tanks. They are a hang on filter with 4 chambers in them. It has a siphon tube that goes into a small rectangular plastic box that is attatched to the system. It hangs off the system and into the aquarium where the siphon tube sets in. The small cuts at the top allow the water to come in without sucking up the fish. The siphon tube then sucks the water up into the first chamber that has bio balls in it. It them overflows into the second chamber that had miracle mud and some kind of green plant in it. From there it goes to a sponge filter and then overflows into the clean water chamber where it is pumped back into the tank via a small pump. They worked great for a marine set up. My question is can I use this for freshwater community tanks and breeding tanks? I would leave the bio balls in it and in the second chamber I would either break it up and say use one third with peat moss on the botton and cover it with appropriate media to keep it clean. Then use the rest of this chamber with crushed stone or some other media. Leave the sponge filter in it and then let it pump back into the aquarium. Does this sound like a good set up? If anyone else has tried it please let me know. I really think this would be a great filter system if not for the spawning tank atleast for the community tank? All feedback welcomed. Thanks, JIm

Doug A
01-31-2006, 01:03 PM
I have an Ecosystems filter on my mini reef tank. It does a very good job! I belive Ecosystems has a Miricle mud for freshwater that you can put into the second chamber. I'm not sure who sells it. Most of the time you only find the saltwater Miricle mud. Try calling Ecosystems and see who carries the freshwater mud.

Doug