PDA

View Full Version : saddle valves for undersink connection

kaceyo
02-02-2006, 07:13 PM
I recently bought a carbon block filter for my tap water but need some feedback on the saddle valve they sent to connect it. It's supposed to be a self taping supply valve that punches a hole in the metal waterline under the sink and then supposedly seals itself. I have never used one and can't help thinking it will end up leaking. I mean,there is alot of water pressure in those lines and this thing just clamps over a hole it pokes into the metal line. Do they work? I also found a faucet adapter for hooking up RO units at PetSolutions for $10 bucks, but it doesn't say if it's for 1/4" tubing like my 2 stage carbon block has. Aren't RO filters made with 1/4" tubing connections too? I'm thinking that with the faucet adapt I could run temp. adjusted water straight to a tank in an emergency too. If you know about these things please fill me in these things.
Thanks

Kacey

Ardan
02-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Hi,
They work in copper pipes.
I have used them a few times, no leak.:)

hth
Ardan

CAGE-RATTLER
02-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Same as running a water line to a fridge for an ice makes and water dispenser on the front.

I have one on mine and no leaks.

kaceyo
02-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks guys,
The pipe under my sink looks chromed. How can I tell if it's copper" Or are they all copper?

Kacey

Ardan
02-02-2006, 10:06 PM
No , the chromed one may be a steel pipe, too hard. Look for a copper colored pipe.
Probably before the shutoff valve. Could also be older galvanized steel pipe, but these are too hard for that saddle valve too.
The 1/4 inch outlet after the shutoff valve. You can put a T in there with compression fittings from the hardware store, then put in a 1/4 inch shutoff on one branch of the T, then go with 1/4 inch line to your carbon block.

Go to the hardware store and they can help get all the fittings.:)

hth
Ardan

Cosmo
02-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Kacey old buddy :) RO tubing is actually 1/4 in OD whereas 1/4 in copper is ID... if you get brass compression fittings, make sure you get the ones that come with the little cone shaped thingy that goes inside the RO tube, otherwise the compression fitting will cut the RO hose when you tighten it down. Also, HOme Depot sells plastic John Guest type fittings that will work like a charm with RO hose, including ball valves. If you don't have any soft copper, you can drill a small hole first, either in the steel or pvc type pipe... just make sure you drill the correct sized hole... lol Better yet, get out your pipe wrench and replace the part with a copper one :D

good luck
Jim

kaceyo
02-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Arden,
The 1/4" tubing that came with the filter is much smaller than the pipe under the sink. The guy I bought my filter from at Air Water & Ice told me it's chromed copper pipe but I don't know. There is no pipe before the shutoff valve as the valve comes out of the wall. These are the kinds of things I keep running into. Thats one reason I'm thinking of getting the RO faucet adapter instead. I was hoping someone had tried the adapter and knew if it was for 1/4" RO tubing. Sounds like it is but it doesn't say so in the PetSolution catalogue.
Thanks,

Kacey

kaceyo
02-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Hey Cos,
This is all greek to me, lol. I'm just gonna wait for someone to tell me the faucet adapter will work :) Have you heard of 1/4" OD copper pipe being chromed? I guess I'll just have to try it and see. Whats the worst that could happen? The little hole puncher point will get flattend if it's not copper, right?

Kcey

Ardan
02-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Hi,
Are you sure the saddle valve is for 1/4 inch pipe? I haven't seen one for that small, the ones I was referring to are for 1/2 inch pipe.
The 1/4 inch pipes are softer as you can bend them, not sure if copper or a brass alloy though.
Worst case, leak= replace the 1/4 inch pipe with plastic pipe, different lengths at hardware store, easy to work with.

I would use the T and then the plastic (with the inner sleeve as Jim said).
Take the pipes to the hardware store and they could help get the matching fittings.

hth
Ardan

Tony_S
02-03-2006, 10:39 AM
ok...lemme get this outta the way...Yes the saddle valves your talking about work fine.

Ok...now the 'quagmire'...I think I understand whats going on here....

Kacey

From what I can decifer here...under your sink you presently have a shutoff valve, or a simple compression fitting(with no shutoff) thats (aparently) right up against the wall?? You cant see, or see very little of the line comming INTO the existing valve or fitting?? Am I correct?

The saddle valve your talking about will only work properly on a 1/2" HARD copper line....thats the line that FEEDS the valve or fitting you PRESENTLY have under your sink now. The line that is comming OUT (the chromed one) is a 3/8" flexible copper line (standard size for a faucet supply) The valve WONT work on that one as you wont be able to get the 'saddle' tight enough on a line that small.

Is ANY of the 1/2" hard copper line sticking out of the wall before the existing fitting? You dont need more than a couple of inches showing to put the saddle valve on.

Tony

kaceyo
02-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Tony,
The only line I can get to is the chrome one that goes between the supply shutoff valve and the sink faucet. I think you just said it IS copper? The type of saddle valve I have is a thick aluminum clamp with a piece that gives the option of fitting over two different sizes of pipe. One size does fit my pipe, so I could use it. My only concern there now is whether the chrome pipe is actualy copper. From what I'm hearing, the valve will work if the chrome pipe is copper.

Kacey

raglanroad
02-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Kaceyo,
I was going to put my RO in the bathroom, but the situation is the same as yours, the valves with the copper pipe come out of the wall with no pipe available to put a valve on it, then they have plastic tubes running to the faucet from where the pipe comes out of the wall.
So far I have been using the faucet adapter on the kitchen sink faucet, and it has a tiny spigot coming out the side which is RO tube size.
D

kaceyo
02-03-2006, 11:03 AM
D
Do you know if it's the same kind that Pet Solution has in the catalogue?

Kacey

Tony_S
02-03-2006, 11:38 AM
If you have an adaptor for the saddle valve that will fit a 3/8" copper line(the chrome one), you can use it...Just be careful that you dont over tighten the saddle, as you CAN crush the line with it because it is soft(flexable) copper.

Tony

raglanroad
02-03-2006, 04:19 PM
It looks like this, but mine has a pattern on the part you turn, tht's the only difference. I found it works well, just by removing the little filter screen on the faucet.
http://www.petsolutions.com/Standard+Faucet+Adapter-I-51900109-I-C-44-C-.aspx

D