PDA

View Full Version : Can I use rubbing alcohol to dissolve PRAZIQUANTEL?

timotel
02-04-2006, 03:19 AM
Needs some advice if rubbing alchohol is good for dissolving pure PRAZIQUANTEL.

Ardan
02-04-2006, 06:47 AM
I use RO water.
Shake well.

I have heard acetone used for flubendazole, but haven't heard of rubbing alcohol being used for any med.
The prazi takes a while to dissolve, there still may be some bits when you pour it in the tank, but the filter will help mix it and most dissolves. ime

hth
Ardan

Green Country Discus
02-04-2006, 10:23 AM
I have found that formalin (hyde) works real well. I mix the prazi and hyde in a shot glass, add a little water mix well and give them their shooter. I dose with 1/4 tsp each per 25 gal.

Like Ardan said. you will still get some little bits that will disolve with time in the tank.

lkleung007
02-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi,

I have used the RO water in the past. But recently, I have used just a bit of acetone (1 tbsp) to get the prazi into a slurry and then add tank water to it before introducing it into the tank. I have heard of others using hyde and will try it next time myself.

HTH, Lester

AmazonRainbows
02-04-2006, 01:11 PM
My vet has access on web site reserve only to them and she told me that acetone was use do dissolve med just like Ardan say. In my case she was talking about dissolving a spice as a tranquilizer because in Canada I can get MS222.

Wahter
02-04-2006, 08:42 PM
vinegar works too. :)

pcsb23
02-05-2006, 08:16 AM
My vet has access on web site reserve only to them and she told me that acetone was use do dissolve med just like Ardan say. In my case she was talking about dissolving a spice as a tranquilizer because in Canada I can get MS222.

The spice they were referring to would be oil of cloves, used as a tranquiliser. Don't know about rubbing alcohol, never used it, but to dissolve this I've used vodka. Mind I've only ever used this to euthanise a fish, never added it to a tank.

My preference is to add as little foreign substance as possible to my tanks, I would use warmed pure RO water most times, a bit of effort in the shaking gets it done most times.

Paul.