PDA

View Full Version : Discus first aid kit for the begginners

Ayk
02-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi everybody,
I am new to discus though I have been keeping fish since I was a kid. I never have needed to understand the fish I kept, and had only few basic medicine. Can somebody briefly give a list of most important things to keep handy?

Also, I live in Toronto, ON and would like to know where the hobbiest and breeders buy their medicine from (except importing)?

I will post the same thread in disease section as well (I hope it is ok.)
Thanks
Ayk

Timbo
02-05-2006, 11:05 AM
best to have one post per query..it makes it easier for people to follow along and help rather than have to refer to two posts to see whats happening.

hexed
02-05-2006, 02:39 PM
BigAlsOnline.com has a buildings in Canada and another one in the US. Most people here get stuff from them.
Sorry, I forgot the list LOL! This is what I have on hand right now:
Furan 2
Formalin 37%
Aquarium salt or NON iodized salt
Metronidazole
Epson salt
Maracyn-two
Clout
What I will be purchasing:
PraziPond powder (Sorry but PraziPro has not had good results as per the thread here)
Amoxicillin - I cannot get Kanacyn here and my pharmacist said to try it.

Now, most of the meds I have I have used once maybe with the exception being: Epson salt, Aquarium salt, Formalin (used on eggs) and Clout.
Frank

Carol_Roberts
02-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Epsom Salt - for bloat and constipation
Rock salt (or kosher salt, pickling salt, etc) - general tonic
Metronidazole - intestinal flagellates
Parasite Clear (or fluke tabs) - fluke, external parasites, tapeworm
Formalin - external parasite, external antibiotic
Furan II, external and internal bacterial infection

KIWI13
02-06-2006, 04:31 AM
My medicine chest is simple...

Epsom Salt
Table Salt ( non iodized)
Melafix
Metro
Fungus stop

JMArtist
02-06-2006, 08:31 AM
I agree with what Carol listed as a good First Aid Kit to have on hand at all times
(Epsom Salt, Rock salt, Metronidazole, Parasite Clear, Formalin, Furan II) and would add the
Melafix and Fungus stop that Jason suggested also.

Of course I would also suggest aspirin and good brand of Vodka and some Orange Juice for yourself.....it's good to have around even if your fish aren't sick :)

KIWI13
02-06-2006, 09:49 AM
LMAO that is a good thing to have around after you get a splitting headache from running behind fish..... Calms the stress too.. Discus are dangerous cause they stress their owners more than their tankmates and themselves

Kindredspirit
02-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Of course I would also suggest aspirin and good brand of Vodka and some Orange Juice for yourself.....it's good to have around even if your fish aren't sick :)

I agree~ I could use a drink now....my fish are trippinhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_44.gif~I have all those meds as well, and only opened them, finally, now, after having them for nine months!

Marie~

JMArtist
02-06-2006, 11:51 AM
I agree~ I could use a drink now....my fish are trippinhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_44.gif~I have all those meds as well, and only opened them, finally, now, after having them for nine months!
Marie~

Awe, poor Marie has fish woe's.
Don't worry honey, after a few "Screw Drivers" your fish will look fine...if your still conscious that is....

Kindredspirit
02-06-2006, 12:14 PM
hmm....... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_7_6.gif

pcsb23
02-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Discus are dangerous cause they stress their owners more than their tankmates and themselves

Aint that the truth!

Paul.

Moon
02-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Ayk
I get all of my supplies incl. meds from MOPS.CA
Dan carries all discus meds incl Prazi and Metro. Delivery is usualy the next day and very reasonable prices.
Joe