PDA

View Full Version : Lucke me. No fish died!

traco
02-05-2006, 01:19 PM
So, maybe this thread should be in the "I'm a little stupid" category.

The last couple of days, my tank has been making "clicking" sounds. I thought it was the impeller on the Aqua Clear but when that was turned off, sounds were still there. I attributed it to outside noise as it has been really windy and stormy here lately. 2 days ago the whole aquarium surged which I again thought was from the power going out.

All this til I did a water change yesterday.:p

I did a big water change of about 80%, wiping down walls, etc... When moving my heaters, was when I saw that one had a huge crack in it. So what do I do, I unstuck it from the back wall, lift it slowly out of the tank and THEN unplug it!! Talk about airhead.

I'm lucky the discus and myself did not get fried. And also I still have another 250 watt heater in there, Ebo Jaeger, to keep the temp. It is on a lot now though to keep the tank at 84 ~ 90 gallon tank.

I imagine I cracked it myself a couple of days ago when I took the heater out to wipe it down (turned off of course) and when putting it back in the suction cup holder, I banged it against the back of the tank. Yes, I'm a bit ham fisted it seems. So there were the fish swimming around for 2 days with a heater still on with a huge crack.

I vacuumed up all around the floor where the heater was situated. Saw no glass shards but better safe than sorry.

So now I need to get another heater. Any heaters out there that would stand up to my clumsiness? Obviously, glass in my hands is not a good thing.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_137.gif

kaceyo
02-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi Barb,
Get a ViaAqua titanium heater. Not expensive and I have 5 that I've been usingfor over a year now with no problems.

Kacey

Ardan
02-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Thankfully you and the fish are ok
I am slowly going to mainly titanium heaters, I have some via aqua and some Won Brothers Pro heat.
I have had some of each quit, stop, not overheat, but they haven't broke glass:) and seem to be pretty stable.
I also have a glass visitherm in a protective shield, submersible, accurate, stable, hasn't broke, but can't set it above 86F.
jme
Ardan

AmberC
02-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Oh man! I'm glad all your fish are ok and it didn't get really ugly with that heater!

I cant remember the name right now but when I was getting my used 55 my fish guy recommended a certain heater because they are unbreakable. I can find out for you tho. I'll probably be in there tomorrow and I'll look and see which one it was.

Amber

I should probably add too that I didn't get that kind because I wanted to stick with the same kind that I had in my other tank because they have always worked well for me. He said it was a really good heater tho and I do trust him. Now if I can just remember the name!

korbi_doc
02-05-2006, 02:47 PM
:p Very lucky Barb, do you have a ground fault interrupter circuit (GFI) for your tanks??? If you don't would be a good investment for safety.... this kind of accident could prove hurtful, so glad you are ok & the fish too!!!
Heaters, now titanium, as Ardan suggested, or stainless steel are unbreakable, the latter even very inexpensive..I have both & like'm, use'm in the storage tank as well as fish tanks. Still have couple of visitherm glass that I have found very sturdy, but eventually will have all titaniums or steel.... don't feel bad, we've all done that one, but just remember safety first..;)

Alight
02-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Barb, the visitherm stealth heaters are great. They're titanium and plastic coated, so your probably can't whack a hole in your tanks with them either.

I had a problem with one that was oversized for my breeding tank and it wouldn't keep a constant temperature (it was +- 3-4 degrees F) which just isn't good enough. However, I moved it to my 55 gallon tank, and it works just fine in there, got a smaller one for the 30, and it works just fine, too.

These heaters also have automatic cutoff if they overheat from being out of water, too.

traco
02-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Yep, I have a GFI which also did a surge click but again, I thought it was the storm which was playing with the power.

I figure I can use this purchase as a "late" birthday present for myself. Sound good? :D

AmberC
02-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Barb, the visitherm stealth heaters are great. They're titanium and plastic coated, so your probably can't whack a hole in your tanks with them either.

I had a problem with one that was oversized for my breeding tank and it wouldn't keep a constant temperature (it was +- 3-4 degrees F) which just isn't good enough. However, I moved it to my 55 gallon tank, and it works just fine in there, got a smaller one for the 30, and it works just fine, too.

These heaters also have automatic cutoff if they overheat from being out of water, too.

Yeah.. I think that was the one that my lfs guy was showing me lol.

pcsb23
02-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Barb!! Lucky you no fish died!!!! How about lucky you didn't!!

Glad all is ok though.

Paul.