PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins

AmberC
02-06-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm not sure if this should go in here or not but I read, and I'm not sure what forum I was on when I read it as I've been to several (of course this being the BEST) of people giving their fish childrens flinstone vitamins. Giving a half a vitamin and the fish eating them as a supplement. Has anyone ever done this with their discus? What do you think about that. This was back when I had an oscar I believe and people said they did it with their oscars. I was just curious your opinions on that.

pcsb23
02-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Amber,

A lot depends on their diet, if you feed quality flakes or granules as well as bh/fbw etc then vitamin supplements shouldn't be necessary.

You could always add the vitamin supplements into the bh mix you make.

hth,
Paul.

Kap
02-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Paul said it all -- a varied diet of quality foods should do it.

AADiscus
02-07-2006, 02:58 PM
We put a multi vitamin in our beef heart mix.

billeagan
02-07-2006, 03:09 PM
I use a multi vitamin in my BH. I soak the vitamin in Boyds vita chem to help break it down for the blender.

You can get various liquid vitamins to put in the water and the food. IMO, Boyd's is the best - tetra puts out a pretty good one too.

Resinman
02-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Geez Bill you sell a great vitamin. The Serra product is great. You should try it lol

I use it personally. I am abit different. I add it after I thaw out my heart. I feel when I freeze the beef heart with the vitamin in it the vitamin loses it's potency in the freezer.

Brent

AmberC
02-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Just to clarify.. I was not planning/contemplating on giving my fish flinstone vitamins. I was just curious because I just thought it was interesting. Sometimes I dont know how people come up with these things. I just wanted to see what you all thought about it. :)

hexed
02-10-2006, 02:46 AM
Hmmmmm, this is interesting :)

I feed my discus colorbits, CBWs and flakes but they usually don't eat all the flakes and I have to vacuum them out. My discus will not eat beefheart no matter how it is made (frozen or homemade) and also will not eat frozen foods (I still have some in my freezer), I do not know why but they refuse to eat it. I was going to keep giving them the foods they won't eat until they did eat it, but then I thought that my discus look and act so healthy that I did not want to change anything and was afraid they would end up sick if I did. Should I add vitamins to the water or are they getting enough?

pcsb23
02-10-2006, 06:44 AM
Frank,

I think colour bits are the same as prima?? not sure they often call the same product by different names in defferent markets!

I've found the tetra products to generally contain adequate vitamins, if like me you are always putting a few grains in when you are around the tank and feed them once a day (at least) with them, I'm sure they'll get enough. As you say if your fish are healthy then why worry? what you are doing must be working! FWIW my discus eat BH ok but reluctantly, they much prefer blood worm - frozen or freeze dried.

The liquid vits in the water won't be effective for very long either so its an expensive way to add vits. If you wanted to add vits, crush tabs in a mortar and pestel and half an hour before feeding your CBW sprinkle them with the powder.

hth,
Paul.