PDA

View Full Version : Can Discus see in the dark?

frenchdiscus
02-07-2006, 01:25 PM
It's a bit silly, but does anyone knows if Discus can see anything at all in the dark?

DarkDiscus
02-07-2006, 01:58 PM
I'd say no. They are definitely NOT nocturnal and go to sleep very quickly in a dark room.

Some cichlids are much more nocturnal and do see pretty well in the near dark - I have had red devils who slept all day and spent all night piling up gravel - but discus, even if in a room with a night light, don't exhibit much activity at all.

John

White Worm
02-07-2006, 02:05 PM
I would agree, dont know for sure but as soon as I turn off the lights, they go into sleep mode. They dont care much for night activity.

AADiscus
02-07-2006, 02:56 PM
I don't think so either. I know when the lights first come on in the morning they are in sleepy mode.

Kinda like when the alarm goes off to get out of bed. You lay and think.......I'll just hit the snooze one more time. lol

gators111
02-07-2006, 03:15 PM
From the research I have done, discus' eyes are similar to ours when it comes to light. However, their eyes are not as adaptable to bright light. As rule of thumb, discus can see what we see in a darkened room.

Kenny's Discus
02-07-2006, 03:37 PM
generally speaking I would have to agree with everyone here...NO.

Kenny

Alan
02-08-2006, 04:45 AM
David Spade

Westie
02-08-2006, 12:36 PM
You would think with eyes that big that they could see through you.

RyanH
02-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I tend to agree that they probably can't see very well in the dark. However, just because they aren't nocturnal isn't evidence that they have poor night vision, IMO.

I don't think I've read any formal studies done on the subject so I don't think anyone knows for sure how well they can see in low light or darkness.

Cosmo
02-08-2006, 03:22 PM
:confused: David Spade :confused:

While they don't appear to exhibit much activity while being observed in a darkened tank... does that really mean anything :confused: I remember a film called the secret life of dogs and cats where the animals were filmed late at night while us humans slept... lol.. maybe Discus are the same?

Strange though... with all studies that have been done.. don't think I've seen one on this topic either :confused:

Jim

Kindredspirit
02-08-2006, 04:06 PM
:confused: David Spade :confused:

Jim

Well I am glad I wasn't alone on that one!! lol!! Sounds familiar, tho..... I agree with April!!

Marie~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_2_69.gif

Audrey
02-08-2006, 06:34 PM
There is/was an article written on this subject, not on discus, but fish in general, at the Minnesota Aquarium Society (MAS) website. It was called "The Eyes Have it" or something. Not sure if it is still there or not.

Audrey

Alan
02-08-2006, 06:37 PM
David Spade is the guy in the ad of Capital One who kept saying "No."

Kindredspirit
02-08-2006, 11:32 PM
oh yeah!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_1.gifThanks, Alan!

Marie~

hexed
02-08-2006, 11:45 PM
But if you talk sexy to them they might say yes! LOL!

GulfCoastDiscus
02-09-2006, 12:22 AM
I believe they can. In the wild, they live in water darker than my coffee.:)

frenchdiscus
02-09-2006, 10:18 AM
That is what I thought! In the wild, I can't imagine Discus being that vulnerable at night! I would tend to think that they can see... don't know if they can as good as cats, but just enough to escape from predator. I'll be very curious to know for sure.
Olivier

Ardan
02-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Yes they can see. They have rods in the back of the eye just as humans. these are much more sensitive than the cones for color.
http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/biology/anatomy/eyesight.shtml

I am in a Great Lakes Fishing club and just the other night we had a seminar on UV light penetrating the deep water and reflecting on UV reflective lures.
Red lures (standard) are only good down to 30 feet deep.
White lures and reflectors can go to areound 100 ft. deep.

But UV reflective lures go 1/2 mile deep.
As you get past 70 feet deep it is pretty dark, but fish still see shadows and "uv reflective lures":)
all bony fish are related and the discus is a bony fish"
Just a tidbit that does relate to discus seeing in the dark:)

Ardan

frenchdiscus
02-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Thank you Ardan! Good research!

jeep
02-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Not much research here, but I've fed mine right before bed time and the food was gone in the morning :D

Cosmo
02-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Ardan,

Thanks for pointing us to that article... appears as though it was too close for any of us to read :D I, for one, think I need to spend more time in the Library

Jim

Ardan
02-10-2006, 08:20 PM
You're welcome:)
forgot to add one thing.
discus take a while to adjust to different light conditions. (rods and cones)
therefore they are easily startled by light, shadow, turning on lights etc:)
sometimes this appears as skittish. also stresses them.

hth
Ardan