PDA

View Full Version : biovit?

AmberC
02-08-2006, 09:10 AM
I just ordered some metro to treat hith on my fish. They are really looking great. I'm on the 4th day of 5 treatments of maracyn and after a week of just salt I'm going to treat with metro + (which is what I ordered). I was looking at vitamins and only saw one that looked like it would be good which was biovit which I think I can get at one of the lfs's here, I think I saw it in there last night. My question is.. is this a good vit supplement to use?

One more thing.. Instead of treating my discus in the 125 gallon tank can I move the 4 into my 20 gallon hospital/quarantine to treat to save a little on the meds or should I just do it in the 125 instead of moving and stressing them?

pcsb23
02-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Amber,

Don't know this biovit, check the contents.

HITH is usually environmental, as in diet and water quality. Before you treat them with metro do regular water changes and feed them a varied diet, even use the vits. Metro is normally used for hex, which is NOT HITH.

Adding meds continually can cause as much, if not more, stress than the illness sometimes. If the fish are not showing signs of hex then I'd hold onto the metro and see what a few weeks of high water quality and clean tanks with good food achieves. JMO.

Paul.

susankay1
02-08-2006, 02:12 PM
I just ordered some metro to treat hith on my fish. They are really looking great. I'm on the 4th day of 5 treatments of maracyn and after a week of just salt I'm going to treat with metro + (which is what I ordered). I was looking at vitamins and only saw one that looked like it would be good which was biovit which I think I can get at one of the lfs's here, I think I saw it in there last night. My question is.. is this a good vit supplement to use?

One more thing.. Instead of treating my discus in the 125 gallon tank can I move the 4 into my 20 gallon hospital/quarantine to treat to save a little on the meds or should I just do it in the 125 instead of moving and stressing them?
I have used it, the fish seem to like it. As far as the benefits, that remains to be seen. I use something called Discus Essentials that puts trace elements in the water that are sometimes missing and I believe it also aids in growth and development. I add biovit to my deerheart and the fish eat it like crazy. HTH....Susan

AmberC
02-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Amber,

Don't know this biovit, check the contents.

HITH is usually environmental, as in diet and water quality. Before you treat them with metro do regular water changes and feed them a varied diet, even use the vits. Metro is normally used for hex, which is NOT HITH.

Adding meds continually can cause as much, if not more, stress than the illness sometimes. If the fish are not showing signs of hex then I'd hold onto the metro and see what a few weeks of high water quality and clean tanks with good food achieves. JMO.

Paul.

Thanks Paul. I have given them a varied diet and I said in another thread that I think maybe its because I *was* using carbons... along with the other probs with my tank.. that caused it. HITH can go away without treatment?
BTW.. this is the description for biovit

Biovit is a multi-vitamin compound suited for fish and invertebrates in both fresh and saltwater. Regular use of this unique formula enhances growth, strengthens immune systems and increases the willingness to spawn. Contains vitamins B1, B6, B12, E and other essential elements. Add directly to aquarium water or mix with food. Treats 170 gallons.

pcsb23
02-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Well the contents looks ok, provided they are there in suitable proportions. A good B complex from the local health store may be better value though!

Yes HITH can and does go away without meds. It needs to be "treated" regular water changes (daily) with absolutely cleanliness, temp around the 86f mark, good food, if you make your own BH mix, add some multi vits and garlic to it. If you can drop the ph below 7 then that helps too as it will suppress any nasties that may lurk. If you've got a copy of The Naked Truth or Penang Discus they treat it using almond leaves, these guys know a thing or two. If or when any of mine get HITH I'm going to try their method.

hth,
Paul.

AmberC
02-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks Paul. My temp is at 86 and my ph is at 6.6. I have made my first batch of bh following Carols post in foods/nutrition. I dont have any vitamins right now, but I'll get some. I'll look into those books and the almond leaves too. Thanks!

pcsb23
02-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Amber it will take a few weeks to heal so patience is key. Obviously if they start to show signs of other illness then that will have to be dealt with, but with your water params I'm reasonably confident they'll do good.

Paul.

AmberC
02-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks Paul. I'll hold onto the meds and see how they do.

Alight
02-08-2006, 07:50 PM
My only experience with HTH has been that it has gone away when I took out carbon (one time just forgot it was in the filter-it had been there for 6 months when the HTH started, and shocked me into remembering) and added vitamins to the dry food I had been feeding.

I haven't had trouble with it in years, now.