PDA

View Full Version : Scardy Cats

II j L c II
02-08-2006, 08:27 PM
My discus are always hiding behind the plants, but only seem to pop out for a little when it comes to feeding time. They have been in my tank for about a week now. Is this normal behavior? Do you have any suggestions to make them adjusted to people. It's funny how they are so responsive in the LFS tanks, but once they get their own they get all timid. Oh yea, I currently have 6 discus with lots of tetras in the front swimming.

Jon

Albanets
02-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I bet it is normal. Give them another couple of weeks.

diablocanine
02-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Put a chair in fron of the tank and sit with them for long periods.

Kap
02-08-2006, 09:39 PM
"Oh yea, I currently have 6 discus with lots of tetras in the front swimming."

Are these in the same tank? Your description is unclear....

II j L c II
02-09-2006, 03:05 AM
Yup. The tetras are in the front of the tank swimming all over, while the discus hide in the plants like little kids peeping out their door to see if they can sneak to the tv ;)

Jon

AADiscus
02-09-2006, 12:48 PM
I would take the tetras out and see how they do. If they continue to hide take your plants out. Don't give them any place to hide.

pcsb23
02-09-2006, 02:28 PM
If they've only been in the tank a week, give them time. Every time you go past he tank put a few flakes or granules of food in. If that doesn't work you could do as Angela says.

Paul.

Squiggy
02-09-2006, 04:50 PM
How stable is the floor near the tank? Does walking through the room disturb the surface at all? Discus are timid by nature. I could see where vibrations may cause them to hide.....just a thought...;)

II j L c II
02-10-2006, 02:09 AM
Great news! My girlfriend just called (she's holding my 150g while my house is getting renovated) and said that they came up to her as she fed them blood worms. They are acting a little timid still, but what a nice improvement.

Thanks,
Jon

hexed
02-10-2006, 02:23 AM
Jon,
I tell people to sit in front of the tank and feed them. Just watch them as they eat and they will be use to you in no time. When they were in the LFS they most likely were only fed once or twice a day and that is usually before they open or closed so when someone goes near the tank the fish will come running because they are hungary. If the fish did not come to the front of the tank no one will buy them. Now they are getting the food so they are hiding. With time this will go away as soon as they know you are the food giver. Also have other people in the house do the same and they will not hide from anyone.
HTH,
Frank