PDA

View Full Version : Where to order?

GottaBeKiN
02-10-2006, 01:18 AM
Hi everyone, I am wondering which website is good and reliable to order aquarium plants for a Discus tank.

Kin

diablocanine
02-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Several sponsors of the planted tank sell online and aquabid is a good source if you know what to look for and how much it is worth. I would recommend making a list of plants you want and then search for them. (I get most of my plants from hobbyists for a couple of bucks and the price of shipping. I try to give my cuttings away, they end up in the trash if no one takes them.) Keep in mind that if a plant is listed at a growing temp of 76 degrees that does not mean it will not survive in a discus tank, it may be okay in 86 degrees but will require more light than a 76 degree tank.

GottaBeKiN
02-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Thank you for your answer, any input for www.aquariumplants.com? Or any hobbyists out there selling their plants? I am looking for something that is going to carpet the floor like the Dwarf Subulata or gypsy chain sword. And a couple of hardy plants for high temp. I don't have CO2 but have a good amount of light. Thank you.

RyanH
02-10-2006, 12:31 PM
I've ordered from them before and had a great experience. The prices were good and so was their quality. I recommend them.

Organic Farmer
02-10-2006, 01:03 PM
www.aqauriumplants.com

tpl*co
02-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Same here, got from aquabid and aquariumplants.com, just tried someone on ebay too with good experience :).

GottaBeKiN
02-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Thank you for all the responses, I think I will give aquariumplants.com a try.

Kin

CAGE-RATTLER
02-10-2006, 01:25 PM
http://www.aquariumplants.com/cgi-bin/cart/index.html?id=3ceHX3KD

CAGE-RATTLER
02-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Im interested in adding some plants to my tanks mainly to help keep the nitrates down and lower the frequency needed for WC's.

I also dont want to add more light to inflate my electric bill.

I have a 40 watt flourescent on my 100 gallon and a 32 watt flourescent on my 55.

I will also be putting them in some type of container so i can keep it BB. (community tank is gravel bottom)

Are there any plants that will thrive with the low light and be easy to maintain??

I also get good light from the windows during the day as well.

tpl*co
02-10-2006, 02:13 PM
LOL, yes I saw a jump in my bill as soon as I added the power compacts, but boy could I grow more plants!

With low light you could grow anubias, java fern, and maybe some crypts, (I've found that retrospirilus seems to do OK with low light, looks like val). Depending on how much light you are getting in your window you may be able to get away with some bunched plants. I had trouble with algae until I added ambulia and hygro, I also have riccia, crypts, ocelot sword and a rubin sword in my planted tank. I think I've gotten to a good point that my algae problem is going down. I don't use CO2 and have my temps around 84-86. I also had some duckweed hitch in on some other plants and it is going crazy! I'm also trying some taiwan moss (java moss seemed to die out with algae for some reason in my tank, but the taiwan moss seems to be growing). On the anubias look for the big round leaved types, not the triangle or long pointy types, they seem to do better.

HTH,
Tina

Chrisb
02-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Kin

http://www.azgardens.com/index.php
Good prices but high shipping. Great looking plants.

Chris

Alight
02-11-2006, 12:53 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=30631

Check out the sticky at the top of this forum (pasted here). Lots of links to places to buy plants. Check them all out, compare prices, etc.

Al Light

GottaBeKiN
02-11-2006, 01:49 AM
thanks for all the responses.

Kin

CAGE-RATTLER
02-11-2006, 03:10 AM
Thanx Tina

diablocanine
02-12-2006, 01:08 AM
Im interested in adding some plants to my tanks mainly to help keep the nitrates down and lower the frequency needed for WC's.

I also dont want to add more light to inflate my electric bill.

I have a 40 watt flourescent on my 100 gallon and a 32 watt flourescent on my 55.

I will also be putting them in some type of container so i can keep it BB. (community tank is gravel bottom)

Are there any plants that will thrive with the low light and be easy to maintain??

I also get good light from the windows during the day as well.

I would suggest duckweed, it is a nitrate sponge, floats on the surface and should grow with your lighting. Not too many plants that can be grown successfully with less than 2wpg. Do you get algae on the glass that is exposed to the sunlight? How long is the tank exposed to the sunlight?