PDA

View Full Version : Honestly... How often do you do WCs

Cosmo
02-10-2006, 10:57 AM
We've had a huge discussion under the thread on Market discussions, and one of the topics that's gotten introduced is the necessity of frequent water changes... So vote in the poll... feel free to remain annonymous by not posting a comment.. or, feel free to post a comment

Edited clarification: My thought process when posting this poll was centered around Adults, and the title should have mentioned this. My apologies

:)

Jim

architect1
02-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Every other day. But befor I use to do once a week or other week. I have done with out doing it for a month. That was back when I had discus angels and stuff.

Now with discus every other day.

Cosmo
02-10-2006, 11:07 AM
I did 50% a day for a very long time. Time just doesn't permit now, so I typically do every other day with one or two back to back days thrown in during the week as well.

Could be my imagination, but I notice a definate positive difference in my fish with increased WC activity

Jim

traco
02-10-2006, 11:10 AM
I pretty much do 50% daily but have skipped a day here and there and will do the next day. I will do a 80% water change around once a month. All water changes are with aged water.

My discus are a year old now though. When juvies, I was doing 50% daily.

Cosmo
02-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Excellent point Traco... with Juvies, and hospitalized fish ... I always do 50% daily as well

Jim

CAGE-RATTLER
02-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Not enough options up there ..... lol.

On my 55 gal juvie tank right now im doing 95% every other day with aged water.

My 100 gallon Community tank with 2 adult discus and various other fish get 80% once a week.

pcsb23
02-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Much like Jim (Cosmo) adults every other day, twice at weekends. Planted tanks 2 -3 times a week.

QT/Hosp and growouts daily, unless special case treatment.

Paul.

discus4life
02-10-2006, 12:09 PM
before when my fish were growing out i do 50% daily, but after a year they are junk fish, i dont do as much water change.

Greg Richardson
02-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Limited the poll when only 50% used.
Also I think either include juvies or do seperate poll for them.
I did the poll BEFORE I read adults only so my vote don't count. LOL!
I certainly skip my adults daily wc's depending on other priorities.
I have no schedule with them.
My juvies are first priority.
Future breeding stock that are around 3" are next then adults.

DarkDiscus
02-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Can I say none of the above?

I do 60-90% every second day. I find that this is the best for my 180 gallon tank. I have done daily and I have done less during stretches, but my fish seem healthier and more active when I keep to doing the changes every other day, alternating between a small (50-60% or so) and large (75-90%) change.

John

Cosmo
02-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Live and learn... except don't know you can cover all the possibilities with only 10 options to work with.. lol The oversight of mentioning adults in the title of the poll was a definate deficiency... :( Just fixed it..

I started with the intent of having "Other .. Please comment" as the last option but got lost somewhere along the way :o

Jim

Alan
02-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Ummm... Re-do the poll? :p :D

tpl*co
02-10-2006, 12:27 PM
LOL, depends on which tank :). My planted tank with 2 discus I do water changes every other day while my discus grow out tank and breeding tank gets every day :).

Tina

mikechen
02-10-2006, 12:29 PM
I always feed more than enough so I have to do 80% WC every two days. Most of my friends do WC after feeding--that is more than 4 times a day for discua at one month to one year old. I heard that the more WC a day during juveniles, the larger discus grow. I do not know if it is correct or not. Mike Chen

Greg Richardson
02-10-2006, 01:04 PM
If I had my choice I'd do 75% wc every day on my adults.
But since time is limited along with water storage I don't.
Reason I'd do it every day is the happy healthy reaction my fish give off on each wc.

Cosmo
02-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Greg..

Same thoughts.. (large daily WCs = happy fish ) :) Same issues (storage capacity / time ) :(

Greg Richardson
02-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Cosmo. Some people have house keepers, chef's, nannys, etc.
I think u and I need a water changer.

Bainbridge Mike
02-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I do a 75% water change every 2-3 days and do a "mini" water change of 5 gallons (enough to siphon all the poop of the bottom) on each of the in-between days).

Cosmo
02-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Greg... I've tried.. believe me. The wife simply REFUSES to do WCs... lol

alpine
02-10-2006, 08:20 PM
I started doing 50% every day with aged water , did that for my first three months of keeping discus , then went to 75% every two days with tap water . Jim, I agree , the fish can really feel that water change ..they like it.:)

roberto.

Ardan
02-10-2006, 08:26 PM
I have found my water to have a very stable ph. hard to adjust ph unless using RO.
SO I am not aging, but mixing in a barrel to get the right temp, add dechlor and do wc
so I do about 60%/day and then on Saturday I am doing a much larger wc about 95%. (as per Willies NADA article)
I think the fish really liked it, great colors and lots of activity.:)
Ardan

kaceyo
02-11-2006, 12:55 AM
Jim,
I do daily 50% on my adults which is especialy important because I have a tendancy to over stock my tanks. I have tried every other day and the fish just didn't seem as active and vibrent. I'd like to do larger than 50% but adults get straight from the tap WC's and I don't feel comfortable with over 50%.
BTW, when I voted it said I had already posted in the poll.(?) Don't know whats up with that.

Kacey

Alight
02-11-2006, 01:11 AM
Planted adult tank, 60% every three days,
55 gallon bb grow out tank, 70% every day.

This has more to do with stocking levels than anything else.

6 Adult Discus and other fish in th3 55 gallon planted tank

33 2-3 inch juvies in the 55 gallon bb growout tank (this will be reduced to 8 soon, but may go up again if I don't sell all the juvies before the next new batch of fry is ready to go in the tank.