PDA

View Full Version : How old will the spotted discus start to show spots?

mikechen
02-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know when will the spotted discus like LSS start to show red spots? I once read at two inches large and someone mentioned on web that some discus start to grow spots at the age of one and a half . What is the average age? Thanks!

A nice LSS picture I find on web:
http://coralbbs.twbbs.org/cgi-bin/topic.cgi?forum=13&topic=996&start=0&show=0

Alan
02-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Hi Mike,

At 1.5" - 2" with spots, they are probably hormoned. The thing is some breeders want to see if the fish are spotted as early as they can so they can sell them as early as they can and get the cashflow. Some say they are using "natural" hormones so it won't harm the fish. Some say it's only a small dose to see the color of the fish, so it's really not harmful. These may be true but I haven't read any study/experiment to support these hormone claims. The problem becomes complicated because you don't really know if the fish's internals are harmed until it's somewhere down the road when the hormoned fish is at the hands of the consumer and the illness becomes chronic. With all the WC's and the "try this and that medication," you get a burned out hobbyist.

Spots come out naturally at 3.5" or so. At that size, fed properly and maintained in clean water (whether regular WC's or drip or whatever), they are about 3 - 4 months old.

Keep in mind that discus-keeping is for those who have the patience or who are willing to develop the patience. You can't wake up the next day look at your 1.5" fry and expect spots. Have the patience. Enjoy your fish as they grow and watch them develop into the wonderful fish that they are. And, hopefully, you have healthy fish to start out with.

kaceyo
02-11-2006, 01:10 AM
My first SE's didn't show any spots at all till they were over 6 months old. The two fry I bred myself (yes I said 2, lol) by crossing the SE with an RSG type started showing some spotting at 3 months, and were about 3". Alot depends on the genes. But be wary of young fish with spots.

Kacey

mikechen
02-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Alan: Thanks for telling me that spotted discus are usually develope spots at 3.5" because I can only see the blue color right now. Right now I worry about my juveniles tends to be more and more mango shaped. I guess large quantity WC is not good for spotted discus. (trace back to their RSG ancestors) They keep on eating but the growth rate are far behind my BD at the same age. Is that normal? I am new at the spotted discus.

Kaceyo: Thanks. Each time I go to LFS seeing the 2" LSS
already show full body spots and my discus show only the blue color.

Mike Chen

Jeff
02-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Ask anyone who breeds a lot of Leopards and they will tell you SOME will show faint spots at .5"!!! But for the most part LSS have to be above 3" to see much spotting. LSS spot up later than the Leopards do.

mikechen
02-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks Jeff, the reason I ask is I saw some 1"1.5" LSS juveniles picture post on web they all have full body spots and my spotted discus are more than 2" now and have no spot at all. Now I know why there's a lot of people like the spotted discus. It's kind of gambling feeling. I also heard lots of discus shown spots while young turn out to be turkis after they fully grown.