PDA

View Full Version : Help no wigglers after 10

NYDiscusslover
02-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi, This is my first posting. I logged on out of desparation, hoping to get helpful imformation. My pair has laid their 10th set of eggs. The female is on a 3 day cycle, but I haven't gotten any wrigglers out of her 10 clutchs. I thought the eggs weren't getting fertilized at first b/c I was never home during the day when they spawn so i was unsure if the male was mature enough. The male and female are both just about a year. old Last night they spawned (9pm) and I got to see it. The male is following after the female and seems to be doing what he is suppose to do but not quite enough. Now i am confused that 1. either his sperm is not mature enough or 2. the eggs are just getting fungised right from the beginning. They eggs look the same (in all 10 times) for the next two days, the male and female take turns fanning the eggs and seem to be perfect parents untill i think they realize it is useless and on the third day eats the eggs.:confused:
Help what is wrong :)

Kelly

AADiscus
02-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Kelly,

Are you sure what you are calling your male is a male?

If he is a male he probably just isn't old enough yet. Alot of times it takes the male longer to mature than females.

Just have patience!!!! LOTS!!!! They will get there eventually.

White Worm
02-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Some pairs take upwards of 15-20 times to get it right. What size tank do you have? Tankmates? Parameters of your water. These things would be good to know to be able to help a little more. Males are the last ones to get it right. If he's inexperienced, it may take more trys. If the eggs just turn white, he didnt do his job (or he could be another she). If they turn cottony (like fungus) you may have to introduce Methyl blue or some other anti fungal product. It could also be that there is too much current during his turn. Turn down current from any filters during his run. Eggs will turn darker if all is well. Patience is the key. It will come in time. I know how you feel, two pairs that I have right now keep eating their eggs. It can become frustrating but they will surprise you one day with fry. Water conditions need to be pretty good to succeed. Let us know and good luck. Welcome to simply by the way. Mike

Carol_Roberts
02-10-2006, 05:19 PM
First thing you want to do is test the water hardness. Get a GH test kit. GH need to be between 3 - 8 for eggs to hatch and pH to remain stable. If yours is higher than GH9 you will need to get an RO to make soft water to mix with your tap to bring GH down below 9.

NYDiscusslover
02-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for your quick responses. The male is def a male. They paired off in a community tank and I have check their tubes with a magnifying glass - so that i am pretty sure he is a he :)

Since the female has been so on schedule i know exactly what day she is going to lay agains. So the morning before i shut down the power filter and lower the flow on the airline tube.

PH 6.5 6.8 temp 86.

This is actually the first times for both of them. I have had them since they were about 3 months.

Since I was home last night to see the entire process from begining to end. My concern is that the eggs looked very white when she first laid them. Usually she would lay the eggs while i was at work and by the time i got home and saw them they were already white, which I assumed was becuase the male wasn't fertilzing. Is it normal for the eggs to be so white when first laid?

:confused:

Carol_Roberts
02-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Normal is clear amber to red. Opaque white eggs are dead. Fertilized eggs in hard water turn white and die after 2 or 3 days.

lauren0626
02-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi Kelly,
Freshly laid eggs should be orange. As time goes by the unfertilzed and fungused eggs turn white, and fertilized eggs turn dark.
I am not sure why your female is laying white eggs. It might be the hardness of your water. You may try to post more details on your water parameters.

Lauren

NYDiscusslover
02-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Hi Lauren,

My ph is 6.5 - 6.8 and my temp is 86, 0 nitrates 0 ammonia. 25% water change every night. The breeding pair is in a 20g high alone. I have tested my water hardness before and it was medium soft (dont remember the exact number, I am at work ) I will check as soon as i get home.

Thank to everyone who has given me advice on this site.
:D