PDA

View Full Version : Sexing

architect1
02-10-2006, 10:15 PM
How can You sex blue dimonds there 4.5". They to small or just not old enough to start mating. I have one discus that has this black coloration starting at the begining of the tail. It looks like chocolet. its the only one with this coloration.

Ryan
02-10-2006, 10:19 PM
The only definite way is to watch them spawn and determine which one's laying eggs. The breeding tubes are different - females have a thicker, rounded breeding tube and males have a more pointed, thin tube.

I've heard people claim to be able to sex discus, but I don't think it's ever been proven to be 100% accurate.

Ryan

sean13
02-10-2006, 11:21 PM
The only definite way is to watch them spawn and determine which one's laying eggs. The breeding tubes are different - females have a thicker, rounded breeding tube and males have a more pointed, thin tube.

I've heard people claim to be able to sex discus, but I don't think it's ever been proven to be 100% accurate.

Ryan
I agree with Ryan 100%. That is the only sure way to sex discus.

I also read how people sex their fish by how their head is shape but again, I donot now if this is a accurate way of finding the sex.

Sean:D

architect1
02-11-2006, 01:01 PM
yeah i know oscars can be sexed easy and angels cause the male has a crown but my discus no way. they all look alike.

Ryan
02-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Male angels don't always have a "crown" or a bump on their head. I've also seen this trait in female angelfish. So that's also not 100% accurate.

Ryan