PDA

View Full Version : Snow storm

Doug A
02-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Hello all!

Who else here is getting hit with the snow storm in the east?http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_4_3.gif

They are predicting 10" - 16" of snow for me in Northeastern NJ. If it's a light powdery snowhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_6_18.gif
If it's a wet heavy snowhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_4_5.gif
Not looking forward to it.

Doughttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_4_4v.gif

Discus_KC
02-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Here's what we got the last time they called for a foot of snow.

Good luck

Jack

hexed
02-12-2006, 12:52 AM
The storm has just started to intensify here in my city. We are getting blizzard warnings now. It started snowing around 10 pm. We are suppose to get 12- 14 plus inches ;)

DISCUS USA
02-12-2006, 01:42 AM
All of you guys that have to clean snow from front of your property consider yourself lucky,,i m super of my building and have to clear out 500 long feet of side walk and 2 big parking lots on premisis.. lol.. all by myself tommorow..lol.. just thought it would cheer u up knowing things could be worst.. :)

Im not cleaning nothing tonite ..learned from experience in these over night storms wait for the morning to start or better yet wait til you hear from news storm is moving out of area soon before starting to clean..

hexed
02-12-2006, 02:08 AM
Hector,
Actually, my roommate cleans off the stairs and our sidewalk. As for the driveway my cousin's husband plows it for me LOL! I say mother nature put it there and she can come take it away LOL! If my cousin cannot find time to plow we just drive through it. Our driveway is 50 feet long!
Frank

CAGE-RATTLER
02-12-2006, 07:48 AM
I just woke up to about 8-10 inches here in Baltimore County and wont even bother starting tro clear it till about noon when its supposed to stop.

I have a nice snow blower so its not to hard clearing it here.

It definately looks like a nice wet heavy snow tho and it looks pretty cool the way it builds up on things like the top of the fence rails and even on my cable for my dog run. On the dog run cable it looks like its a 3 inch round white cable with the snow surrounding it completely ...... lol.

Im sitting here now watching the birds knocking the snow off the fence and bird feeders so i guess i'll go give them a hand getting to the food ....... lol. Got a squirrel feeder full of peanuts out there too but i guess the squirrels can take care of that one ..... lol.

Definately the kinda snow that will snap tree limbs and knock out power so hopefully that wont happen here.

Snow removal at noon and sledding at about 3 hopefully!

We've had a very mild winter here so we were definately due for some accumilation.

Doug A
02-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Hector,
Sorry to hear that!!

Frank,
Sounds like you have it made. LOL

Cage,
We've had a mild winter too. I usually like the snow but at this time I could do without it.

My snowblower is a relic. Built in 1957. It still works, but It's a bit tempermental. LOL Have to play with the controls to keep it running. Been trying to keep it alive the past few years with some luck. Hard to get parts for something that old. I wanted to buy one of those top of the line, full of bells and whistles, electric start, brand new ones, but didn't have the money. Maybe next fall. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_8_4v.gif
I'm sure once I get a new one we won't get an inch of snow that winter. LOL

Just woke up to 12" of snow on the ground and still comin' down heavy.:( Looks like a light, powdery snow. My relic shouldn't have any problems cutting thru it.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_34.gif

Doug

Ardan
02-12-2006, 09:27 AM
I see power is going off to tens of thousands in the NE. Hope all of you and yours and your fish do OK:)

Ardan

AmberC
02-12-2006, 10:17 AM
I'm down in Va Beach and we just had a little bit pass thru. We got some on Friday too. Not much, real light. But it was cool to see it coming down. We lived in Wa state for the past 3 yrs and didn't get much there at all and from what I hear, we dont get much here either lol.
Amber

brewmaster15
02-12-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm at 12 inches already...going to be a long afternoon!
-al

Organic Farmer
02-12-2006, 01:02 PM
im sooo glad i moved back to jerzey from tucson az. id be riding with my bros in short sleves and of course no lid. ill be headed back mid april get back into these wonderful fishies

candyl70
02-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Good ol' California!! I hope you guys don't loose power out there!!
Hope everyone has their battery operated gadgets.

DISCUS USA
02-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Hector,
Sorry to hear that!!

I wanted to buy one of those top of the line, full of bells and whistles, electric start, brand new ones, but didn't have the money.

Doug

Thats ok when i have to clean all 500 feet of side walk and 2 large parking lots here on property all bymyself,, i just use think of it as a good work out,, feel good and look good after wards..lol.. turn the tables on mother nature just think of shoveling as a workout not as a horrible chore peoples.. :)

And Doug i got one those good good electric starter type new snow blower its 2 years old and i still have to play with it to make it start,, usually its the oil and gas mixture you have to play with or oil needs changing or not full to the line where its supposed to be.. i usually dump the old oil in snow blower and refill with new so i dont waste time trying to start the darn thing and get to work.. lol..

Hector NYC

DISCUS USA
02-12-2006, 01:39 PM
This is my job today,,remove all this snow make it look like a regular summer afternoon.. no visible snow on floor..lol.. still i love my job..

Anyone feel sorry for me and wants to send me free fish can do so just pm me,,lol.. joking.. :)

KD
02-12-2006, 01:42 PM
We've been preparing for this - Cut and stacked about 1/2 cord of wood for the woodstove, covered that wood nice and cozy, have the plow blade on the ATV and ready to go. I'm up in Orange county NY.
Not supposed to get as much snow as NYC, we are on the border line of the heavy snowfall. It was a pretty sight to wake up to.
Just cleared the front walk and it wasn't that bad.
Took some photos.
Hope everyone else fares well with the storm!
Karen

brewmaster15
02-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Karen,
I too moved in the cord of wood yesterday..Fireplace is toasty warm...and the snow is still falling!

-al

KD
02-12-2006, 01:49 PM
NO SWIMMING TODAY, LOL!

hexed
02-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Brew,
Jimmy shoveled at 7 am and said he measured the snow on our porch and it was about 7 inches. At 10 am he shoveled again, almost 12 inches. We were getting 3-4 inches an hour! He has not gone out yet to shovel again but there is another 4 plus LOL!
I told you we would get SMACKED LOL!
Seems to be letting up here right now but there are still bands of snow that still need to come through ;)
My camero has about 15 inches of snow on the roof and that goes end to end of the car with a HUGE drift about 4 feet high going to the end of our property. I will try to get a picture LOL!
Frank

KD
02-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Hi Al,
I hear you guys are getting it pretty bad in CT.
Thank God for woodstoves- Saves on the darn oil bills and helps keep Dicus alive during power failures. We were out all day in Jan as a result of someone hitting a utility pole and splitting it into three. I covered the tanks with blankets and kept the woodstove burning hot. The guy walked away from it- but I'm sure he owed lots of $ to the cable and electric companies. I'll attach a picture.
Hope you and your family and fishies hold up!
Karen

Doug A
02-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Well! It's almost finished snowing here. WAY TOO MUCH SNOW!!!! 19" is the total for me. My driveway is 130' from garage door to the street. Then there is the parking area. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_1.gifHere are a few pics.

Doug A
02-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Here is my pond on the left. The hot tub will be getting used tonight.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_3_204.gif The BBQ grill looks like it's wearing a big white hat. LOL

Hope everybody else is doing well with the storm. Remember not to over exert yourself while shoveling snow.

Frank don't over exert yourself watching other people shovel.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_9_12.gif You could get eye strain or even sympathy pains. LOL

Doug

hexed
02-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Doug,
I told him to get a snow blower but he said then it would not snow. I said good! LOL!
We had a gap but it is again snowing like crazy!!!! I do not like the cold and I am going to Vegas on the 22nd and will be "sick" free LOL!

Doug A
02-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Frank,
Good luck in Vegashttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_15_11.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_15_10.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_15_4.gif

Win lots of Money for more Discus. :D

Doug

brewmaster15
02-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Frank,
You had better come over today instead of tuesday...If you start shoveling from one end of my driveway and I start at the house..we can meet by tuesday...I have about 15 inches and still snowing...thats not counting those dang snow drifts.

-al

Gold Mt Discus
02-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Frank,(Hexed)

to heck with the shovel, take a snow blower or better yet an entire road crew. That looks like work.
Al, you could then sit in the house and wait for Frank to get to you. hahaha

Frank (Gold Mt)

Timbo
02-12-2006, 06:05 PM
19"? thats just a heavy frost for us canadians ;)

hexed
02-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Ok,
I hekped Jimmy shovel and now I am buying a snow blower! There were 5 city plows parked in front of my house and none of them would plow my driveway which is 50+ feet long. Our driveway starts on a side street and goes behind the property next to us. They would no help. We have about 2 feet of snow and the drifts in my front yard and come up to my waist :(
The dogs went to go to the bathroom and disappeared, they are 65 and 92 pounders and I had to rescue them from the dreaded snow drift monster LOL! You had to see it, puf they were gone and just leases going into the snow LOL!
My back is KILLING ME! LOL! Somewhere back there is my camero which I cannot find LOL! Just this HUGE snowdrift, must be 4-5 feet! Jimmy's mother's car had 18 inches of snow on it and my camero is behind it. The camero is lower then hers and has even more snow on it LOL! Looks like my car will be there til spring ;)
Frank

Al,
I'm coming over on Tuesday -- That driveway better be plowed!! LMAO!!

brewmaster15
02-12-2006, 10:00 PM
I ache!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

I just shoveled..:mad: :mad: :mad:

-al

CAGE-RATTLER
02-12-2006, 10:14 PM
lol ........... I did very little shoveling as my snowblower worked great once again.
I live next door to my parents so i have 2 yards to do and my dads is the hardest too. His driveway is about 20 feet wide and about 75 feet long and at the back of the house its 45 feet wide for the turn around. My sister and brother in law is staying with them right now while theyre house is being built so luckily i had some extra help. I always do my neighbors yard as well cause he isnt in good health.

But im still sore as all get out ...... lol.

And to make matter worse ............ i took the kids sledding and of course i made a few runs as well.

Man im getting old .......... lol.

As long as i keep moving i feel fine but as soon as i sit a bit its real tough to get back up ...... lol.

I know its gonna be real tough getting out of bed tomorrow .......... lol.

Thank god i didnt let them talk me into trying that snowboard .......... lol.

Doug A
02-12-2006, 10:35 PM
I think everybody that shoveled acheshttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_108.gif

You're all invited to soak in the hot tub. Only 2 at a time though. It's a small one.lol

I'm jumping in in a few min.

Doug

hexed
02-12-2006, 11:42 PM
They claim we are not getting old that we are like fine wine just getting better. Right now I want to bang the bottle of wine against the wall until it feels my pain! LMAO!!!
The guy across the street has a snow blower and everytime he says he will help us it breaks down LOL! Now I will definately win in Vegas so I can get both a snow blower and discus LOL!
Frank

Doug A
02-12-2006, 11:46 PM
They claim we are not getting old that we are like fine wine just getting better. Right now I want to bang the bottle of wine against the wall until it feels my pain! LMAO!!!

LMAO!!!

Drink the wine to soothe your pain.

Doug

sean13
02-13-2006, 12:17 AM
I woke up to about 15 in of snow here in mount vernon,Ny.I couldnt belive it.

But I did have a good time sleading with my freinds and even better, theirs no school tommorow.:D

sidra
02-13-2006, 07:16 PM
I live on Long Island but was in upstate NY until this morning. Imagine how worried I was being upstate knowing the storm was bad on Long Island and I'm not home and can't get home if the power goes out!!! Luckily the power stayed on! Funny thing is, north of Albany at my parents we only got a dusting and here on Long Island about a foot.

Kristen

KD
02-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Hope everyone has dug out by now and enjoying a glass of wine or a beer right now ( 21 years or older of course) and sitting cozy and warm and enjoying the view of the fallen snow. It does give the dull leafless scenery a lift.

KD
02-13-2006, 08:42 PM
And one family member just taking advantage of a winters nap.
As you can see he doesn't mind the snow at all.