PDA

View Full Version : water from hot water tank

grelot
02-12-2006, 07:47 PM
lets say I have an old hot water tank that is full of rus an deris inside.
If I use the water from it for my fishes but before to put the water in the tank I pass the water into a 1 micron filter cartridge and then into a high quality carbon filter that adsorb many kind of chemicals.
Do you think there could be a problem in using this water after it is filtered this way???

Doug A
02-12-2006, 08:30 PM
I have rust in both my cold and hot water lines. I filter my water thru a 5 micron filter then thru 2 carbon filters. A few of my discus did eventually have jagged fins. Not sure if this is from the carbon or not, but you could combat this from happening by adding trace minerals back to your water.

HTH,
Doug

April
02-12-2006, 10:17 PM
should be a valve on the bottom where you can drain-off alot of the sediment, with crap comming out of the water like that a 5m filter can clog pretty fast.

Jason-(holed-up at Aprils' crib)

Timbo
02-12-2006, 10:57 PM
hey, i wanna post under April's nick too! (and between the two of us Jason, in no time we'll bump her past Carol Robert's 721,332,638 posts)

on topic: i bring nothing to the table really, but i'd say its still possible that there could lots of metallics disolved in the water from that tank even after fine mechanical filtration. New hotwater tanks are much cheaper than new discus.

Jason
02-13-2006, 02:23 AM
hehe sounds good

grelot
02-13-2006, 08:32 PM
I know it's cheaper than discus but I live in a house that I rent so I'm not gonna pay for a hot water tank.
I'd like to use some hot water to mix withg the cold in aging barrels but I'm scared.I did drain off the hot water tank but it's impossible to make it 100% clear of debris.
So can this really do harm to the discus if I use that water after it's filtered into a 1 micron and into a carbon???

Ardan
02-13-2006, 09:32 PM
imo I think it will be fine.
Maybe high in iron?? if galvanized pipes??
I use novaqua which says it neutralizes heavy metals including copper.
Maybe use some water conditioner like that if you'd feel safer.

hth
Ardan