PDA

View Full Version : Beginner ?'s HITH? Nutrition?

BCUZICANM5
02-12-2006, 11:26 PM
I have 5 Discus. I bought my first two over a year ago and let them grow in a 10 gallon bare bottom tank. About 5 months ago I relocated them to a 55 gallon tank and bought three more. I have been feeding my discus Hikari Brine Shrimp, bloodworms and just recently started presoaked tetrabits.

My tanks setup:

I have a 55 gallon tank with two 55 gallon box filters. The tank is a bare bottom with a cave and a few fake plants. I do water 20-30% water changes every 2-3 days. Recently the water has become cloudy. I broke down the filters and gave them a good cleaning. Is their something that is safe for Discus to help the water clear up?

Temp: 86
Ammonia: 0
PH: <=7

I was reading on the forum about diseases and found a post on HITH. I remembered my fish having similar markings. I took some pictures i am not sure if it is really HITH.

If it is what am I doing wrong? Is their a way to make the holes close up without using medication? Is their anything I should add to their diets? The Brown Discus was just purchased last week. The two blue discus i have had for close to a year. They never hide or show any weird behavioral signs.

Thanks in advance for the help.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/BCUZICAN540/DSC00826.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/BCUZICAN540/DSC00824.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/BCUZICAN540/DSC00827.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/BCUZICAN540/DSC00816.jpg

ShinShin
02-13-2006, 01:02 AM
HITH is generally said to be caused by intestinal flagellates after a discus has become severely stressed. Many factors add to the stress of discus. Water parameters (such as temp, pH, conductivity, cleanliness), diet, overcrowding, etc.

A similar malady, LLE (lateral line erosion)(maybe it is the same) is said to also be caused by constant exposure to activated carbon.

The only thing I would do to clear the water is to do a series of large water changes.

Mat

BCUZICANM5
02-13-2006, 02:03 AM
Ok, I have carbon is in all 4 filter cartriges in the located in the box filters. I was unaware carbon was bad for discus. Should I get rid of all the carbon in the Filters? Is it not needed for the tank. I typically use aged tap water (8hrs) for my water changes and replace 10-15 gallons. I have two Fluval 404's lying around. Should I add one to the tank and get rid of the box filters? What type of media would be good?

pcsb23
02-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Carbon should only be used to specifically remove something from the water, e.g. meds. Remove the carbon and replace with sponges or bio balls. Regular w/c works wonders. Problem with carbon is it remves good stuff as well as bad stuff from the water.

hth,
Paul.

KIWI13
02-20-2006, 04:41 AM
Carbon isnt bad for discus. Carbon just has a short life and will release all that its taken out of the water in a week... I generally use carbon for no more than 24 hours...

Just like Paul mentioned; it takes out everything and if left int he tank will release everything back into the water making u start off at zero again..

ShinShin
02-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Lateral line erosion has been linked to constant exposure to activated carbon as mentioned by Jack Wattley in numerous articles and talks.

Mat

pcsb23
02-20-2006, 04:08 PM
I don't advocate continually using carbon in tanks, any tanks whether they have discus, guppies or tangs and seahorses in. I do advocate using carbon when you need to target a toxin or a med, in these circiumstances it can do a good job. As Jas said don't leave in too long cos it will leach the bad stuff out again.

Paul.

Alight
02-20-2006, 06:59 PM
I don't see any obvious HITH or later line erosion in the pictures you posted. Maybe I'm missing something? Looks like normal lateral line and nostrils to me. The Discus do look a bit stunted, but not terribly unhealthy at all.

I'd still take out the carbon, as it is not needed and won't help your cloudiness problem and has been associated (even by me) with HITH.

Cloudy water can be from many causes. Check ammonia and nitrites. If either of these are above zero, increase your water changes to get them below 0.25 and after a couple of weeks, they should be back to zero and your cloudiness should be gone.

Increasing filtration will also probably take care of your cloudiness problem. Filters are notriously rated higher per gallon than they really can take care of, particularly when it comes to Discus. I run an Aqua Clear 110 (supposedly 110 gallons) and a Whisper that also supposedly runs a 75 gallon tank, and also have sponge filters that supposedly run a 50 gallon tank, all on my 55 gallon tank, and it seems about right.

Ardan
02-20-2006, 07:49 PM
I don't see HITH either.

but wouldn't use carbon for any long periods.

would also feed less to help with cloudiness.

hth
Ardan