PDA

View Full Version : Plants growing OUT of a Discus tank?

CAGE-RATTLER
02-13-2006, 01:27 PM
I've heard that plants will remove some nitrates from the water and i believe in some of Carols tanks she has some philadendrums (sp?) growing out of her tanks with just the roots in the water and the plants hanging out of the tank.

Im assuming since they are feeding from inside the tank it too will also help remove nitrates?

Im just wondering what other types of plants you can do that with?

If i attempt to try to just put some clippings from some house plants in the tank can any of the house plants hurt the fish?

Also since the plants use the nitrates for fertiliser ........... do they also add anything to the water?

Yes im a plant newbie ........ lol.

Just trying to see if having plants in the tank this way will help remove nitrates and since they arent on the bottom of the tank .... it will still be easy to clean the bottom without having to move pots around..

CAGE-RATTLER
02-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Just found this link in the archives with some good info but even more would be better of course.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=25623

I have some plants in pots here but have no clue what they are. The only thing i do know is they are tough to kill ...... lol .;...... as my fiancee hasnt been able to kill these yet .... lol. I dont even think she ever waters them.

Im just leary about trying them in the tank ........... cause i have no idea if they could harm the fish.

Dood Lee
02-13-2006, 05:55 PM
If they aren't true aquatic plants, they will die when submerged. True aquatic plants will take in nitrates from the water column. I'm not sure about those philadendrums plants that other people use since I prefer real aquatic plants.

pcsb23
02-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Cage, most species of Philodendron will grow when their roots are allowed to trail into the aquarium. They will use nitrates and phospahets as well as trace elements. There should be no probs with them depleting any minerals etc, with regular water changes. They don't suffer when their roots are out of the water either so w/c aren't a prob. The trick is keepin the plant outta the water!!. BTW the common spider plant works well like this too!

If you can put a shelf or similar above the tank you can get some really good displays going.

If you do it we'll want pics!!! Well I'll want pics and thats for sure.

So longs as the main body of the plant isn't in the water and the bulk of ht eplant pot is above water ther should be no probs. The plant most likely will rot otherwise.

Although I've never done it I have seen it done and very effective it is too!

Paul.

CAGE-RATTLER
02-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanx paul

hexed
02-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Cage,
You just need to be sure the crown of the plants are not submerged or like Paul said they will rot. Also if you know the names of the plants you are talking about, look them up online and see what the watering requirements are. Even though only the roots are in the water, some plants do not like a lot of water and they end up with root rot. I have seen peace lilies used as a topper for Betta vases.
Frank

anne
02-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Would it not be easier to get some specific floating plants? :confused:
Something like amazon frogbit, or water wisteria, or nile letuce, or...there are loads of different types. Their roots are in the aquarium, but they float on top of the water, so removing some nitrates and phosphates and creating some areas of shade.
I've Nile lettuce which does well.

CAGE-RATTLER
02-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Would it not be easier to get some specific floating plants? :confused:
Something like amazon frogbit, or water wisteria, or nile letuce, or...there are loads of different types. Their roots are in the aquarium, but they float on top of the water, so removing some nitrates and phosphates and creating some areas of shade.
I've Nile lettuce which does well.

I thought of that but dont want to deal with the plants in the tank and my lighting isnt strong to begin with so plants on the surface will make it even darker............. and with a glass top .......... you wouldnt see the plants anyway. The external plants i can wrap all around my stand to make it look better too.

I may try some tho.

Do the floating plants need alot of light?

pcsb23
02-14-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm not aware of any floating plants that will do well and be manageable with your light. Others may well prove me wrong, just my experience. I can't remember the name of one thats ok with low light, but it was an absolute pain, very small and spread rapidly. More trouble than it was worth.

Paul.

anne
02-15-2006, 11:53 AM
I think the small, painfully invasive, low-light weed you're thinking of is duckweed - lemna minor? I've never tried it but have heard it's more like a plague than a plant!
Most floating plants do like higher light levels, but I think that as the light doesn't have to penetrate through the water to reach them it is brighter at the top than people might realise - that's my theory, anyhow! Mine really do do OK with the light they have - not brilliant growth, but still green and healthy looking. I s'pose it depends on exactly how low your low light levels are to start with!
I tend to just take them out and bung them out the way on the tank lid when I need to change water or whatever, so they're not much of a hassle.
The idea of trailing something around the stand and dipping its "fingers" in the water etc sounds lovely, though!

pcsb23
02-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Anne, I think you could be right, mind I don't want to remember its bl**dy name!!

Cage posted somewhere his light levels and they were so low you couldn't hear them! like half a watt per gallon, but you may have a point with them being at the surface. One way to find ot is try it I guess.

Paul.

CAGE-RATTLER
02-15-2006, 12:53 PM
40 watt flourescent on 100 gallon tank & 32 watt on 55 gallon.

The 55 has two 32 watt bulbs but only use 1.

dean
02-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Rattler,
The best plant to try this with is pothos or common Ivy, the kind everyone has around the house growind out of little pots.
Just cut the stem stick in at least an inch of water and it will form roots and grow and grow and.....
You need a means of hanging it in the sides of the tank, but it will work the same as philodendron.
Dean

CAGE-RATTLER
02-15-2006, 05:39 PM
Well i have something in a pot that my fiancee hasnt killed yet and i have a piece in the tank now and will probably tear the rest of the plants apart and add them too.

I just stuck it in the back with the glass top extension holding it in place.

Still waiting for roots to sprout.

pcsb23
02-15-2006, 06:33 PM
40 watt flourescent on 100 gallon tank & 32 watt on 55 gallon.

The 55 has two 32 watt bulbs but only use 1.
I thought I'd remembered about right. You would probably struggle with most 'aquatic' floating plants, particularly if there is a glass cover above them.

Give the plant time and it should root.

Paul.

wisesam
02-16-2006, 04:18 AM
If you can get hands on some long stem lucky bamboo, you can just stick the roots in the tank and have the leaves growing outside.
I have some in my shrimp tank and they work great.
http://www.aquariumstyles.com/pics/bamboo.jpg
http://www.aquariumstyles.com/pics/bamboo2.jpg