PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning to spawn with preventitive meds

stiver james
02-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Ok, As you all know Iam having a hard time getting my discus to breed. I have been reading different threads and have a few more questions to ask. Someone mentioned that my fish may be to old to spawn. The only problem with that is when I got them 2 of the 3 pair spawned. Not since though. About three months now maybe longer. I got one pair from Cary Strong and I think he told be they were only 2 or 3. I believe him on this. The other 2 pair I got from someone else and can't remember if I asked or not. So really don't know. One of the two spawned but not the blue diamonds. I hope they are not to old. Someone else mentioned that they may have parasites. This could be a possiblity. I looked at the SS and I noticed on the males pectral fins (I think I got this right anyway the ones they use to fan the eggs) has some white like spots or something on them. The others look fine. My question is can I treat all three pairs with quick cure (formalin, malachite green) as a preventitive treatment without any damage to the health of the fish. If I can do this I would like to do this now because I am raising my temps back to 86 for a couple of weeks and then plan on doing a major waterchange while lowering the temp to try and induce spawning. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim