PDA

View Full Version : Thin fish

RC67
02-16-2006, 09:53 PM
In the past couple of days. I have noticed that one of my fish has gottin very thin. It will only eat brine shrimp. Was eating everything. All water tests are good. I have not seen it pass anything the last 3-4 days. I thought maybe tape worm,so I treated with parazipro. After 12 hours no worms. Any other suggestion would be helpfull.

Tanks,

rc67

Giniel
02-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Hi I really can't help too much as I have the same problem with a couple of mine. I have tried prazi pro and also metro to no avail. I am trying raising heat up to 86 and adding salt and maybe lowering ph some over a coulpe of days.I will let you know what happens.
Debbie

ps. are there any other fish effected?? Have you changed anything lately or added anything new?

Terrybo
02-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Debbie - What dosage of metro did you use, how frequently did you dose, and for how long? also, what was the water temp when you were using metro?

Terry

aben
02-17-2006, 01:07 AM
Hi,

I had a similar problem, but with a few differences.
This discus was one of two in a 20 G tank and it was the smaller of the two.
The larger discus was more dominant and I think began getting most of the food and stressing out the other discus. The smaller discus had regular bowel movements - none of the stringy, white feces usually associated with parasital infections. However, I did treat with metro for three days, increased the temperature to 92 degrees and separated the two discus.
It's been a few weeks and the blue diamond, the runt of the pair, is doing much better. Eating vigorously and has better color. So, if your discus is small to begin with, you might want to set him/her up in a separate tank or use a divider to see if he/she gets better.
I hope all turns out well.

aben

ShinShin
02-17-2006, 02:59 AM
RC,

Tapeworms are not the problem. Any form of Prazi will be useless. A discus does not get "thin" when infested with tapeworms. Salt is also useless in this case. Round worms or a protozoan infestation ought to be considered.

Mat

Giniel
02-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Hi Terry, I used 250 mg per 10 gallon in a 20 gallon tank every 8 hours for 6 days water temp 90. added salt also at 2 tbsp per 10 gallon . This fish after 2 weeks is still not eating until I put it in my juvie tank and now it eats mainly blood worms and not much else,but at least it is eating now.Not gaining any wiehgt though.I lost another fish this same way so I am trying anything to get it to eat. I have seen no white poop ever and no tape worms. I am almost ready to try it in a 10 gallon alone with clout or something else as a test fish to solve the problem.At least I would know what will work with no white poop showing and no other signs of distress except loosing wieght.
Debbie

ps any ideas will help .Thanks

Terrybo
02-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Debbie -

Try dosing metro at 500 mg per 10 gallons every 8 hours for three days, with the water temperature at 94 to 96 degrees. Make sure your tank is well aerated - I like to use a power filter, and lower the water to about 1 inch below the top of the tank to increase aeration. Do a 50% water change each of the three days, using heated water. The fish normally won't eat during this part of treatment. I then leave the tank temperature elevated for about a week after treatment ends, or until the discus start eating well - whichever comes first. When finished, bring down the water temperature slowly, over the course of a couple of days.

Terry

RC67
02-17-2006, 12:54 PM
I have metro, and will start with that. Any suggestions on what to use for round worms? Also is it best to remove any suppect fish to hospital tank?

thanks,

rc67

Carol_Roberts
02-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Piperzine treats roundworms, but I would go with the metro first. Metro and high heat will not hurt other healthy discus, but It is cheaper to heat and treat a 20 gallon hospital tank.

aziyaeian
02-17-2006, 05:22 PM
if Metro dosn`t work, you should try MB.
maybe they are infected by blood flagellate.

RC67
02-17-2006, 10:38 PM
I have noticed today that somthing is moving in and out og its nosril as it breathes. Any ideas?

thanks,

rc67

RC67
02-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Hi all,
I have moved the fish to a hospital tank. I also noticed three others showing similar symptoms. All four are now in there. One additional thing I noticed was spots whre, maybe the slime has come off? I have temp at 92+ and have add salt and metro. Would it be all rigth to add quick cure for the skin problem? Or should I worry about it later if does not clear up with treatment and water changes.

Thanks,

rc67

Ardan
02-19-2006, 07:32 AM
I wouldn't mix in quick cure

If ever use quick cure, use at lower temps (84F)
it has formalin and will deplete oxygen.
do not use quick cure with open sores, formalin is not good with open wounds.

stay on course with one thing at a time, unless this new development becomes the primary issue. then will have to figure out the best course to take,
keep tank very very clean, also monitor ammonia and nitrite (keep 0)
wc 50%/day

You can increase the salt to 5 tblsp/10 gal or even 10 tablespoon/10 gal

hth
Ardan