PDA

View Full Version : rocks from Lowes

Ryan
02-17-2006, 01:43 PM
I want to put some flat stones/rocks in my tank to make caves or formations, rather than using driftwood. I also like them because South American cichlids will spawn on them. A friend told me that I could get them from Lowes in the garden center. Has anyone ever used rock from Lowes or Home Depot? Is it aquarium safe?

Ryan

hexed
02-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Ryan,
I checked into petco and they wanted $20 for 20 pounds of polished river rock. I happen to check into a dollar store called "Dollar Tree" They have 34 ounce bags which is over 2 pounds for $1. It is the same river rocks that all the pet stores sell and WalMart. I bought 20 bags (42.5 pounds). I could've gotten them from Lowes but I wanted to see what the rocks looked like and at the dollar store they are in onion type bags. So I picked the ones I wanted. I always boil everything ;)
Frank

Westie
02-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Just be careful on the type of rock you are buying. Many types of stone used in the construction of chimney and wall facades will have metals in the rock, nice and shiny in the light but, which can lead to rust or high amounts of disolved compounds. Many shales are like this.

Dissident
02-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Don't use 'Feather Stone' It is volcanic, It would look nice in a chichlid tank... but it won't sink! Great for terrirums and landscaping though :)

scans
02-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Great... Now I gotta worry about my ROCKS floating away !

Dissident
02-18-2006, 01:59 AM
Great... Now I gotta worry about my ROCKS floating away !

:laugh:
I think that is one of the ONLY rocks you will have to worry about that you will see in the landscapeing sections of HD/Lowes :laugh:

nolefan
02-18-2006, 09:55 AM
I have used slate from lowes and never had a problem. I always rinse with boiling water before adding to my tank . Beats buying them from the lps.

Ryan
02-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks everyone. Yeah, the slate is what I was interested in. I like large, flat rocks in the tank. I've never been much for driftwood. I'm going to check them out today :)

Ryan

jeep
02-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Beats buying them from the lps.

Is that the local pfish store? :D

Ryan, the slate should be fine. I would definately boil and scrub it first though.

Dissident
02-18-2006, 02:45 PM
I have used slate from lowes and never had a problem. I always rinse with boiling water before adding to my tank . Beats buying them from the lps.

damn them for putting the 'p' and 'f' so close to eachother on the keyboard!

:D

nolefan
02-18-2006, 02:52 PM
I actually meant local pet store lps should have put local fish store lfs sorry for confusion.I least i spelled rock right.;)

Dissident
02-18-2006, 03:26 PM
You know I spent about 5minutes thinking about what LPS could be :o
;)

You don't want to know what I came up with for a few of them ;)

jeep
02-18-2006, 04:14 PM
:D LOL!! :D Nothing wrong with a little saturday morning humor

Willie
02-19-2006, 06:09 PM
If you want cheap rocks, go to your local gravel store. If there's any doubt, drop some vinegar on the rock. If it fizzes, than the rock will turn the water alkaline over time. If not, you're good to go.

Willie :o