PDA

View Full Version : How long in keeping adult discus in community tank.

stiver james
02-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Been having problems getting the three pair of discus to spawn. Some people on this site suggested that I put them all back in a larger tank together. I did this. My question is how long will it take for them to start pairing off? And is it a good possibility that they will pair up the way they originally were? Also how long should I give them to pair up before I put them back the way that they were? I would only do this if I see no progress. I know I should be patient but I want to get these guys to spawn? Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Carol_Roberts
02-17-2006, 05:25 PM
It would easily take several weeks for them to settle down and pair off

stiver james
02-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks, Needed to know that. Do you think this is a good idea? Jim

Carol_Roberts
02-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Yes . . . and I'd take this opportunity to treat them with parasite clear, etc. Clean them up before trying to breed them again.

stiver james
02-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Good Idea, thanks for the pointer. I have one more question even though I probably know the ansewer to it. I probably should leave the breeding tanks running right? I was just considering saving electricity. Do the sponge filters need heat to operate properly? Even though I have been in the tropical hobby for many years. I do not have alot of expierence with sponge filters. Thanks again. Jim

Ardan
02-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Hi ,
the bacteria in the filters will need food to stay alive, either some ammonia or flake food.
as far as heat, room temp is probably sufficient.
before adding fish back, do a large wc as nitrates will be up.

you could also put those sponge filters in the new tank. and then move them back when necessary

do watch ammonia and nitrite when using parasite clear in case it affects the biofilter

hth
Ardan

Willie
02-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Jim;

If discus are ready to spawn, I have had them re-pair within two weeks. I usually give them up to six weeks. If they don't form pairs, then they are not ready to spawn. Keep track of your dates and you'll know what to do. You can also do force pairing, male from one pair combined with female from another, with the same time horizon.

As for my empty tanks, I keep them running empty with sponge filters. Some tanks have gone three months without fish. Never added any ammonia, etc. to them. They never get cloudy after I return the breeding pairs, so I assume there was no problem with the nitrogen cycle. Expecially when the pairs start to spawn... :D

Willie