PDA

View Full Version : Flushing out new carbon block filters.

kaceyo
02-17-2006, 08:02 PM
How much water do you need to run through a new carbon block filter before it's usable. I tested the water from the filter and the pH is at least one full point higher and the TDS is about 10ppm higher. I half expected the pH to be lower after passing thru the filter since the carbon is acid washed. Will the pH drop back to the usual tapwater pH and TDS with more flushing out?

turkis
02-17-2006, 10:28 PM
How much water do you need to run through a new carbon block filter before it's usable. I tested the water from the filter and the pH is at least one full point higher and the TDS is about 10ppm higher. I half expected the pH to be lower after passing thru the filter since the carbon is acid washed. Will the pH drop back to the usual tapwater pH and TDS with more flushing out?

Hi Kacey,
The carbon block do increase your water pH and TDS, flush the carbon block for approx.10 to 15minutes and ready for use.
Mario

kaceyo
02-17-2006, 11:29 PM
Thanks Mario,
I didn't know that. It puts my pH up to the highest reading on my test kit, which is 7.8 I think, so it could be much higher. My tap is normaly about 7.6 after aging and my tanks run under 7.0. I hope it won't cause problems doing big wc's with that much difference between tank and filtered tap water.

Kacey

turkis
02-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Thanks Mario,
I didn't know that. It puts my pH up to the highest reading on my test kit, which is 7.8 I think, so it could be much higher. My tap is normaly about 7.6 after aging and my tanks run under 7.0. I hope it won't cause problems doing big wc's with that much difference between tank and filtered tap water.

Kacey

Hi Kaceyo,
The carbon block that you have is made of coconut shell and some other brands with different type of material will increase the pH and TDS much more. Yours will do fine.
Mario

kaceyo
02-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Sounds good Mario, thanks.

Kacey

CliffsDiscus
02-18-2006, 02:22 AM
Kacey,
You might look for pin holes on your Discus's head.

Cliff

kaceyo
02-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Hey Cliff,
Why? Do you mean because of the carbon? It's only used to pre-treat the tap water, not in the tanks. Please explain.
Thanks,

Kacey

turkis
02-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Hey Cliff,
Why? Do you mean because of the carbon? It's only used to pre-treat the tap water, not in the tanks. Please explain.
Thanks,

Kacey

Hi Kacey,
From the tap water is fine and Cliff thought that you might be using it on a continuous basis in your tanks.
Mario

CliffsDiscus
02-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Hi Kacey,
Are you using the 9 3/4" cartridge similar to what is sold at
forster and Smith, as carbon block pre-filter? Are you using one
of those undercounter 2 to 3 stage filters for waterchanges. If you are using this type of filter
you have to look for is carbon leakage. Even if the manufacture quotes that
the carbon is good for 3000 gallons your Discus will be sick way before the
manufacture's recommendation. These filters are good for the R.O. but
not for waterchanges. What you are going to experience are what looks
like LLD and Hole in the Head. Most hobbyist would start to medicate
for Hole in the Head but problem is really the carbon block. Jeff Young
last year had experience this from using those filters too, you may want
to contact him too.

Cliff

turkis
02-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi Kacey,
The one's that you are using is fine, they are made of coconut shell and they came from @airwaterice.com and I have been using them for years.
Mario

kaceyo
02-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi guys,
Cliff, yes they are the cartridges that go in a 10" 2 or 3 stage type tapwater filter. Is it supposed to be leaching carbon dust into the water thats the problem? If so, maybe a final sub-micron fiter would help. Or could be that under conditions where high volumes of water are run through them quickly and under pressure that problems occure?
Mario, yes they are the Gem coconut carbon block cartridges. How long have you been using yours without problems? Do you know others that are using them?
Seeing as how I just bought one and started using it I'd like to believe I didn't waste my money, lol. I'd like to hear from anyone else that has used these type of filters that has had either good or bad experiences with them. Please post if you have or feel free to PM me.
Thanks,

Kacey

CliffsDiscus
02-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Kacey,
I think that some of these filters can only absorb so much and after awhile everything just comes back out of the filter into your aquarium. I have place sediment filters before and after the carbon block but that didn't work too.
Maybe Mario's type of carbon block will work for you.
You might want to check out the local pet store and see what they advise.
Some of our LFS have water companies coming out replacing water filtering units that
are either lease or rental, these unit look something like a large size oxygen
tank.

Cliff

turkis
02-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Hi guys,
Cliff, yes they are the cartridges that go in a 10" 2 or 3 stage type tapwater filter. Is it supposed to be leaching carbon dust into the water thats the problem? If so, maybe a final sub-micron fiter would help. Or could be that under conditions where high volumes of water are run through them quickly and under pressure that problems occure?
Mario, yes they are the Gem coconut carbon block cartridges. How long have you been using yours without problems? Do you know others that are using them?
Seeing as how I just bought one and started using it I'd like to believe I didn't waste my money, lol. I'd like to hear from anyone else that has used these type of filters that has had either good or bad experiences with them. Please post if you have or feel free to PM me.
Thanks,

Kacey

Hi Kacey,
You are not wasting your money, they are the good stuff and I have been using them for the past 20 years and a lot of my friends are using them all over the world even including Wayne.
If you have flushed it and it shouldn't have any carbon dust and the one that you purchased is good for 6000 gallons.
I usually replace mine every 2 months even without reaching the 6000 gallons of water through it.
Mario

kaceyo
02-18-2006, 06:43 PM
I flushed it out by running water through it for 15 mins before filling my storage barrel. Thanks for all the input. I'm still open to any experience people have had with them.
Thanks,

Kacey