PDA

View Full Version : Fry Stuck Together

lora
02-23-2006, 05:15 AM
I was wondering if anyone has had this problem. My Discus fry are just starting to become free-swimming, and some of them appear to be caught on something and are swimming around in a bunch and can't untangle themselves from whatever they're caught on. When the parents pick them up and spit them back onto the breeding rock they are still tangled up. Should I try to untangle them or leave them alone.

leonie
02-23-2006, 07:17 AM
I wouldn't stress too much I've had this plenty of times. I think its just something that happens not sure why, but they do seperate themselves and end up fine. Good luck with the fry :angel:

brewmaster15
02-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Young Fry have adhessive glands on their foreheads which is what keeps them attached to the breeding substrate after they hatch.. These glands are then re-absorbed by the body as they go free swimming.. sound s like yours are just at that point.

Hth,
al

This group of fry here was raised artificial and was not free swimming at the time of the picture..see how they clump together... The time point here was 3 days after hatching...

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/80/2D/8897664-69b8-01F8017A-.jpg

hth,
al

lora
02-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks so much for your help, it makes me feel alot better to know that it's natural, and not something I did.

AmberC
02-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Yeah.. sticky little guys lol. Cute tho aren't they!

AADiscus
02-23-2006, 05:46 PM
We they are swimming around stuck together reminds me of skydivers doing formation or something. lol