PDA

View Full Version : Your A Good Man Charlie Brown...Jack~

Kindredspirit
02-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Well~

Where to start...I culled my first discus today~ In fact an hour ago exactly~ I remember when I didnt even know what that word meant~

I wanted to thank Jack for actually walking me thru it and telling me to call him after and this girl did in tears....and I said: 'tell me something good, Jack'.....

And the gentleman made me laugh~

Mike, Tina... I know you guys would have come and I thank you both ~ But if I had to do this too often .....wow~

I have been trying to fix this little guy for almost two months to no avail...Ardan, Ryan, Jason, thanks guys for your help and advice as well~ Don't ever change a thing, guys~

I might have kept going with him, but in the last day or so he was really trippin like he had lost his mind....it was hard to watch~

I use to euthanize puppies and kittens when I worked for the Human Society in San Francisco....People would bring litters upon litters of puppies and kittens cuz they were lazy, uneducated, or did not have the time to spay or neuter their pets and ultimately try to find a home for their selfish result, themselves...In the summer we run out of places for all the babies...

this was just a fish~

But the pain of it was exactly the same~

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Jarrod
02-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Well~

Where to start...I culled my first discus today~ In fact an hour ago exactly~ I remember when I didnt even know what that word meant~

I wanted to thank Jack for actually walking me thru it and telling me to call him after and this girl did in tears....and I said: 'tell me something good, Jack'.....

And the gentleman made me laugh~

Mike, Tina... I know you guys would have come and I thank you both ~ But if I had to do this too often .....wow~

I have been trying to fix this little guy for almost two months to no avail...Ardan, Ryan, Jason, thanks guys for your help and advice as well~ Don't ever change a thing, guys~

I might have kept going with him, but in the last day or so he was really trippin like he had lost his mind....it was hard to watch~

I use to euthanize puppies and kittens when I worked for the Human Society in San Francisco....People would bring litters upon litters of puppies and kittens cuz they were lazy, uneducated, or did not have the time to spay or neuter their pets and ultimately try to find a home for their selfish result, themselves...In the summer we run out of places for all the babies...

this was just a fish~

But the pain of it was exactly the same~

Marie I AM SOOOOOOO Sorry you had to do that...you worked long and hard to keep it going...It's never easy to have to put something out of it's misery I know that for a fact and let me tell ya somthin hon and that is it wasn't JUST a fish to you or anyone else that would have to do that to them.:cry: My heart goes out to you Marie it really does!...the only thing you can think of right now is that you did all you could for it and that's all anyone can do or try to do...Just remember you did the right thing for it.
Hugs
Jarrod

marilyn1998
02-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Marie,

C'mere woman and give me a hug. I feel your grief and your post made me cry. Guess that is why I have had more animals than people in my house over my lifetime. Hell, I couldnt even let babies die and ended up with 9 tanks of kribensis growing out.

I am so glad Jack was there to help you. :angel:

traco
02-23-2006, 02:50 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_67.gif

So sorry, Marie. I know the feeling. You did all you could.

candyl70
02-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Oh Marie!!! I know it's a hard thing to do. You did great tho, I made Mike cull my sick PB. I just couldn't do it, even though he was soooo sick. I fished him out and when i put him in the bag I turned away and just bawled. Glad I don't have to do that too often. Call me if you wanna talk.

White Worm
02-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Oh Marie.....I'm so sorry. I wish I could have made it down sooner to help. I dont think it would have been any easier for you or me. You can say that it was just a fish but we hobbyists understand that these are not just fish sometimes. These are pets just like mans best friend and those meowing felines. Its sad when you have to do that to anything that you have become attached to regardless what it is. It could be a hamster, lizard, fish, dog, etc but it still was important to you and thats all that counts and you did the right thing for your little friend. Keep up the good things you do for the rest of your discus family. Mike.

AmberC
02-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Oh no.. I'm so sorry it didn't work out for him Marie. Your post made me cry too. Sending my ((((HUGS)))) too! I'm sure the little guy appreciated everything you tried to do for him!
Amber

cobaltblue
02-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Marie i am soooo sorry for your loss. You do a great job with your discus, and sometime you do all you can, and its just not enough. Im proud of you. YOur a wonderful person and you care SOOOOOO much about everything. Its an awesome trait to have. I wish i was there to give you a big hug, but the smilie will have to do for now.

tpl*co
02-23-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm so sorry Marie {{{hug}}} Just think he's/she's in fishy heaven right now.

Tina

pcsb23
02-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Marie,

Words cannot always ease the pain. I know how it feels. Takes a strong person to make the right decisions, even when they know they'll hurt afterwards.

Paul.

wolfbane
02-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Marie, You OK girl? I know its hard, been there too, but its the last mercy we can give an ailing pet. Goodness knows you worked hard on him, trying to help.

Just sit awhile and enjoy the others now, they shine like stars in the sky, right?

Bless the beasts and the children Lord.

Debbie

Doug A
02-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Marie. :(
Like everyone else has said, it's never an easy thing to do and enjoy the ones you have. It's something we all have to go thru at one point in time.

Now give the rest of your fish their favorite food. Grab yourself a glass of wine, beer, or whatever your poison. Kick back in front of your tanks and drink a toast to the little guy, and watch them swim.

Doug http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_8_36.gif

Ardan
02-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Sorry Marie. You gave it a good try!:)
Ardan

Vince+Carrie
02-23-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm so sorry your little guy didn't make it. In some ways, I'm glad our sick one died before I had to make such a hard choice. I don't know if I could have handled it :(

You tried your best, and that's all we can do. Just focus on your other fish, and what a good job you are doing with them :)

GulfCoastDiscus
02-24-2006, 12:37 AM
So sorry Marie. No worries give me a holla and I will send you some replacements. I have some pure Goldens (no PB) I bred if you're interested.

dan

Kindredspirit
02-24-2006, 02:05 AM
Thanks Guys~ I cried all over again reading everyone's replies! Jack....What can I say? I knew you would not give us a speech~

But you know how I feel~

Jarrod, Barb, Tina, Candy, Deb, Doug, Vince & Carrie, Paul, Chris, Marilyn, Mike....thanks so much~

And Now...Daniel~

Your offer was way cool ~ as was your phone call to me ....I adore you! ( And YES...I do know everything ) What you have offered, *******... I shall seriously consider.....

ronman
02-24-2006, 03:33 AM
So sorry about your loss Marie. I guess it's better to get it over and done with. You have to start culling fish sooner or later.

CAGE-RATTLER
02-24-2006, 04:36 AM
Sorry for your loss marie ........... that had to be a tough decision for you.

anne
02-24-2006, 04:43 AM
Marie, thats really hard for you. I'm a newbie but have "lurked" and read your posts... am really sorry.

Kindredspirit
02-24-2006, 05:24 AM
So sorry about your loss Marie. I guess it's better to get it over and done with. You have to start culling fish sooner or later.

Ya know Ron~

When I woke up that morning, I thought the exact same thing I swear~

You have to cull sooner or later ~ just deal ~

Still tho ~

( Nice fish that Jason has, Ron....really, nice)

Kindredspirit
02-24-2006, 05:28 AM
Cage~ Thanks....a lot~

Anne ~ I appreciate it, thank you ~ I have read some of your posts as well ~ I hope things are going well?

JMArtist
02-24-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm sorry to hear this Marie.
We spoke about this already, I'm sure you did everything you could.
Sometimes it's just better this way.
I know you've been asking such questions on the boards as to "when to cull" and "how long to wait"
There are no real answer for those questions, you just know when it's time.
You know that I know exactly how you feel, having lost a few fish myself recently.
Nobody is perfect, some things are just futile and the decision to put down another creature is hard, even when it's a fish.
Because a life is a life is a life. And that moment when they die is a reminder to us all, that is our moment also someday.
But it is kinder to end their pain then to prolong it with no hope or recovery.
You'll be fine, now you'll be able to concentrate on the healthy fish you have and be able to enjoy them better.

Kindredspirit
02-24-2006, 10:26 AM
OKay.....What have you done with my REAL JOHN?

Thanks, Babe....that was very nice~http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_4_112.gif

KGTIII
02-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Sooo Sorry Marie:o Been there and it's a really hard thing to do for people who have huge tender hearts! (ME:o and You:o )
I have had a few Discus that were like puppies or dogs in water and I lost my favorite. sucked wind!
I am just coming off of 10 days straight at work... Give me a call.... I will Hug you long distance... Keep your smile.:D
Adore ya later
Karen

mench
02-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Culling is harder for the folks that only have a few fish,I guess....I guess I had hard hearted cuz I throw away fish all the time..I keep a couple of stunted guys as test fish for new tanks,but any that don't grow the way I think go into the freezer...But like I say,if ya only have a few,you get attached...I on the other hand have gone through so many plagues and lost soooooooo many fish that tossing one or two or three doesn't bother me any more.
Sorry

Mench

Kindredspirit
02-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Well~

Mench...thank you for sharing your experiences ~ I certainly hope I will not have to 'throw fish away all the time' as I will surely not be in this hobby anymore ~

Ya think?

I have heard before tho, exactly of which you speak and I do appreciate more insight!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_139.gif