PDA

View Full Version : Discus fly, slightly under a dime size

Tek
02-23-2006, 08:29 PM
My friend going to give away 3 weeks dicuss fly. I just wonder don't they need specific pH, and food? and how easy to keep them?

pcsb23
02-24-2006, 06:56 PM
tek, forgive me, I think you mean discus fry?? If so 3 week old fry will eat baby brine shrimp or specific dry baby food. Normal decent discus water will be fine, don't worry about ph. They will be a challenge as they are fragile at that age and can be susceptible to many diseases. Being brutally honest their chances won't be good.

Paul.

AmberC
02-25-2006, 09:42 AM
tek, forgive me, I think you mean discus fry??

I was a little confused there for a minute! I wouldn't recommend getting the fry if you have never done discus before. If you want to try discus.. maybe find some that are a bit bigger already from a good breeder. I would definitely read around this site first too and get all the knowledge you can before going into it! You can learn a lot here!
Amber

Willie
02-25-2006, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't take discus fry that young until the breeder has weaned them off baby brine shrimp onto beefheart. Even then, anticipate heavy losses.

Willie

Greg Richardson
02-25-2006, 02:34 PM
At 3 weeks they should be on BH already, if not, start it.
Take BH using a cheese grater and lightly grate.
Then skake grater off in the water at end.

Another food I like is taking different flakes, tetrabits, grind them up into a powder.
It works well.

Yes, u might lose a few at start.
But I think it's worth a try.
Experience is how u grow.

Just remember, aged water, same temp, same ph every wc as close as u can.

Don't worry about PH being this or that.

If his PH is way different then yours only then u might consider taking some of his water at start. Go half his and half yours at transfer time.

Next wc all yours.