PDA

View Full Version : Possible Causes of Breathing Problems

Ardan
02-26-2006, 06:19 AM
Possible Causes of Breathing Problems
If the fish is breathing rapidly and it is not do to stress or fright,
then it is possible that not enough oxygen is reaching the
bloodstream. Some of the possible causes are as follows.
1. possible ammonia or nitrite in the water, test them, if high, do
a water change with "good water", check filters to make sure all pickup tubes are open, not pinched and that impellers are working.
2. Is the temperature high? Oxygen levels are lower in higher
temperatures.
3. Is the fish scraping against objects?(flashing) This may
indicate a parasite on the gills, possibly flukes
4. Are they only using one gill? This often indicates gill flukes.
5. Have you added medication recently? Formalin and formalin
based products (rid ich, quick cure etc) depletes oxygen in the
water. Add aeration/turbulence.
6. PH Shock. Has the ph changed dramatically (maybe after a
water change)?Is the ph stable? (does it change when tested
at the tap compared to 24 hours later in a bucket?) IF the ph
has changed dramatically, move the fish to better water or do a
water change with good water.
7.Did you just do a water change? Is the fish hanging below
the water surface or near the filter? Is the fish lying on the
bottom of the tank? If so, there is possible a toxin in the water
(or ph shock).
A. Use a dechlorinator/chloramine detoxifier (like prime)
B. Do a water change with good water (stable ph, ph same as
what the fish is used to, and no chlorine, no ammonia, no
nitrite)
C. Move the fish to good water. (another aquarium, or into a
bucket of good water from another aquarium or "good water"
from the water source)
8. Is the fish darting about the tank? If you just added
medication, this may indicate a medication intolerance. Move
the fish to new water or do a water change. (50% or more if
necessary)
9. Bacterial or fungal gill disease. Are the gill filaments hanging
out from behind the gill plates? Do they have white strands or
cottony growth on them?
10. Added by Dissident: :)
Are discus hanging near the bottom very slow breathing, and lathargic?
-Possible CO2 Toxic Shock
+Turn of CO2 injection system and airate water to remove excess CO2, this will cause PH to jump back up. Up swing is easier for the fish than the Ph swing down. Monitor Ph and Kh to determine CO2 levels.

hth
Ardan

AmberC
02-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Good post Ardan!
Amber

Ardan
02-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Thank you:)
Ardan

tribalmush
03-29-2006, 12:05 AM
The only thing that is unclear atleast to me is;

9. Bacterial or fungal gill disease. Are the gill filaments hanging
cottony growth on them?
hth
Ardan

Is the answer to this riddle hth? does that mean hole in the head ? Please explain, thanks!

Ardan
03-29-2006, 06:49 AM
hth just means " hope this helps"

the other things listed are just signs or symptoms of a possible problem.

Ardan

Jarrod
03-29-2006, 07:08 AM
Excellent post Ardan!..
Jarrod

Ardan
03-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks Jarrod:)
Ardan

Dissident
03-29-2006, 09:15 PM
1: Are discus hanging near the bottom very slow breathing, and lathargic?
-Possible CO2 Toxic Shock
+Turn of CO2 injection system and airate water to remove excess CO2, this will cause PH to jump back up. Up swing is easier for the fish than the Ph swing down. Monitor Ph and Kh to determine CO2 levels.

If you want to add this to your orgional post and delete this post i won't hold it against you ;)

Ardan
03-30-2006, 06:10 AM
Good points! I won't delete your post though:)
I will add it in.

Thanks
Ardan

Kindredspirit
03-30-2006, 06:46 AM
Hey Ardan ~ You must live, eat, and breath information! You work so hard on Sd and Sc, I swear ~

This was very informative ~ I learn so much from you on a continuing basis~I wanted to say also that the way you title each thread, makes it easier for one to find what they seek ~ as opposed to searching this entire forum!

Your A Good Man Charlie Brown ~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Ardan
03-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks Marie:)
I try to pass on what I learn, but its great when I learn something new too. And I really like it when members can add something or maybe an experience of theirs:)
I remember before the internet, how difficult it was to learn things, try to find the right book.....
But since the internet and good people helping me, I figure I can help others too by using the internet and these sites:)
Ardan

Jarrod
03-30-2006, 08:32 PM
I have to put my 2 cents in here as well...Marie you said exactly what I have been thinking since I first found this this forum and started reading the posts..
Ardan is without a doubt in my mind is SIMPLY amazing!:) :D That man (at least I'm assuming Ardan is male lol) has given answers to alot of my questions that I had and didn't get the chance to ask! All just by answering someones question in a way and with info above and beyond what was asked. That in itself is is priceless IMHO... so Ardan I just wish to publicly say THANK YOU for the soooo extensive amount of help and information and help that you give so willingly and often. And Marie I want to thank you as well for that post and bringing this subject up...for it is something that I feel should be addressed and not only for Ardan but for all the Mods and staff of Simply for without them and all the other members us newbies would wind up hiding in the corner or lying flat on the bottom...Thank you again both of you and to all the Mods and members who make this forum what it is and that being a place of friendship,fellowshipa and a place to help each of us feed and make our addiction one of joy and happiness. All of this long rambling post truly comes from the heart and is just how I feel about you all. Thank you again for everything. For IMHO you are all :angel:
Jarrod

Doug A
03-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Marie and Jarrod said it better that I could have.

Your a good man Ardan!!! Lots of helpful info.

Ardan
03-31-2006, 06:32 AM
Thanks Doug and Jarrod:)
Ardan

aussiejas
08-13-2006, 05:25 AM
cheers for tha info ardan. one thing i have to ask, if ive just treated for internal parasite is it to much for my discus to treat for gill flukes straight after or should i leave for a couple of days? (im very new to keeping discus)

Crackinspine
08-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Tons of thanks from India as well ARDAN!!!

I lost six beautiful fish today because of a temperature spike[SOB]. My 300 Cal Rena lost control and heated the tank to a 45 degrees C. I noticed a fatigue amongst the fish. All that died showed symptoms similar to the dreaded swim bladder problem. I am amazed how the rest survived? Fishes that ate a lot lost some weight but are allright. I have species only tanks and I should reckon never trust electronics for doin a mans job.

Again Arden, if you require any assistance from the Indian subcontinent, I would be very delighted and as much interested!!!

pipozzz
08-24-2009, 11:46 AM
I think this is a Great information because my tank was great till this weekend i changed my gravel and when i did that i used a rag i had laying around the house and my wife after all was said and done told me it might have been used with comet and ever since then they have been swimming low and high weak as well. so i put them in a 35 gallon q tank and will be chaning the water 80 percent again today, thx. will keep u posted.:bandana:

pipozzz
08-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Bacterial or fungal gill disease. Are the gill filaments hanging
cottony growth on them?

WHAT DO I DO IF ONE OF THE DISCUS HAVE COTTON GROWTH ON HIS TAIL UPPER AND LOWER FINS? WHAT IS BEST I NEED TO KNOW SOON IM GOING TO THE PET STORE NOW, IVE TRIED THE 50 % WATER CHANGE FOR THE LAST 2 DAYS PLUS SOME AQUARIUM SALT AND EVEN A PARASITE CLEAR TABS? WATER TEMPS OK 84 AND NO SPIKE IN THE PH LEVELS, ALL :angel:ELSE IS 0PPM.

pipozzz
08-24-2009, 04:04 PM
i have something else all this info is great but how about the remedies? im a Newbie but thats why im asking this thx again for any response.:angel:

Ardan
08-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Remedies depend on the problem and are sometimes difficult to chose the correct remedy.

If this fungus/fin rot is progressively getting worse and you are certain it is not a water problem, then an antibiotic may be necessary. Choosing the proper one is difficult without lab work.

Furan 2 may help, or maracyn 1 and 2

hth
Ardan

dalton smith
04-09-2010, 01:18 PM
hi . discus fish.. are just swimming on the surface of the tank .. they have not been eating for the past 3 days .. i have added epsom salt. as one of them have a bloated tummy..tank size is 5ft in length.18 inch in height and 18 in width please help what do i do

Sivasama
05-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Bacterial or fungal gill disease. Are the gill filaments hanging
cottony growth.

I had this happen with a few of my fish. All fish are breathing well again but a few still have some of the filament visible. It isn't as visible as it was but still there. Will this go away with time or is this permanent damage?

smoak99
11-03-2010, 10:23 PM
hi,
i am from india and my fish has some kind of mark on sides and he is lying at the bottom of the tank

can u suggest me some medicines :confused:

Eddie
11-04-2010, 05:55 AM
hi,
i am from india and my fish has some kind of mark on sides and he is lying at the bottom of the tank

can u suggest me some medicines :confused:

You may want to begin a thread with your current situation.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=38545

sharonbaker
06-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Very nice post....
Thanks

jacksonema
01-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Nice information. Thanks for sharing.

Mikemeets
06-21-2014, 02:05 AM
How can i treat my discus if their filament is hanging out the back of their gills?

chris jennings
06-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Wow nice answer ardan.Very good description.

Mikemeets
06-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Are the gill filaments hanging
out from behind the gill plates?

My 1 fish is showing that... what could it be?