PDA

View Full Version : How much traffic is high for discus?

Sergey
02-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi All,

How much foot traffic is high for discus? I'm not talking subway token booth high :), but if at certain times of day there's somebody walking by every minute, is that high?

TIA,
Sergey.

BIGFOOT
02-27-2006, 12:44 PM
I say that any fish will get used to what ever is your normal routine is.

White Worm
02-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Mine are in living room, bedroom, wherever. Last thing you want is to get them used to you tip toeing around them. They get used to your schedule. I tap the tank lid when I feed just so they dont get spooked from noises. They watch us vacuum and some watch tv. I have seen people put their breeders out of traffic when they want fry and they want the parents to concentrate on breeding. Up high, low lighting and little traffic. The more they see you, the more they are calm when you come to the tank and always approach with food and they will really get excited instead of scared when you approach. They are very curious animals and are most times more interested in whats going on outside their tank than what is going on inside. Thats why you give breeders alone time.

Sergey
02-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks, guys, I pretty much figured the same. We have the kid's tank of platies in a busy room and all they do is beg for food when someone is around or don't give a damn if they are full. Which is a rare occasion :)
Just wondering if discus are special and where that rule of no high traffic came from.

Thanks,
Sergey.

AADiscus
02-27-2006, 01:26 PM
We have some grow out tanks that are not in the fish room. We have ALOT of traffic in the room they are in. They really like the traffic. Always coming up to the front to see what is going on. lol

Suzanne
02-27-2006, 02:34 PM
My experience is that you have to acclimate them to a busy environment.
When buying from breeders the discus are accustomed to a quieter environment and because there are many tanks to care for - they're not accustomed to quite as much attention as the "pet owner" will give them.
There is an adjustment time - keep the lighting low - and be patient but persistent -

DarkDiscus
02-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Except for breeding, the more traffic the better, in my opinion. I have my tank in my living room and it's right by the kitchen door. So we're walking by it all the time. The fish are friendly and happy.

For breeding, I feel most fish prefer to feel more secluded.

John

Westie
02-27-2006, 03:16 PM
I have yet to see a Discus not love attention. They are curious and enjoy the imput of people going buy. It gives them that,"buy me" look you see at LFS'.

II j L c II
02-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Like Mikscus, I tap the hood as well. I find that they tend to learn to get less timid and jittery when introduced to high periods of noise. You'll see them actually confront you with due time because they think it's feeding time.

Jon