PDA

View Full Version : TORNADOES in CALI!! Power out....

Kindredspirit
02-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Hey guys~

I do not know how long I am going to be on line here as we are getting slammed with hail and tornado warnings if you can believe that! In Sacramento! Tina?? Watching the news? Mike it is headed for Elk Grove and Sac...right thru Vacaville~I hate wind soooo much esp at night....

My question.... is last night we had winds up to 100mph and we lost power for over two hours...Amber and I put blankets on all the tanks as I remember what April and Jack told me before...

I was worried tho if the power came back on and we were sleeping, are the tanks then going to over heat? Is this someth

uh O

mikechen
02-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Marie:
I hope everything is alright. Best wishes.

DarkDiscus
02-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Marie,

The tanks are NOT going to overheat quickly if power comes back on. Don't worry about that. Just keep 'em insulated.

John

tpl*co
02-28-2006, 02:11 PM
We had our lights flicker last night but no real outages, that wind sounded awful last night though! I just got back from walking to Starbucks (at work) it is starting to come down and I hear the thunder. Really dark outside the window too.

Tina

AmberC
02-28-2006, 02:32 PM
OY. Good luck you guys! I hope you dont loose power! Or if you do, not for too long!
Amber

Jarrod
02-28-2006, 02:55 PM
I hope all is ok down there in Cali.!! one good thing it's not an earthquake upsetting everythiing and seriously destoying stuff! I sure hope all come thru it ok for you all down there.
Best of luck to you all!!
Jarrod

thang45
02-28-2006, 02:58 PM
Almost two years ago in Toronto we lost power for more than 24 hrs. Luckily we had a UPS backup for the heater and air pump. If you live in an area that power source that is not stable, maybe you should think of getting a UPS.

I hope you guys are ok.

tpl*co
02-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks Thang45. When we do get a "tornado" it's nothing like the ones in the midwest, God, I don't know how you guys that live in Tornado alley can do it! We had some really dark clouds go buy downtown with thunder showers, no tornados that I've heard about touch down though. Marie, how are you doing?

Tina

White Worm
02-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I think mother nature is pissed right now or just cant make up her mind. Its raining, then sunny, then windy, then ..... This all happens hourly. As far as power and heat. Thats also why I went with that blue styro backing for the tank back, sides and bottom. Insulates well to keep heat in and looks good at the same time. I should have no problem if I lose power for a couple hours. Any more than that and then I would start to worry. I would worry more about air than heat though. They can handle some cool temps but oxygen is very important. Marie, if you have problems, just bring the bunch down and I will take care of them for ya. Vacaville doesnt seem to be getting blasted like Sac has lately. It must die a little when it his here. Lucky us. We are not even to the bad weather to come though so hang on. Theres more and worse this week they say. Mike

Kenny's Discus
02-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks for your blessing Jarrod. It was really bad last night here(Daly City) too as I was driving out to visit a breeder friend of mine and my car was literally slipping just driving straight ahead. Kinda scary you know lol.

Hope the weather will change soon for all living in CA...or anywhere else for that matter.

Have a nice and sunny day friends!

Kenny

Kindredspirit
02-28-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm alive I'm alive!! OMG! Ya know... it really isnt fair... cuz we have earthquakes here and when i worked at the Humane Society in the city, we always new when one was coming as all the hundreds of dogs in the back kennels would stop barking. On a dime ~ it got sooooooooo quiet, we would all look at each other and say ...."earthquake!!" And jam under our desks...

But tornados? Hell No! You sit and wait for it? This one was goin at 35mph...I do not know if that is fast...but the hail came, lighting, I thought I was in Twister! ****-ums! Doppler on the news was PURPLE? I have seen red and orange but PURPLE? umm...no...They went on to say if you are driving stop and find a ditch, at home go into your closets or the back of the house..? Soooo....four 200lb dogs, 15 fish and four cats, and three kids? They said 'this is no joke, this is serious, folks..' Ya think?
'

I did not cry~ almost~ but I am woman!! lol! The sun is out now but they said do not trust it cuz more is coming~

Thanks guys! The sun is gone ...again...oh dear..I have some questions if i may ...

If the power comes and goes, should I just leave all my filters off? I have like 8 or 9...last night I was worried if the power came back on they wouldnt be filled with water and run then burn out? And there was one that didnt start back up but was running... Am I making any sense? Someone speaks 'Marie' out there I know! lol! I am working at my other job tonight and it will be a long evening, should I just turn off the filters in case power goes out? And cover all tanks too just in case?

Tina, Mike....you are right, there is more...and MIKEY....i know where you were ....while I almost was sucked up by this tornado!!! Thatz messed up! lol!

John... tanks will not over heat....I knew that. I did...

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_2_10.gif

White Worm
02-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Vallejo....picking up new fishies...hehehehehe. 6 newbies added and yes they are doing happily in qt. Maybe 1-2 months then a little moving around. Adults females mostly but got a good male too. I will look at getting some breeder tanks set up very soon.

tpl*co
02-28-2006, 04:38 PM
When that big quake hit in the late 80's (was it 88?) I worked in Stockton (commuted from Sacramento). I couldn't get up to go to any part of the building since I kept being knocked back in my chair and I didn't want to go under the desk since my big steel desk was moving across the floor. Nothing I could do but ride it out. That's why I laugh sometimes at that "What to do in case of an earthquake..." instructions.

Tina

Kenny's Discus
02-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Tina - that was in 1989...and I was at Fishermen's Wharf when it hit.

Kenny

wolfbane
02-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Wow! We never had a tornado when I lived in Calif., earthquakes but no twisters!!
Here in Texas we are in the violent weather season. It runs from November to June. Then we have Hurricane season from June to November.Lol!!!!

tpl*co
02-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Wow Wolfbane, no wonder you Texans are so tough! ;) :D

Kindredspirit
02-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Tina - that was in 1989...and I was in Fishermen's Wharf when it hit.

Kenny

You don't even wanna know where I was.....

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/1/1_4_36.gif

Mr. Limpet
02-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Marie,
If you are really worried about the power coming back on and you not knowing it, just leave your Bedroom light switch on and turn your radio on real loud.

I think you worry too much.:)

Take care,

Paul.

azureoval
03-01-2006, 12:49 AM
Hey Marie,
Thats so fuuny you brought this up. I was in walnut grove today at a gas station when the phone rang. Then attendant doesn't speak english well so for some reason he hands me the phone. I said hello and the person said "Hi this is so and so from channel 13 , there is a really bad storm headed towards you, what do you see. And by the way watch out for tornadoes. " It was a little wierd.
When I came home today my power to my tank was off. The power had gone out multiple times and I think It tripped my GFCI outlet. My water temp was still warm and the water was clear so I lucked out that I didn't get home late. Wacky wacky weather.
Josh from north sac

Westie
03-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Has no one seen their tank bounce during an earthquake? Sheesh!:confused:

Jarrod
03-01-2006, 08:33 AM
When that big quake hit in the late 80's (was it 88?) I worked in Stockton (commuted from Sacramento). I couldn't get up to go to any part of the building since I kept being knocked back in my chair and I didn't want to go under the desk since my big steel desk was moving across the floor. Nothing I could do but ride it out. That's why I laugh sometimes at that "What to do in case of an earthquake..." instructions.

Tina

Tina..it was the 89 Loma Prieta quake..it destroyed my house I was living in in Watsonville. An old 2 story 115 yr old farm house..took it off the foundation and split the lower floor away from the upper sectio...the ault line ran right thru the hills in front of my house maybe a mile away from it...was a major pain when I got home and found it ( I was driving truck at the time and was in KFalls OR when it hit)...I'm just glad everyone down there now is ok and hope no one had anything majorly bad happen.
Jarrod

Jarrod
03-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks for your blessing Jarrod. It was really bad last night here(Daly City) too as I was driving out to visit a breeder friend of mine and my car was literally slipping just driving straight ahead. Kinda scary you know lol.

Hope the weather will change soon for all living in CA...or anywhere else for that matter.

Have a nice and sunny day friends!

Kenny

Kenny I'm really glad you're ok!...and I do know how scary it can be..I drove thru a tornado in Indiana once when I was running long haul...no fun at all!! I had no place I could just pull over and stop....so had to keep going and get to truck stop and try and find a parking spot in it...no fun at all!
Jarrod

Spices
03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Glad to know you folks survived the tornadic storms. It is incredible. One year we had one. Late in the summer. It was incredible. Not big but had enough smack to toss folks 40-gallon rubbermaid garbage (with garbage in it) around, and trees as old as 50 years old uprooted and died.

It reminds me of the movie "The Day After Tomorrow," with the tornadic storms in the West coast and the frost here in East coast. You know, I can actually see this happening. It has been very cold here with full sun exposure and with fresh waters (up north) containing more salt (blending). It's just all so weird.

**Angie**

Kindredspirit
03-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Marie,
If you are really worried about the power coming back on and you not knowing it, just leave your Bedroom light switch on and turn your radio on real loud.

I think you worry too much.:)

Take care,

Paul.

Ya think? I think I was more concerned with the fact if I was at work....and not here.......

Hey, You think I worry too much? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_4_169.gif And........your point is?? I have gotten muchbetterthankyouverymuch!!!

Haven't I , guys???

pcsb23
03-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Ya think? I think I was more concerned with the fact if I was at work....and not here.......

Hey, You think I worry too much? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_4_169.gif And........your point is?? I have gotten muchbetterthankyouverymuch!!!

Haven't I , guys???

Er, No.

Kindredspirit
03-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Er, No.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_115.gif

( who stole your cookie, Paul?)

Mr. Limpet
03-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Marie,
The lights were for when you were home, the radio was for when you were at work. It would have to be really loud though!
Sometimes I don't understand the question.
Then I should just keep my mouth shut, except you don;t knbow that you
don't understand until you have already opened your mouth.
I better quit before I get in deeper.

Paul.

White Worm
03-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Uh, NO! LOL. 2 VOTES NO

Haven't I , guys???

Kindredspirit
03-01-2006, 04:14 PM
Marie,
The lights were for when you were home, the radio was for when you were at work. It would have to be really loud though!

Paul.

I thought Mr. Limpet Passed? LOL! Itz all good, Paul~

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_3_128.gif

Kindredspirit
03-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Uh, NO! LOL. 2 VOTES NO

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_29_102.gif

umm....I so need some help here ...... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_8.gif

CliffsDiscus
03-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Marie,

Paul.

Hi Paul,
I see you are alive and doing well!

Cliff

traco
03-01-2006, 08:12 PM
I was worried about my canister filter and bacteria dying in a closed system a lot faster than say, a sponge filter, so I took the canister off my discus tank and have anAqua Clear and 3 sponge filters. I was also worried about the filters not starting back up when the power came back on, but have not had that problem. I found the only time they are picky about starting back up is if you lose the prime (which happens when I do a huge water change, exposing the intake tube).

Is the hang on back filter you were worried about? Not the air pumps, right? Do you have check valves on your air pumps as the line will bleed water back down to air pump if not?