PDA

View Full Version : Black blue diamond

dtownkennel
02-28-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi all,

I have a blue diamond that has turned blue to black in about a week. It still eats but has all of its fins split. I've treated with metro but seems to be a different problem. Should i treat with formiln??? any help would be appreciated

RyanH
02-28-2006, 10:41 PM
It doesn't sound like hex to me...:(

Have your water parameters changed? A possible drop in pH?

Have you checked for ammonia or nitrite? Could something have killed off your biofilter?

Terrybo
02-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Is the fish sloughing it's slime coat? It could be columnaris. You can read about columnaris in the Disease section of the SimplyDiscus library. If it is that, you can treat with cooler temperatures, decrease your PH, add salt, and Furan 2 is a good antibiotic for it. The article in the disease section of the library recommends Potassium Permanganate as a dip and tank treatment. http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/external/columnaris.shtml

If only one discus in a tank is effected, I would not think it is columnaris. In my experience, Columnaris is very contagious, so all the discus in the tank would have the same symptoms.

Mack
02-28-2006, 11:22 PM
I've had problems with gill flukes in blue diamonds...I don't know a whole lot about gill flukes, but I assumed that they only get them at a young age...I have some 2-3" bd that are turning dark, fins don't look bad, but you can tell the gills are pumping harder than usual...sounds like you got my problem!

dtownkennel
02-28-2006, 11:29 PM
My water parameters are still the same...i have 5 more discus in a 30gal tank which are all fine. It is sloughing it's slime coat though. I'll try a little salt to see if it helps a bit and ill try furan 2.