View Full Version : White Sand

MDG
03-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Hi! Kelly & Dennis referred me to this site - which I met at the Raleigh fish workshops. Picked up my first discus there. I'm new to keeping Discus but not to the fish hobby.

I've been reading around for the last few days and have seen that Discus seem to get brighter when they are in a light colored environment - some have used what they are calling white sand.

In the past I've used pool filter sand that is light in color but not quite a pure white. Is there a sand that is pure white?

cobaltblue
03-03-2006, 02:02 AM
I use silica sand, which is almost a pure white, but off slightly. Looks great IMO.

MDG
03-03-2006, 02:29 AM
Where did you find the silica sand? Is there an online supplier?

cobaltblue
03-03-2006, 02:44 AM
i actually got mine from a my local fish store. Cant remember the company, but it wasnt one that i recognized. It wasnt an actual aquarium sand like seachem or coral sea.

Kindredspirit
03-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Welcome to Simply!! I just added sand too! Huh Chris??? lol!!! I use Dolemite and it is snow white!! I love it too ~

I have some posts re the sand !:angel:

Doug A
03-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Marie,

If you are using Dolomite sand, you might want to watch your ph, GH, and KH very closely.

Kindredspirit
03-03-2006, 08:59 AM
oh OOPS!-tums Doug ~ no ~

Now I asked about that at this lfs ~ they are so nice ~ have been in business like 27 years, Mom and Pop type ~ They said that this sand is the best... i know i know.....of course they want returning customers and they are not gonna say: "marie this sand sux" ~

Douggggggggggggggg! I will test today....something you would see right away or gradually? Or........if not soon, then never??? Please?? lol!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/39/39_5_4.gif

Edited to remove profanity...

Doug A
03-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Marie,

Dolomite sand is/was used in saltwater setups. I remember from my early days of saltwater tanks that dolomite gravel was used with UG filters to help buffer the Ph. It will leach minerals (magnesium, calcium, etc...) into the water.
I don't know at what speed it will release them. Since the sand is just sitting on the bottom and the water is not flowing thru, it may release very slowly. If you have soft, acidic water it would happen a bit quicker.

For freshwater tanks, silica or quartz sand is safe to use. Crushed coral, Dolomite, and Aragonite sand shouldn't be used in freshwater, except for African Cichlids or other fish that require alkaline water.

Kindredspirit
03-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Okay ~

I trust your opinion, Doug ~ Very much ~ I did some reading on line and you are right in that Dolomite is used in Marine tanks...i could not find any info on NOT using it in freshwater tho ~

Doug, I checked my ph and it was 7.6....which all my tanks seem never to ever leave that reading ~

Should I take that sand out? I only have less than an inch in the tank.....

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_140.gif

Harriett
03-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Hi, all
I've been off the formum for about 18 months and decided to stop in and look around. You can buy bagged pure silica sand (white) at any pool supply store--it's WAY cheaper than a pet shop and it's very clean.
Best regards,
Harriett

Kindredspirit
03-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Harriett! Welcome back!

I just called like 13 pool/spa supply places here in Sacramento, and not one....not one has white sand!! Soooooooo I am done with that route!

But thank you very much !!!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Bainbridge Mike
03-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Building supply places frequently sell silica sand--it can be used for sand-blasting and other stuff.

Mike

MDG
03-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the replys!
I'll call around to some pool and building places tomorrow.
Home Depot here has pool filter sand but it's not really white ... more light tan color - it'll be a good backup if I can't find the white.

tiara1018
04-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Go to home depot or lowes!!! They sell 100 lb. begs for $6.00!!! It is back by the lumber usually.....just ask up front and they will tell you. (by the way this is my first post :).....I'm sure the first of many many more ;)

Tiara
(addicted to discus already!!)

AmazonRainbows
04-29-2006, 02:30 PM
I buy the white sand from HAgen Ecco System. It first come very bright but slowly loosing is brightness. People who see white sand in my thank usely love it, so do I. 29$ CAN/2 Kilo. Need 3 bags to cover the bottom (28X24) at one inch.

gators111
05-05-2006, 04:26 PM
There is a company that sells 5lb. bags of pure white silica sand. Unfortunately, I cannot remember their name off hand, but I'll be going by my LFS and check the name. They also sell blue, red clay, black, brown, green, and light orange colored sand. I have the black sand in my 5 gallon. It is very fine and easily vacuumed out of the tank. Also, when rinsing it out after buying about a pound is lost. But it is very pretty.