PDA

View Full Version : The first thing to check with sick fish

Ardan
03-03-2006, 07:20 PM
First thing to check with sick fish.
Check the water. It is the fishes environment and is in contact with the fish and is used by the fish for oxygen exchange in the gills.
A. did you just do a water change? It could be something in the water = chlorine, chloramine, ammonia, nitrite, chemicals added by the city water department due to a water main break.
B. is there ammonia or nitrite in the water from an inadequete biological filter? test ammonia and nitrite, if there is some, do a water change
C. Is the ph stable? Test the kh of the water (carbonate hardness) If the kh is low, then ph will be less stable.
D. Does the tap water used for water changes have a stable ph? You can take some water, test the ph. Let it sit in a cup overnight and retest the ph. If it remains the same, then it is stable. If it is not the same, it is unstable and will not be good for the fish tank. If it is not stable, then the water must be "aged" in a bucket overnight with an airstone or pump circulation to allow the ph to stabilize.
E. Nitrate is the 3rd phase of the biological cycle after ammonia and nitrite. Nitrate has different effects on different fish, but is thought to have adverse effects on all fish at higher concetrations. For example, discus are best kept in low nitrate levels, most agree at less than 20 ppm or even under 10 ppm.
Other fish can tolerate higher levels. Plants will remove nitrate as will anaerobic bacteria. (bacteria that don't use oxygen)
The best way to lower nitrates in my opinion is by doing water changes with stable water.
F. Check the filter to make sure it is operating properly, the impeller is working and water is flowing. Check for kinks in lines or clogs in hoses (canisters)
I hope this helps
Ardan

Kindredspirit
03-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Great advice, Ardan ~ very informative esp for people like me!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_19_1.gif

Ardan
03-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks Marie:)
Glad it helps.

Ardan

Another good point to remember is if it happens in an emergency,
get the fish out and put them in good water, another aquarium or a bucket with good water.:)

Big blacky
09-05-2006, 10:34 AM
tanks for the comments, it's well done the advices putet in here, they will explaine lots of pepole whit questions, like me too. Very good the job. :) :) :)

pipozzz
08-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Ill Give this a try and see what happens thx. will keep u posted.:bandana:

lst2driver
10-02-2010, 01:40 PM
how do you check kh

Pody
10-08-2011, 11:41 AM
I am brand new and desperate. I have had my two discus for three years in a long 75 gal planted tank to which I introduced a new
discus and a school of rummynose tetras without quarantining. I have another 75 gal planted and added seven small discus to it- all from the same source.
Installed new plants to both tanks. About two weeks later, everything started crashing. The older discus were the first to show symptoms turning dark, white waxy substance on bodies, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, hiding. I will give more information if this post works. Yesterday I tried posting this and it wouldn't post. I am seriously untechy

Pody
10-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Here is my treatment so far: I started Monday in both tanks treating with Pima Fix and Mela Fix, following product directions. I installed bubblers and raised the temp to 84. I added salt (4 tablespoons). 25% water change every day. I condition my municipal water before adding it to the tanks.

This morning the babies are much better, they are swimming around and eating. The large ones, however, are not faring well- they have been sick the longest. I have separated the new one with a divider because he started picking on the big guys- he hasn't been as affected and is more mobile. The large ones are still not eating. One has started to swim around a little but flashing and darting, the largest one is in the corner and quivers every now and then. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated . There is so much conflicting information on the internet, and I lost faith in my pet store.
Today, both the large guys seem better- one more than the other.

TURQ64
10-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Sorry, but both those products are crap.Please fill this out completely, and repost. We'll try to get you fixed up...Gary

Pody
10-08-2011, 11:01 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
Several weeks ago I purchased 8 discus and 24 rummynose. Two weeks later, my adult discus turned dark and have stopped eating. Within 3 days, the small discus in the other tank turned dark, started hiding, and stopped eating.

2. Symptoms
turning dark, white waxy substance on bodies, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, hiding, lethargic.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
Pima Fix and Mela Fix, added salt, added airstone, and raised temp. Have been doing 25-30% water change daily for 6 days.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
75 gal 3 large discus, 30 rummynose tetras, a few corys, one betta
75 gal 7 small discus, 8 various tetras

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
Change 25% at least twice a week. Three years. Gravel. No.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp ___84__

- ph __6.5___

- ammonia reading __-__

- nitrite reading __-__

- nitrate reading __-__

- well water __-__

- municipal water __yes__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
yes, adult discus, and 7 small discus, 24 rummynose, yes, new plants

atitagain
10-08-2011, 11:08 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Tank/Water

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

- temp _____

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

TURQ64
10-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Sorry, the link must not have stuck when I posted ..Best be looking for some Malachite Green, but please do fill out the form...

Pody
10-08-2011, 11:50 PM
OK, thanks Gary, I filled it out as best as I could. I feel just awful because I didn't use a quarantine tank. Tomorrow I'll look for Malachite Green and a new water testing kit. Marc, thanks also for posting the form for me.

TURQ64
10-09-2011, 09:23 AM
I don't see the form posted. Start a thread with your topic, and begin it with the form filled out...

David1972
04-24-2012, 12:56 PM
One of my Discus fish seems to be sick. Here are my tank stats for water:

pH: 6.8-7.0
Amonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 35-40ppm (orange with API test tube test) even with daily partial water changes.
Water temp: 80-82 degrees

I have one discus fish that was my first about 2.5-3.0 inches and he is lethargic, doesn't seem to eat when I am around (before he used to eat from my hand). Usually stays in one spot. Has small white microscopic that seem to be air bubbles stuck to his skin, one fin seems to be corroded at the tip. In my tank I noticed small jelly like micro strands on the glass of my tank. I usually scrub them off with tank scraper. Anyway I am worried that he is going to die and have tried everything. Some recommended Vogle Alternative Fish Anti-biotic Treatment.

What I have been doing PWC's 17-18% daily with pretreated water I treated from my tap, with Seachem Prime and Seachem Discus Buffer to lower my tap pH to 6.8-7.0 from 7.4. Water is heated to 80 degrees.

This is my favorite fish and he is not himself anymore. I really want to save him. I have a smaller 7 gallon tank I can use as a "sick tank but am not sure how to get it started" Anyone that can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

My tap water pH is around 7.2. I pre-treat all water change with Seachem Discuss buffer to lower pH to around 6.8.

Eddie
04-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Save your money and toss out the discus buffer, its useless. The big thing is water stability and there is no need for chemicals. Your nitrates are pretty high, you'll want to bring those down A LOT. Big water changes, daily, with stable water parameters.

Ashley
12-13-2012, 09:58 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they star

I have five Discus, but I have had two longer than the others. At first these two seemed fine, but their coloring turned darker and they would hide and not eat. The larger of these two would have white patches on his body, clamp his fins, breath harshly, and dart. After removing him to my fathers 55 gallon tank with his little companion to my 10 gallon tank. They both seemed better and it took them a few weeks to lighten their coloring from a murky purple to showing off a few patterns and start eating. A few months later after it seemed that these two recovered I bought three more Discus and put them in the same tank. At the moment it seems that the two I have had the longest keep switching their coloring from showing patterns to a murky purple, but they are aggressive when it comes to eating. One of the newer Discus that I just obtained is showing the same signs as the other did. He`s hiding out in the back and I`m not sure if eats when I`m not around.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Turning dark, not eating, clamped fins, darting, and semi- harsh breathing

General Cure; 2 dosses lasts to 4 days and fifth day a 25% water change

Tank/Water

10 gallon, six months old, three 2-inch Discus, one 3-inch Discus, one 4-inch Discus and 2 very small angel fish and bristlenose plectosumus

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water

I do either a 25% -40% water change two times a week, been running for about six months, Has gravel, and no.

- temp ____82-84_

- ph _____6.4

- ammonia reading __8.0__

- municipal water __yes__

No

Eddie
12-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Ashley add this as a new thread in the disease section.