PDA

View Full Version : About all these colors

RobMc
03-07-2006, 01:13 PM
As a newbie crusing the web for discus, I must admit I'm blinded by all the colors available, which is nice thing in itself. I'm focusing in on some colors/varieties I especially like but find myself balking now that its time to order. I got to wondering, with all the differences in photography and reproduction of colors on the web, how can I make an informed choice? One breeder's 'red something' looks identical to another's 'something orange.' How blue is #1's 'blue this' versus #2's 'blue that'? Which is the nicer looking red, a red mellon or a red pigeon? Seems pretty subjective to me! What to do when you can't see the little guys in person?

Any thoughts?

Rob :confused:

White Worm
03-07-2006, 01:28 PM
First, do some reasearch into local breeders and see if you can purchase some quality from them. Nice to pick in person and get some good information from them. If they are doing it right, they should be able to help alot. If you decide to order sight unseen, you are always taking a chance because most pictures are of the best looking adults they have and that is not what you are getting. Some honest breeders will show you exactly what you are purchasing or will send pictures of what you are buying. Color selection is going to be up to you and your taste. In person is best but pictures is next best. Be careful before you order and do your research on the breeder.

nacra99
03-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Hi Rob!

Unfortunately, when it comes to discus, there is an abundance of names which breeders call their discus. Somebody's Red-something might well be the same strain as somebody's Orange-something, just that the different breeders call them different things (perhaps for marketability). Sometimes what the breeder feeds the fish can have effects on their color. For example feeding a White Diamond color bits will probably turn it pink.

As with any other animal, even within a particular strain, there will be different variations, for example blue #1 might be bluer that blue #2. Some people enjoy solid colored discus while others might prefer snakeskins... Ultimately color is a personal choice, and i agree, it is very subjective when it comes to personal taste in color. Unless you are trying to develop a certain strain or breeding a certain trait into your discus, the "Best" color is the color that you most enjoy :) .

But there are also standards for a "quality" discus which are not as subjective. Such as body shape, stunting, size of the eyes compared to body, whether they have pinched foreheads, uneven ventrals etc. These are mostly indicators of the health of the fish that you are purchacing. Obviously, most people want to purchace healthy fish.

I agree with Mike. When you buy online, you are always taking a chance with the breeder. The best thing you can do to minimize any undesirable outcomes is to do your research and ask people (perhaps in this forum?) about the different breeders and suppliers. Always purchase from a reputable breeder who is known for their good quality fish.

Cheers
Marc

AADiscus
03-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Hi Rob and welcome to Simply!

Browse the Sponsor section and see if any of the breeders are close to you. It's always nice to look at the different strains in person. If you do decide to order from some one online, have them send you recent pictures of the fish you are interested in. Also get a picture of the parents if you haven't already seen them. Make sure you tell the breeder exactly what you want and what you are looking for. Also, check with other people that have ordered from them (if possible) Simply uses iTrader (similar to ebay).

Try to stay away from buying discus at a lfs. 99% of the time these fish are sick, stunted and over priced and marked the wrong strain. IMO

Before purchasing any fish, may sure you have your tank cycled and ready to go for when your fish arrive. That can make a big difference. You can spend alot of money on really nice fish, but if your tank is not ready, you are gonna get discouraged if they are not happy.

Now, get to reading. lol

BIGFOOT
03-07-2006, 09:29 PM
RobMc

Thanks for posting this thread. I too have a tank fully cycled and ready for fish. Now it time to order the fish butt I find my self dragging my feet. Not sure who to order from online. And a local breeder is out of the question. Because quality was not even in the building.

White Worm
03-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Use the I Trader and look at all the sponsors. I have done some looking and I would go with Gold Mountain (Frank) I have seen nothing but him taking care of his customers with no questions asked. Most important, ask around and PM those that have actually purchased from a breeder and ask their honest opinion. Check more into local breeders because there are probably a few around, it just takes time to find em. I didnt know anyone or where to get em but now I know many breeders within 30-40 minutes from me. The worst thing you can do is start off with bad stock so do alot of research before you buy!!!! JMO, plus you can get better overall deal if you are not paying for shipping. Mike

BIGFOOT
03-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Use the I Trader and look at all the sponsors. I have done some looking and I would go with Gold Mountain (Frank) I have seen nothing but him taking care of his customers with no questions asked. Most important, ask around and PM those that have actually purchased from a breeder and ask their honest opinion. Check more into local breeders because there are probably a few around, it just takes time to find em. I didnt know anyone or where to get em but now I know many breeders within 30-40 minutes from me. The worst thing you can do is start off with bad stock so do alot of research before you buy!!!! JMO, plus you can get better overall deal if you are not paying for shipping. Mike

Hi Mike

I went to the I Trader and then went to find a seller. Under: WANT TO SELL: everybody had nothing at the monent. Does this mean they have nothing to sell?

White Worm
03-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Go to the sponsors section and look at the most current dated ones and read the threads. You will see current purchases from members here and be able to PM them. Plus you can directly contact some of the breeders and have them email you some pics of what you are buying and they have web sites you cam look at. Tell them what you are looking for and if they dont have it, good breeders wil refer you to someone that has what you are looking for. Otherwise, hang around and start paying attention to who lives in your area and see where they are getting their discus.

White Worm
03-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Try the community section also and see if there are hobbyists who are close to you.

BIGFOOT
03-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Will do Mikscus THANKS AGAIN!

White Worm
03-09-2006, 09:05 PM
No prob, I just wish everyone uses these tools before they go off and purchase whatever they can find like I did when I first started. There is enough info here for any novice to make a great start with great stock. I didnt know when I started and took the lfs word on how to care for discus. Well, things were bad enough to almost turn me away from discus until i stumbled upon this site. Keep us informed and use the feedback after a purchase. Feel free to praise a good breeder if you purchase from one. Mike