PDA

View Full Version : What % wld be GOOD ENOUGH to get by...

Kindredspirit
03-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Hey Guys~

What percentage wld be good ~ good enough ~ to get by on daily wc? I do 50% daily, but I am now wondering if I should do less ??

I know it depends on many things...so go on bb, semi adults , in general so to speak ~

I do use straight tap and add AquaSafe~

Thanks!!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_7_23.gif

traco
03-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Well, I was doing 50% water changes every 2 days till heater broke. Now I'm doing 25% every 2 days straight from the tap. They are skittish so I'm going to try 25% daily straight from the tap.

Lots of different scenarios I would imagine. Depends on the age, location, lots of variables.

goheel
03-08-2006, 12:12 AM
I do 20% daily, and my fish grow about .5 inch/month

Alight
03-08-2006, 03:53 PM
I let the nitrate levels decide the changes. When it gets to 10 ppm, I change 60-90 %, depending on the tank (60% for 55, more for 30s).

This works out to about every other day for the 55 grow out tank, and every third day for my fully planted showtank.

This method accounts for stocking levels. The higher the stocking level, the more often and the larger % changes.

My grow out fish grow 1 inch/month, until they reach 4 inches, then slow down a bit. The are 6+ inches by 9 months.

pcsb23
03-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Al,

I like the method in this, hadn't thought of it in these terms but seems to be a good measure to use, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the DOC's to go up inline with the nitrates to some degree.

Paul.

White Worm
03-08-2006, 07:02 PM
I use tap Marie and I have told you before but I do 30-50 every second or third day. I up it if I see any changes in parameters. I guess sorta like Al. I check and if I need to, I do larger changes. With tap I never do more than 50% at one time. I also dont like doing 50% back to back. I will do 50% then 2 days I will do 30% then back to 50%. My parameters always stay pretty close to 0 ammo,0 nites,0 nates (+- 5 nates). They eat like hogs and always happy to see me. Oh, note to whoever is reading. Dont use any algae rid because discus do not like it at all. It must reduce oxygen or something. Mike

ShinShin
03-08-2006, 07:58 PM
I don't know that you "should" do less, or even "ought" to do less. The question would be - could you do less? Why would you want to do less?

Mat

Kindredspirit
03-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Mat~

It is not that I want to do less ~ I do 50% daily now ~ but lately I have been reading that perhaps that is too much or that I shld cut down so I was put this out there in that I was curious to see how far one could fly below that proverbial radar without any problems or concerns ~

And I use tap ~

And okay... Could I do less? I have this one tank with Fireworks that are not doing well and have tried pretty much everything to nothing to time time time ~ So....it was suggested to cut back on wc and not daily ~

... and i have never been so confused and at a loss ~

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Kindredspirit
03-08-2006, 08:37 PM
I let the nitrate levels decide the changes. When it gets to 10 ppm, I change 60-90 %, depending on the tank (60% for 55, more for 30s).

This works out to about every other day for the 55 grow out tank, and every third day for my fully planted showtank.

This method accounts for stocking levels. The higher the stocking level, the more often and the larger % changes.

My grow out fish grow 1 inch/month, until they reach 4 inches, then slow down a bit. The are 6+ inches by 9 months.

Dayum, Al You never cease to amaze me ever ~ You certainly have this down ya think? Sooooooooo pop on over to Cali and teach me what you know ~ hands on ~

Six inches by nine months....that is so right on cuz the discus from Cary are nine months this month and are around 6'! Not bad , Sir...pretty impressive~

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

Alight
03-09-2006, 01:08 AM
One could always change the water more often than I do, but I don't have an automated water change system, and I do have a life. I've never had problems caused by water quality using the water change system I use (many years to back it up). If you have fewer fish, feed less than I do, or a really greedy nitrate eating bunch of plants, you might be able to change water less often than I do.

It can't hurt to change water more often and might be healthier, as long as the changing water is matched to your tank water.

Marie, if I were you, I'd start thinking about a holding tank and pump system. Utimately, it will actually be easier to maintain your fish if you have it (changing water with this system is easier than from the tap). Also, you're fish are getting to spawning age. And there is nothing like Discus with fry on their back. Well, maybe somethings are better, like the birth of my daughter, and climbing the Liberty Bell, but it's a pretty great thing to experience. The point is that you will probably want an RO unit to mix with your tap water to get good water for spawning and hatching discus, and you'll need a holding tank to do your RO/tap mixing, aerating and warming in.

Al

Kindredspirit
03-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Marie, if I were you, I'd start thinking about a holding tank and pump system. Utimately, it will actually be easier to maintain your fish if you have it (changing water with this system is easier than from the tap). Also, you're fish are getting to spawning age. And there is nothing like Discus with fry on their back. Well, maybe somethings are better, like the birth of my daughter, and climbing the Liberty Bell, but it's a pretty great thing to experience. The point is that you will probably want an RO unit to mix with your tap water to get good water for spawning and hatching discus, and you'll need a holding tank to do your RO/tap mixing, aerating and warming in.

Al

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_12_1.gif

korbi_doc
03-11-2006, 02:13 PM
:D Well, maybe I should check nitrates in my tanks, & I haven't done that in ages... after reading Willie's treatise on water changes, been doing 95%+, getting them laying over to the point of 45*angle, then refilling the tanks... seems the fish have gotten used to this & are not minding the extreme which surprises me. I do this change once a week, the tanks are understocked (8/125g +Cories, 8/90g+Cories, & 2/37+ plecos), BB, & the water is 100% R/O, reconstituted, aerated & heated, & none are juvies.... Since life lately is disjointed, it's a necessary way to go. I'm at home now, but soon will be packing to make a move, so it goes...Dottie :crazy: