PDA

View Full Version : Is the price outrageous??

Vince+Carrie
03-08-2006, 11:35 PM
One of the larger lfs in town just got in a tank full of 2" golden albino discus. They looked pretty nice, good shape, small eyes, all that.

But they were asking $500 per fish :confused:

I was shocked. That's an awful lot of money. Is that normal for those, or is this place just waaaay overpriced?

AmberC
03-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Umm.. my first impression would be WAY HELLA over priced!!! I've never seen one cost so much before! Did you ask them why they are selling them that high? Thats crazy!

Or am I off and thats normal lol
Amber

DiscusBob
03-08-2006, 11:40 PM
I don't care if the Discus has the American flag perfectly marked on its body, $500 is too much money for one fish.

Vince+Carrie
03-08-2006, 11:43 PM
That's what I thought too. It's awful here...if you find nice discus, they ask insane prices for them. I think that store is one of the only places in town that get nice discus in.

The other stores all get culls, you can tell. Chipped eyes, stunted, bad shape, you name it.

We'll have to look at ordering from one of the Canadian breeders I think.

April
03-08-2006, 11:45 PM
dont do it. if you want golden albinos..they can be gotten..for less..from good breeders im sure. thats ridiculous. im sure they were told they are the newest thing in town..and hard to come by.

DiscusBob
03-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Another thought: Are you/they sure the decimal was in the right place?

03-08-2006, 11:48 PM
If you pay that much for ANY discus than give me a call cause I've got some nice land down in Florida to sell ya!HA!

Vince+Carrie
03-08-2006, 11:56 PM
I couldn't possibly afford to pay that for ONE fish, even if I was crazy enough to consider it! The decimal is definitely in the right place....they regularly have several varieties of discus there that they sell for between $200 - $500.
I think the cheapest discus they had was $80

I don't know who is buying at that price....not us for sure :p

traco
03-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Wow, the most I've seen for a discus here is tops, $200.00!! Be interesting to see if any are sold.:o

Kindredspirit
03-09-2006, 12:41 AM
If you pay that much for ANY discus than give me a call cause I've got some nice land down in Florida to sell ya!HA!

You are too funny!! Vince & Carrie ~ I have Golden x Albino and I do not think they cost that much! $500- for one single fish?? How do they justify that??

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_12_1.gif

ronman
03-09-2006, 04:49 AM
There could be a gram or two of real solid gold in them. It would worth it's money in the gold itself and the albino is free.

Discusgeo2
03-09-2006, 05:06 AM
Vince+Carrie contact Frank at Gold Mt. Discus I am sure he has a few Golden Albinos for sale. I am pretty sure he ships to Canada also.
http://www.goldmountaindiscus.com/

Timbo
03-09-2006, 05:36 AM
yeah, i'd ask them how many they've sold at that price.

i think it would be cool if they sold lots at $500/ea because it would mean the (local) discus market will carry those kind of prices, but i highly doubt it

a knowledgeable buyer would laugh at those prices, but maybe they have a client or two that arent price sensitive (or knowledgeable)

AmberC
03-09-2006, 08:11 AM
the Discus has the American flag perfectly marked on its body

I think I'd like to see that! :p

Kindredspirit
03-09-2006, 10:46 AM
There could be a gram or two of real solid gold in them.

I would like to see this ^^http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_9_14.gif

Ryan
03-09-2006, 10:51 AM
The interesting question is... what do they do with them when they don't sell? Do they start getting stunted and sick in the store? And how much did the LFS pay a piece for each fish?

Kindredspirit
03-09-2006, 10:58 AM
....and ~ once they start looking like shyt, do they lower that ridiculous price?

Carrie & Vince....make a list of questions and go back!!! LOL!! Could be a great thread, guys!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_1_216.gif

White Worm
03-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Can you say "OUT OF YOUR FLIPIN MIND" for anyone to charge that for a fish? And then even more "OUT OF YOUR MIND" if anyone buys one for that much, lol. I will have to admit though, there is some sucker out there that has purchased from them, LMAO. If they go for that much, I had better move and get to breedin

Rod
03-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Golden albinos retail for about $150 here in Australia, thats about 100/110 us dollars. We also have much higher import costs than american importers due to our quarantine rules, so $500 each....omg.

discusdave
03-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Can you say "OUT OF YOUR FLIPIN MIND" for anyone to charge that for a fish? And then even more "OUT OF YOUR MIND" if anyone buys one for that much, lol. I will have to admit though, there is some sucker out there that has purchased from them, LMAO. If they go for that much, I had better move and get to breedin

About two months ago I sold two Zebra Plecostomus on Aquabid for $250 each. One was local pickup and the other shipped Fedex next day for an addditional $75.

Dave

Dave C
03-09-2006, 06:46 PM
A few months ago a local guy sold 12 adults & 10 1" fry of L046, Zebra plecos for $5500... all to one person.

goheel
03-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Out of all fish, I would say asian arowanas are the most expensive. The can get to 5 grand easily.

Dood Lee
03-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Out of all fish, I would say asian arowanas are the most expensive. The can get to 5 grand easily.

I've heard of beautiful koi fish being sold in Japan for upwards of $10 grand U.S.

White Worm
03-09-2006, 09:33 PM
Like I said... OOYFM! Unless......you really like fish and you have crap loads of money just sitting around collecting dust, then, why not. I think that goes far beyond simple hobbies. If I had that kind of money, I would have one heck of a private collection and forget a fish room, i would build a seperate fish house. Can you imagine?.....how cool would that be. Me and the wife are fixing up a doublewide mobilehome right now to sell and I keep trying to get her to let me turn it into fish house. As you can imagine, she is not going for it. We stand to make about 20-30k which she said I use towards fish room, so....... I can deal with that!

Vince+Carrie
03-09-2006, 09:40 PM

At this same lfs, they have a huge arrowana (the store owns it, not for sale). The price on it is $25,000 - the fish even has an id chip implanted in it. I can't imagine buying a fish that cost as much as a car :p

Vince+Carrie
03-09-2006, 09:42 PM
The interesting question is... what do they do with them when they don't sell? Do they start getting stunted and sick in the store? And how much did the LFS pay a piece for each fish?

I really wonder...someone must be buying them. These guys get new discus in fairly regularly. I should ask them about the price and see what they say.

turkis
03-09-2006, 10:08 PM
One of the larger lfs in town just got in a tank full of 2" golden albino discus. They looked pretty nice, good shape, small eyes, all that.

But they were asking $500 per fish :confused:

I was shocked. That's an awful lot of money. Is that normal for those, or is this place just waaaay overpriced?

It is not unusual, the importer gets it a certain price, he doubles it to pay for his cost of shipping, import duty tax, etc. and the LFS will triple it.
Mario

CAGE-RATTLER
03-10-2006, 06:52 AM
Go back and ask them what they would charge for a full grown one? ........ lol

Better yet if they get that much for them ................ buy some at normal price and grow them to 5 inches and then ask them how much they'll give you for them :D

CAGE-RATTLER
03-10-2006, 06:54 AM
Vince+Carrie contact Frank at Gold Mt. Discus I am sure he has a few Golden Albinos for sale. I am pretty sure he ships to Canada also.
http://www.goldmountaindiscus.com/

Sounds like Frank should contact this LFS and make a fortune suppying them with gold albinos ..... lol.

fishfarm
03-10-2006, 10:32 AM
I bought ten last year for $500. $50 each I can handle, but $500! Mine are growing out nicely. Ken

JMArtist
03-10-2006, 12:19 PM
$500.00 for one discus???
That is insane.
Ask them if that comes with a daily maintance team and free food for the life of the fish....Also, is it pooping golden nuggets?

DiscusStudent
03-10-2006, 12:25 PM
MAYYYYBE If it was for the breeding pair of that spawn, but even than....

MiamiDan
03-10-2006, 01:02 PM
I paid that moneys once for one fish...Hypacyntrus Zebra L046 (Zebra Pleco), but that's because it cannot be imported anymore.:p

White Worm
03-10-2006, 01:10 PM
NUTZ! I hope that pleco cooks dinner and cleans the house because it would have to earn its keep somehow.

MiamiDan
03-10-2006, 01:32 PM
NUTZ! I hope that pleco cooks dinner and cleans the house because it would have to earn its keep somehow.

LOL...no, he didn't cook, but I made some $$ out of them. Anybody that invest this kinda money should better be thinking breeding. Zebra plecos had small clutches...4-7 fry, once or twice a year, so that brought the price high. Plus they need a colony of at least 3 to get started. I ended up with 13 adults & somebody made me an offer I couldn't refuse for all of them. I'm glad I'm back into Discus, much prettier fish.

Now, if we're talking moneys for fish...how about exotic Arowamas?? I've seen some fetching upwards of $20,000 a fish!

CliffsDiscus
03-10-2006, 02:16 PM
The golden albinos are only $50 at the stores, in the SF Bay Area. You might
want to plan a Discus buying trip, recently Adult Blue Diamonds are only $30,
some of these Discus will be on Aquabid.

Cliff

White Worm
03-10-2006, 02:24 PM
MD...Glad to hear you made some money back on that investment.

Hey Cliff, they should be offered on BAD first huh? Whos got em?

ButterflyDiscus
03-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Hello...
here in Germany Golden Albinos are 145€ ~ 180US$.
Itīs the same old story for new strains. After 2 years, when lots of people breed them and supply, prices sink.
Regards
Hartmut

CliffsDiscus
03-10-2006, 06:49 PM
The Albino Golden is not even a strian maybe only 20 percentage of a batch.

Cliff

White Worm
03-10-2006, 06:57 PM
I have one that i got recently. I have heard of short gill plates but have you ever encountered outward flared gill covers? Like a potato chip, curved outwards slightly at the opening.

aisarang
03-11-2006, 08:17 PM
The only time a discus would be worth anywhee in the triple digits is if its competition grade, or if its part of a breeding pair. Tell that local fish store he's bein an idiot, and those albinos will never sell. Albinos, although harder to breed then other strains, is not gonna garner 500 dollars, especially at 2 inches. Even competition grade discus can only be properly graded, at around 4 inches. Anything before that is all instinct. The price of a albino would never go for more then 100 something at 2-3".

roadspike
03-12-2006, 03:35 AM
generally, a decent quality golden albino will only cost USD20 in Malaysia for 2". Uh well is Malaysia, the biggest discus exporter in the world and golden albino is pretty easy to come by nowadays. USD500 is totally insane even after the quarantine, shipping n etc. Lately we even have Albino Snakekin, Albino Red Golden Diamond and Albino Blue Diamond. Yes, Albino with 14 bars and fine line. I wonder how much it will cost you guys when Albino Snakeskin/ RGD/ BD hit your shores and by the way, Albino Snakeskin/ etc is still pretty rare over here.