PDA

View Full Version : Filter Confusion

waterbaby
03-09-2006, 02:38 PM
Simply Discus Team. I am an "old" aquarium girl but new to Discus and I have a question concerning filtration. I have an 80gal that has previously housed larger Ciclids. I have moved them off to a 120 (pleco was huge) and plan to populate the 80 with 6-8 discus. My ammonia is 0, nitrates 0 etc. The tank has been set up for 3 years. Anyway I see alot of comments concerning filters that use carbon. I currently have 2 whisper 60's running and I use the cartridges that I can get "pre-made" that have the carbon inside (easy for me). Should I change this out or just get the filters that I can load, but not put carbon in them. What are the carbon concerns, and are there any other areas of concern in using this tank? It is currently up and running just un-populated until I can get this concern addressed. Please feel free to give a girl a hand with any advice you can.
I am not planning to breed Discus, I just want to enjoy them.
I have read all of the threads and info and find this site exceptional.
Thank You
Jami

pcsb23
03-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Jami,

Welcome to simply, very nice name too if I may!

The principle concern over carbon is that it is an indiscriminant remover of chemicals from water. By that I mean it will remove bad things, like chlorine and heavy metals but it will also remove good things like the trace elements discus (and other fish) need. There is aplace for carbon in discus keeping. usually when we need to remove medicines form the ater or if we suspect a toxin may have got in there.

There is believed to be a relationship between continual use of carbon and HITH, based on many peoples experiences. Personally I believe it exists when you consider that the water we keep discus in is usually very soft with few disolved minerals, and hence trace elements in. If the carbon is removing the already scarce trace minerals then the fish is being starved of an important part of its diet.

There is nothing wrong with the tank size you specify or with your suggested stocking level. Do you intend to use the currently cycled filters on that tank? If so you will need to keep the filters 'fed' until you get the discus in there.

hth,
Paul.

Ryan
03-10-2006, 01:44 AM
Also, there is the chance that once the carbon is exhausted it can leech bad things back into your tank. Which means you have to stay on top of the problem by changing the filters regularly and before they have the chance to release anything back into your water. For most people, I think it's just easy to do without and cut out the risk.

Ryan

waterbaby
03-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Paul,
Based on what you have told me, no I will not keep the current filters in the tank. I will go a different route eliminating the carbon factor. I appreciate your input and yours too Ryan, thank you both. I'm sure I'll be using the SimplyDiscus knowledge base as time goes on. Thanks again guys.
Jami

Alight
03-10-2006, 07:44 PM
I use Whispers on some of my Discus tanks. You can just pull out the carbon from the filters, or buy the filter cartridges where you would add you own carbon, and just put the polyester on the frame instead. You can also buy foam inserts for these filters that fit just in front of the polyester frame. These will work just fine, without the carbon. I suggest you put foam sponges over the filter intakes of the Whispers, to increase your biofiltration (not necessary, but will virtually eliminated cleaning the foam and inserts). Do not throw out the poly inserts or foam. Merely rinse them thoroughly ever so often.

These inserts and foam are where your biofilter resides. If you throw them out or clean them in chlorinated tap water, or very hot water, you may end up having an ammonia and nitrite spike.

Best to just take the carbon out of the filter inserts you have, which should be nicely cycled. If your tank has been without fish for less than a few days, the tank will be OK for fish immediately. If more than a few days, and less than a 3 weeks, you can tweak up the biofilter by adding clear ammonia to your tank (about 5 drops for every Discus you will add) each day. Do this and monitor ammonia and nitrite levels. Within a few days, the ammonia and nitrites should be zero each day before you add more ammonia. Do a 100% water change the night before you add your discus and you should be all set.