PDA

View Full Version : I know another newbie???

qoperator
03-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi everyone. My name is Matt. This is my first post. I have read most of everything that has to do with starting a "new" discus tank, but I am looking for info on starting a Discus tank from an exsisting tank. Here is a little more info.
I have a community tank right now. I will be taking about 90% of my fish back to my LFS for store credit, "food". I want to know if I need to treat my tank with meds or anything else before I get my Discus. I plan on getting them next weekend from Ken in Atlanta. Tank stats, 75 gal, planted, pressurized co2, Eheim filter, Powerhead/sponge filter and ph 6.8. I hope I don't sound to paranoid, but I don't really know much. Any info will be great.

Jarrod
03-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Hello Matt and welcome to Simply!!...You've found the right place to come for help and info on setting up a new discus tank. I'm a "newbie" to discus as well and have found this forum to be a wonderful source of help and information that is beyond compare! I can't give you much if any advicehere on what to do other than listen to waht the more experinced folks here can ell you and to go thru all the "stickys" on the various discussion forums here that relate to what you have now and what you want to do with the discus. All the folks here are very very helpful and will help you get started in the right way with advice and suggestions..again welcome to Simply and hope your setup and all goes just like you want it to. Best of luck and enjoy!
Jarrod

Dissident
03-09-2006, 11:58 PM
Welcome :)

Well first off you are doing the planted discus tank the right way :)
You have no idea how happy that makes me. Planted first then add Discus, good good.
The only problems you will run into IME:
High temp and some plants
O2 levels will be low for the Discus, you may want to airate the water some. It is hard to ballance with the CO2 system.
I have had no issues with Barr EI using ferts from Gregg Watson's site. They may show some stress if you are using Excel (but with a pressurized CO2 i would assume that u are not).

I have had no problems gorwing out 7 2-2.5" discus in my 110 planted. Get them accempting tetra-bits will make your life a whole lot easier. But still treat them to some blood worms and shrimp.

Don't be too paranoid, I was for a long time then had a bad experience with some bad Altums. Find a local hobbiest breeder and get some discus at a good price, grow them out and move one to bigger and better things.

Most of all enjoy it and have fun.

Remember Takashi Ammano's saying 'Healthy plants means healthy fish'
.... or something like that :P

Carol_Roberts
03-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Best bet is to talk to Ken and do as he advises :)

qoperator
03-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing Carol. Thanks for all the input.