PDA

View Full Version : Nobody Home?

Robo
03-10-2006, 12:42 AM
Dear All,
I'm forseeing a problem i might be facing...if i've free-swimming today, that is!
Days-old and weeks-old fry require frequent feeding and wc daily...Now what can i do on a full day where no one is at home to take care of them! I've been screening through the site but couldn't get a solution for this..
Hasn't there been anyone who's faced this? I've been reading up many books on discus rearing for a solution as well - only one mentioned this: "by dropping a tablet or two of the algae waffers (those meant for feeding bottom fish) for fry to last a day, and could minimise fouling water". Anyone care to share their experience on this?

Really had a hard time finding a suitable title for this, and hope i've posted in the right thread...lol:p

Thanks so much,
Rob

Giniel
03-10-2006, 01:31 AM
Hi I too am gone mosty of the day. I solve this problem by feeding when I get up and again right before I leave. When I get home I feed again and do a water change then feed again before bed. in between times the very young will feed on the parents. Some people use an automatic feeder after they are eating flake or pellet food.
Hope this helps out some
Debbie

Carol_Roberts
03-10-2006, 05:18 PM
I grind up tetra bits and put in tank in AM

Robo
03-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks Debbie and Carol,
I'm presuming the stage where fry (or juveniles) are already away from their parents, thus would require frequent feeds per day.

Carol, does 'AM' meaning morning?

Jeckel
03-12-2006, 05:10 PM
A few years ago a gizmo was put on the market for continuous feeding of live brine shrimp to fry. I think I saw it in a large pet store recently but don't remember the name or manufacturer. Basically, it's a self-contained shrimp hatchery that's open to the aquarium. The exit opening is oriented so that the aquarium water is on top of the salt water. Since salt water is heavier, it stays inside the device without mixing with the tank water. But the shrimp are attracted to light and swim out into the tank continuously.

Carol_Roberts
03-12-2006, 05:11 PM
AM = morning :)

DiscusStudent
03-12-2006, 05:23 PM
I believe Jeckel is referring to the Hatch-n-feeder (http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22683;category_id=3033) where the brine shrimp will swim into the tank when hatched. I'm curious as well to know anyone's experience with this.

Alight
03-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Dick Au (a very experience breeder) says he just feeds fry twice a day with live bbs. First thing in the morning, and then again in the evening. He says the brine shrimp stay alive long enough to provide continuous food throughout the rest of the day. Once they are off bbs, flake and bit food with an automatic feeder during the day, and frozen foods first thing in the morning and in the evening should work well.

Robo
03-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks All! Now I've a much better idea to plan ahead on the feeding schedule in time to come ;)

p/s: the hatch n feed is a very interesting device - but doubt if there are many out there using it.

Rob