PDA

View Full Version : Aggression normal?

MDG
03-10-2006, 01:20 AM
Is it common for there to be one discus out of a group to chase the others away? Mostly when food is present there is one out of the 6 in the tank that will chase the others away and not eat until they are at the other side of the tank ... in no time at all the others have joined him in eating but after a while he chases them away again. I've noticed this behaviour even when food isn't present but not as much ... he nudges them until they get out of his corner - no indications of injuries and they are all growing good. They are about 3" and have been in a 20 for less than 2 weeks. Their 55 gallon tank is ready and will be transfered today. I'm hoping that a larger tank will ease the bullying but I'm still thinking that they are cichlids. Is this normal and what can I expect?

Ryan
03-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Yes, it's normal. Discus are cichlids like you mentioned and so they share some of the famous cichlid traits. Aggression and rank are among them. The move to the larger tank will be a good thing for them because there will be more room for them to chase and swim and get away from each other. It should diffuse some of the aggression.

I've had groups of discus where one or two fish would hoard food. If your tank has a pretty mild current, try feeding on opposite ends of the tank. My problem is that the flow from my AquaClear created a current and caused all the food to swirl to one end of the tank where it piled up. Then the dominant fish would defend it and chase other fish from it.

I have a little trick with frozen food like bloodworms. I break off a chunk, hold it between my fingers, and swish it back and forth at the surface across the length of the aquarium. As it melts, it scatters throughout the entire water column and gives everyone a chance to chase after their fair share.

Ryan

DarkDiscus
03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
I personally also find that discus are especially tough on one another at about 3" or so - for the most part my bigger fish are pretty darn mellow!

They will be better in the 55 gallon, though the chasing will continue. Once they get a little older and the pecking order is thoroughly established, you should be just fine!

John

MDG
03-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm glad to hear that it's normal behaviour and nothing to be concerned over. It wasn't something that I was expecting from them but really doesn't surprise me either.

DarkDiscus
03-10-2006, 03:52 PM
The only real problem that could arise is if one fish is the brunt of all the others and takes a real beating. Discus are not overly savage fish, but this can happen. In this case using a divider can be helpful.

John

mattphish
03-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Does this happen before or after they say Grace?

;)

PRESTON4479
03-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Would it be a good ideal to take out the large one that is doing the bullying and put him in a different tank for a little while so the others have the opportunity to eat and grow? My red turq doesn't give the others a chance to eat.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Preston

Dany
03-16-2006, 02:15 PM
The aression will die down once the pecking order is established. If you remove the the dominant fish now another discus will take its place and become the dominant fish and then be the one that is bullying the others. My advice, leave it along and let them establish the pecking order and once it's established the agression will die down. I'm in the same situation as you right now. I have 7 discus (average 3" in size) in a 55g tank and there has been alot of aggression in the tank for a week now. It might take 3 weeks for the pecking order to be established. Just watch them carefully and make sure that no discus is becoming really stressed and become sick. Although, the discus that is in the bottom of the pecking order will eat less and be stressed out alot, it shold be fine.

DAny

PRESTON4479
03-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the reply Dany! I think I will try leaving them alone for a while.

Preston