PDA

View Full Version : BB Conversion Emergency

chago09
03-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Ok I took the fish out put them in a 30 gallon and kept my large filters from 70 working on the 30 so the bacteria stays good. Fish are all really dark and I am afraid may get sick from this whole experince???? I took all flourite out of tank but its to big for me to absolutly clean it in a tub or something so I did my best getting everything out. right now it is filling up but because some flourite dirt is left in there the water looks like its dark brown???? i dont want to put the fish back in there if its like this. Well the water will be all fresh new water but the filters are both cycled filters so will they be aloud back in the tank tonihgt???? someone just help me lol

candyl70
03-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Hey... :)

I did the same thing a few months ago on my 36 gal. What I did was to fill up the tank a few times and empty it back out, then I wiped the insides down with paper towels to try and get all the little pieces out. Then I filled it back up with fresh water and everything was fine. Your fish may just be a little stressed from all the commotion. Just keep a close eye on them. Oh.. and your filters will be fine.. just make sure to dechlor the new water before putting the filters back in the tank.

Hope that helps ya out some!

Candy

pcsb23
03-10-2006, 06:07 PM
I would not put the filters or the fish back in there tonight. Let the water settle, use a syphon hose and remove the sediment from the bottom. Top it up and warm it up then if its clear you can add back the filters and fish.

You would have been better off syphoning small amounts out at each water change, causes a lot less disturbance and stress to you and your fish.

Do a small water change on the 30 tonight too!, don't forget to add conditioner if its needed. Make sure there is a working heater in the 30 too.

The fish will be dark because you have moved them, it always causes them some stress. Add a little salt to the 30, 1 or 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons.

Paul.

chago09
03-10-2006, 06:34 PM
ok well the gunk is starting to settle but at the bottom it looks like a substrate of brown sand lol its like a film from the flourite. I guess I can just vacuum that up each wc from now on. Is that flourite in the water dangerous to the fish???? Like if it clears up but still has a little bit will it all be ok if I throw them in???