View Full Version : Solid black possible?

jgonzalez
03-10-2006, 11:32 PM
I just saw aome new BP at a local FS that had a lot of peppering, and had another very nice looking discus that was dark solid orange on his body and the dorsal and anal fins where black (they call it fire pidgeon??). Anyway, I was wondering, and it may be stupid, if I start crossing peppered discus with these black fined ones, and crossing them again with more peppered ones. Could it be possible to eventually get a solid black discus?

stiver james
03-11-2006, 03:17 PM
I have been wondering about crossing certain strains to get a solid black discus myself. Iam no expert and can not answer your question. I will leave it up to the experts. But I was thinking that one might have better luck using a blue ghost. It is already grey. One would just have to find a suitable mate that would produce a black fish. I could be way off base on this way of thinking but, maybe someone with a little bit better knowledge of breeding discus can coment on this thread. Jim

03-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Solid Black Discus with a nice red eye, I'm curious to see it!

Martin
03-11-2006, 04:33 PM
How would you know if it was stressed ? :mad: :(

Alight
03-11-2006, 07:40 PM
I asked this previously. I have a half black fish with some blue on its fins. The black is velvet black, like a black molly. It mixes very well. The bottom half is obviously pigeon.

From what I see on this fish, an all velvet black fish would be very nice, and one with blue in it's fins would also be very nice.

I've heard rumors that the asians are working on them.

Al Light

candyl70
03-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Hey Al.... how would you be able to tell if it didin't feel well? Eye color, and clamped fins?

marilyn1998
03-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Al,

Post some pics?? I am curious if the yare as gorgeous as black velevet angels. MMMM, bright red eyes??? And blue tint in fins??? I would buy em!

Alight
03-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Check out this link. I posted some pictures of this fish a while back. It's much bigger now. I'll have to shoot more pics. It looks better and better.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=45074&highlight=Black+Discus

Al Light

marilyn1998
03-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Wow al! I think I would try to get it spawn with some seriously peppered pigeons. Might get some interesting fry. I would help offload some of them for ya while you are trying! ;)

jgonzalez
03-11-2006, 11:24 PM
well, I'm guessing there should be more black genes in any discus than yellow or white, and yet there are a lot of solid yellows and whites, but no blacks... Imagine, you wouldn't have to worry of color enhancing any more:p BDs and pigeons won't show stress dicoloration either, so for a solid black, you'll have to check on behavior, fins and breathing. If I had one... I'm sure I would call him Darth Vader:alien:

Alight
03-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Some of the fish club members here in Utah have seen some others similar to this in Utah. When I get time, I'll try to find a female from them, and see what they can do.

Al

BIGFOOT
03-12-2006, 10:28 PM
I have seen pics of half black discus. And the other half was a blue diamond butt I cant remember where.

Giniel
03-14-2006, 12:53 AM
I think it would be a very nice fish to have. I have this one . Unfortunatly he found a cobalt female he liked better than all the peppery pigeons I have.
Debbie